Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Offical procedure for weighing triggers

+6
cdrt
Jack H
mikemyers
james r chapman
dronning
310yuma
10 posters

Go down

Offical procedure  for weighing  triggers  Empty Offical procedure for weighing triggers

Post by 310yuma 7/12/2018, 11:13 am

I have tried to find a written CMP procedure for weighing triggers, if someone could point me to it l would greatly appreciate it. So far from the matches l have attended it seems to at the opinion of the match director as to how it is done.

310yuma

Back to top Go down

Offical procedure  for weighing  triggers  Empty Re: Offical procedure for weighing triggers

Post by dronning 7/12/2018, 1:06 pm

CMP
4.3.3 Weighing Triggers Service rifles and pistols must comply with minimum trigger pull weights that are specified in Rules 4.1.1-4.1.4 and 4.2.1-4.2.6. When trigger pulls are checked, the trigger weight must be lifted so that it hangs freely from the cocked trigger. After the trigger weight is lifted, the trigger must be released to confirm that it was properly cocked. A maximum of three attempts may be made to lift the trigger weight. 

NRA Method
9.8 Weighing Triggers - Triggers may be weighed with official NRA trigger test weights at the discretion of the Match Director, Official Referee, Jury or Supervisor. Triggers of pistols used in establishing National Records shall be weighed by a tournament official immediately after the firing of such record score and must meet the specifications of Section 3 for the pistol prescribed by the tournament program. Failure of the trigger to meet the trigger pull requirements shall disqualify the competitor in matches previously fired. While trigger pull is being weighed, the pistol shall be held with the barrel perpendicular to the horizontal surface on which test weight is supported. The rod or hook of test weight shall rest on lowest point of the curve in curved triggers, or on a point approximately one quarter of an inch from lower end of straight triggers. To pass the weight test, a weight of the correct number of pounds shall be lifted by the pistol trigger while in the cocked position and while all safety devices are in firing position from the horizontal surface on which it is resting, until the weight 21 hangs free and without releasing the trigger. Magazine must be removed and pistols unloaded while trigger is being weighed. Pistols equipped with a device to prevent firing while magazine is out must be closely inspected to see that no cartridges are in a magazine or chamber. Magazine will then be inserted and trigger pull weighed. Competitors will be permitted to adjust triggers which have failed to pass the weight test provided they do not occasion any delay. Failure of trigger to pass the weight test is the competitor’s responsibility. 

The reason I put that 2nd to last sentence in bold is I failed a line check at Perry, because I used a new lube and didn't recheck.  They allowed me to move back to an officials table and fix it.  I was in the middle of the line so while they continued checking pistols I worked on the gun and finished ans passed the 2nd weigh in just before the 3 minute prep was done.  I was allowed to continue on that relay instead of moving to a later relay.
- Dave

Offical procedure  for weighing  triggers  Weight10
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Offical procedure  for weighing  triggers  Empty Re: Offical procedure for weighing triggers

Post by 310yuma 7/12/2018, 1:52 pm

Thanks

310yuma

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 7/12/2018, 8:58 pm

And I've found not all armorer's are the same when weighing triggers!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/12/2018, 11:13 pm

Which trigger weight gauges are best?  Is the Lyman electronic gage appropriate?  I have two gauges now, both with internal springs, but the Lyman gauge seems like a more accurate way to do this.

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-7832248-Electronic-Digital-Trigger/dp/B00162QGLS
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 7/12/2018, 11:32 pm

I trust only the lifting weights pictured above.  Even then, when one of my triggers was real close to minimum, my weight set passed it, but Roddy's same kind of set did not.

Still, quality trumps weight.  To me a quality 4# trigger is better than a bad 2# trigger on a 22.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 7/12/2018, 11:35 pm

"Competitors will be permitted to adjust triggers which have failed to pass the weight test provided they do not occasion any delay. Failure of trigger to pass the weight test is the competitor’s responsibility. 

The reason I put that 2nd to last sentence in bold is I failed a line check at Perry, because I used a new lube and didn't recheck.  They allowed me to move back to an officials table and fix it.  I was in the middle of the line so while they continued checking pistols I worked on the gun and finished ans passed the 2nd weigh in just before the 3 minute prep was done.  I was allowed to continue on that relay instead of moving to a later relay.
- Dave"

Indeed.  Don't moly your HB sear the night before the match.  Live and learn....
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 7/12/2018, 11:46 pm

mikemyers wrote:Which trigger weight gauges are best?  Is the Lyman electronic gage appropriate?  I have two gauges now, both with internal springs, but the Lyman gauge seems like a more accurate way to do this.

Actual weights NOT electronic gauges.  The ONLY acceptable gauge for either CMP or NRA are approved weights.  Electronic gauges are OK for springs but I would never trust them to be accurate enough to set a trigger weight for a match.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 7/13/2018, 7:38 am

dronning wrote:
mikemyers wrote:Which trigger weight gauges are best?  Is the Lyman electronic gage appropriate?  I have two gauges now, both with internal springs, but the Lyman gauge seems like a more accurate way to do this.

Actual weights NOT electronic gauges.  The ONLY acceptable gauge for either CMP or NRA are approved weights.  Electronic gauges are OK for springs but I would never trust them to be accurate enough to set a trigger weight for a match.
- Dave
Agree 100%.  More than once, I have had a pistol fail to make weight at a match and the competitor has told me, "it was okay with my electronic gauge".  I had several pistols fail at the last state outdoor match, but the competitors had enough time to work on them, so they passed before we started shooting.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/13/2018, 7:41 am

Which weight kit, with actual weights, do you guys buy so you can test this at home before you get to a match?  Do they come with a range of weights?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 7/13/2018, 8:51 am

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/measuring-tools/trigger-pull-gauges-weights/nra-official-universal-trigger-weight-system-prod9710.aspx
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 7/13/2018, 10:20 am

Wobbley wrote:https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/measuring-tools/trigger-pull-gauges-weights/nra-official-universal-trigger-weight-system-prod9710.aspx
That's the one I have, works for rifles & pistols.  Here is another made exclusively for pistols only goes to 4 3/4lbs it will save you $40. 
Pistol weight kit

- Dave

With a little creativity you also can make one that is just as accurate - use bullets as weight.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 7/13/2018, 11:30 am

mikemyers wrote:Which weight kit, with actual weights, do you guys buy so you can test this at home before you get to a match?  Do they come with a range of weights?
Some of us (me) are real cheapskates. I made one of these for my use. I even made an extra set then forgot who wanted it. Sucks getting old.

Offical procedure  for weighing  triggers  Dscf0411
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 7/13/2018, 2:16 pm

Len, what type or brand of scale did you use to weigh your weights with?  By the way, very nice job on those weights.
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 7/13/2018, 3:33 pm

I weighed it with my wife's kitchen/diet scales. I tested their accuracy by weighing my calibration weights. Electronic scales SCALLO

Len   thanks
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 7/13/2018, 8:25 pm

LenV wrote:
mikemyers wrote:Which weight kit, with actual weights, do you guys buy so you can test this at home before you get to a match?  Do they come with a range of weights?
Some of us (me) are real cheapskates. I made one of these for my use. I even made an extra set then forgot who wanted it. Sucks getting old.

Offical procedure  for weighing  triggers  Dscf0411
That's not "cheapskate."

This is cheapskate:

A Do-It-Yourself Trigger Weight

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 7/13/2018, 8:54 pm

LenV wrote:I weighed it with my wife's kitchen/diet scales. I tested their accuracy by weighing my calibration weights. Electronic scales SCALLO

Len   thanks
  Len, I looked them up, those are pretty accurate scales, and cheaper than I thought $12. I've got plenty of scrap round stock, band saw, drill press, and grinder to make weights. Ah, another project to work in with wifes HDs, I like mine better.
Thanks Len

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down