I would like to document every target before walking downrange to score and repair it.

Go down

I would like to document every target before walking downrange to score and repair it.

Post by IT1 Wes on 6/24/2018, 6:54 am

I would like to document every target before walking downrange to score and repair it.
Please suggest a make and model of a digital camera or camcorder that will zoom and focus on a 20-inch
 black target center circle enough to count the bullet holes in it and take a still picture.
avatar
IT1 Wes

Posts : 90
Join date : 2017-11-19
Age : 64
Location : Wesley Chapel, Florida

https://bookspublicdomain.com

Back to top Go down

Re: I would like to document every target before walking downrange to score and repair it.

Post by Boxturtle on 6/24/2018, 7:26 am

My Pentax K5 will do it, as will almost any high quality DSLR.  You'll have to spend some money on a good telephoto lens, and you'll need to put it on a steady tripod, and keep clear of the firing line.

Boxturtle

Posts : 85
Join date : 2017-09-15
Location : Eastern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: I would like to document every target before walking downrange to score and repair it.

Post by IT1 Wes on 6/24/2018, 8:00 am

Boxturtle wrote:My Pentax K5 will do it, as will almost any high quality DSLR.  You'll have to spend some money on a good telephoto lens, and you'll need to put it on a steady tripod, and keep clear of the firing line.
I've seen a clamp to mount it on which will clamp onto the shooting station table. Better than a tripod. Thanks for your quick response.
avatar
IT1 Wes

Posts : 90
Join date : 2017-11-19
Age : 64
Location : Wesley Chapel, Florida

https://bookspublicdomain.com

Back to top Go down

Re: I would like to document every target before walking downrange to score and repair it.

Post by james r chapman on 6/24/2018, 9:00 am

Why not just phone pic downrange before changing targets?
Any junk phone will take pics.
avatar
james r chapman
Admin

Posts : 2785
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 69
Location : HELL, Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: I would like to document every target before walking downrange to score and repair it.

Post by dronning on 6/24/2018, 9:12 am

IT1 Wes wrote:I've seen a clamp to mount it on which will clamp onto the shooting station table. Better than a tripod. Thanks for your quick response.

Not every shooting table is that sturdy!  

Couple of questions:
What resolution are you looking for?  Do you want to be able to blow up the image to be able to score it, or are you just looking for group size position/shot placement?

Sharp image of the bullet holes will require a DSLR and a decent lens that will work in all light conditions.
If you want a good picture of the target but not sharp image of the bullet holes you can use a spotting scope with a cell phone mount.  

I've played with both and both take a sturdy mount that won't get bumped.  
1) Canon 7D Mark II, with a 70-200 F2.8 and IS (Image Stabilization) 
2) Konus Spot 80  20-60X80 with cellphone adaptor & a iPhone 5s 

If you are looking to do analysis then consider video(s) of both you and the target

If you are just archiving the target why not take a picture of the target when you go down to score as james mentioned?

james r chapmanWhy not just phone pic downrange before changing targets?
Any junk phone will take pics.


- Dave
avatar
dronning

Posts : 1852
Join date : 2013-03-20
Age : 64
Location : Lakeville, MN

Back to top Go down

Re: I would like to document every target before walking downrange to score and repair it.

Post by IT1 Wes on 6/24/2018, 9:36 am

james r chapman wrote:Why not just phone pic downrange before changing targets?
Any junk phone will take pics.
Because I can use it as a spotting scope between shots. Can I have it on a tripod or clamp at my shooting station at a competition?
avatar
IT1 Wes

Posts : 90
Join date : 2017-11-19
Age : 64
Location : Wesley Chapel, Florida

https://bookspublicdomain.com

Back to top Go down

Re: I would like to document every target before walking downrange to score and repair it.

Post by james r chapman on 6/24/2018, 10:04 am

IT1 Wes wrote:
james r chapman wrote:Why not just phone pic downrange before changing targets?
Any junk phone will take pics.
Because I can use it as a spotting scope between shots. Can I have it on a tripod or clamp at my shooting station at a competition?

