Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My GP-100 Findings

2 posters

Go down

My GP-100 Findings Empty My GP-100 Findings

Post by Paper-Puncher 7/17/2012, 2:17 am

Ive really been enjoying the Gp-100 and the .38 HBWC loads of 2.7 WST......Ive been shooting it with the open sights ,single action, slow fire mostly.....I'm pretty happy with the accuracy of the gun and really cant imagine a model 14 would be that much better...Ive been getting 1'' O-T-O at 25yds from sand bags and most of the shoots that I call as good are right where they should have been ....I'm sure there are some guns that do better than 1'' at 25yds but I would guess Ive got a pretty solid performer .......After 50rds yesterday I had a little lead in the rifling just past the forceing cone , maybe a 1/4'' or less but no lead down the rest of the barrel at all....I am considering a cylinder throat ream to .358 but not really overly concerned about it....the bore seems to be .357 and the throats are right there with it or maybe .3575 which could explain the slight leading I get in the barrel throat ....Ive got the trigger right at 3lbs with a little polishing and a return spring change ..it does have a hint of creep but I dont feel I should try to address that myself as the creep is smooth and I tend to shoot better with a little trgger movement before the shot breaks.....I was wanting a full lug 14 or even a standard 14 but Smith and wesson said a 8-9 month wait on a new one and all the used one's I found looked like they had spent most of their life in a holster and had alot of use so I just went with the Ruger and hoped for the best.....Maybe I got lucky but once I started useing a good resting technique the gun will cut one nice hole rested and shoots very nicely from the hand....the .357 mag chambers have not be a issue with the .38 case's or loadings.....as I thought it might be.....Only negative point is the gun would seem to be a little picky ..it likes the Remington Factory 148 HBWC's and my Hornady handloads also 148 HBWC's ...I have not been successful with a 158gr loading as of yet...and DEWC's lead the barrel more quicky again A throat ream may fix that....At this point the only things I want to change on the gun is the stock rubber grips with some nice wood ones and the front sight .....and for that I think I can just order a new front stock sight and modify from there....Mill the back flat instead of the ramp and drill a small hole and incert a small brass rad for a focus point....and of course touch up the blueing.....One thing for sure...My .22 and .45 scores have gone up since Ive started shooting the revolver....and my slow fire scores with the wheel gun are in 85-89 range which was kinda surpriseing ......all and all I cant complain the gun fills a spot in myy toy box that Ive been wanting now for awhile and it would seem to be a very useable target gun......................................keith

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

My GP-100 Findings Empty Re: My GP-100 Findings

Post by Larry Lang 7/17/2012, 9:13 am

Keith,
I suggest, for the 158s, you try more powder ~3.2g.
Larry Lang
Larry Lang

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher 7/17/2012, 3:09 pm

Larry,

I believe I tryed 3.2 & 3.4 BE ....But it was when I was resting the gun incorrectly ,so at this point I need to get more bullets and try again.....I may go as high as 3.5 BE or work up a equal load of WST ..I really like that powder , Very clean & consistent as well as it meters very nicely....

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down