Ahh, ok.
Just don't let technology interfere with your shooting plan.
avatar
james r chapman
Admin

Posts : 2785
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 69
Location : HELL, Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: I would like to document every target before walking downrange to score and repair it.

Post by dronning on 6/24/2018, 2:26 pm

With the set up you are talking about you're adding complexity - more things to go wrong/manage.  I agree with Jim, keep your bench as simple as possible.  It should support your shot plan not get in the way of it.  

Tripod on the bench maybe, tripod on the floor will be in the way and get bumped.  Secure mount on the bench - don't plan on all benches having the same places to mount/clamp to.

As I said earlier I played around with several tech options and the best one was the spotting scope/iPhone linked to an iPad to display the image.  All I had to do was glance over at the iPad to see what happened I didn't even have to move my head, it worked great BUT it turned out to be distracting.  Scope is so simple and no batteries or sleep mode to worry about.

Hey give it a try but if it starts to be distracting be dedicated to your shooting not the tech.
- Dave

I never used any of these setups during a match, only during practice and even then it was never set it and forget it, there was always some tweaking needed.  That's why I never used them in a match.
avatar
dronning

Posts : 1852
Join date : 2013-03-20
Age : 64
Location : Lakeville, MN

Back to top Go down

Re: I would like to document every target before walking downrange to score and repair it.

Post by IT1 Wes on 6/24/2018, 3:17 pm

dronning wrote:With the set up you are talking about you're adding complexity - more things to go wrong/manage.  I agree with Jim, keep your bench as simple as possible.  It should support your shot plan not get in the way of it.  

Tripod on the bench maybe, tripod on the floor will be in the way and get bumped.  Secure mount on the bench - don't plan on all benches having the same places to mount/clamp to.

As I said earlier I played around with several tech options and the best one was the spotting scope/iPhone linked to an iPad to display the image.  All I had to do was glance over at the iPad to see what happened I didn't even have to move my head, it worked great BUT it turned out to be distracting.  Scope is so simple and no batteries or sleep mode to worry about.

Hey give it a try but if it starts to be distracting be dedicated to your shooting not the tech.
- Dave

I never used any of these setups during a match, only during practice and even then it was never set it and forget it, there was always some tweaking needed.  That's why I never used them in a match.

No worries. I am buying it from Amazon, and I will be testing it repeatedly during the first twenty days. I can return it before the thirtieth day from when I received it. I was shopping for the spotting scope, but I would still have had to photograph each target. You can see what I mean if you click the link in my signature which goes to where I post all of my targets.
avatar
IT1 Wes

Posts : 90
Join date : 2017-11-19
Age : 64
Location : Wesley Chapel, Florida

https://bookspublicdomain.com

Back to top Go down

Re: I would like to document every target before walking downrange to score and repair it.

Post by tray999 on 6/24/2018, 10:39 pm

I use a Phone Skope on my spotting scope all the time to take videos of my target while shooting.   I use my iPhone and it works great.   Check it out.  Here is the link: Phone Skope

Jim
avatar
tray999

Posts : 38
Join date : 2017-12-26
Location : Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: I would like to document every target before walking downrange to score and repair it.

Post by IT1 Wes on 6/25/2018, 12:28 am

tray999 wrote:I use a Phone Skope on my spotting scope all the time to take videos of my target while shooting.   I use my iPhone and it works great.   Check it out.  Here is the link: Phone Skope

Jim

Wow. There is so much Phone Skope stuff on Amazon.

[url=https://www.amazon.com/phone-skope/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aphone skope]https://www.amazon.com/phone-skope/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aphone%20skope[/url]
avatar
IT1 Wes

Posts : 90
Join date : 2017-11-19
Age : 64
Location : Wesley Chapel, Florida

https://bookspublicdomain.com

Back to top Go down

Re: I would like to document every target before walking downrange to score and repair it.

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum