Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Electronic Target for Practice

+3
Jwhelan939
dronning
lanjo
7 posters

Go down

Best Electronic Target for Practice Empty Best Electronic Target for Practice

Post by lanjo Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:02 pm

Hi All,

I am looking for any advice on an electronic targeting system which I can use indoors to practice my trigger pull.  With these systems you put a laser round into your gun and when the firing pin hits the round it shoots a laser on a target which records a score.  I would like a system that records by score over, say 10 rounds.  Anyone use these systems to practice in the house?  Any which are good, and any to avoid?

Best,

Joe Landry
Richmond VA

lanjo

Back to top Go down

Best Electronic Target for Practice Empty Re: Best Electronic Target for Practice

Post by dronning Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:21 pm

lanjo wrote:Hi All,

I am looking for any advice on an electronic targeting system which I can use indoors to practice my trigger pull.  With these systems you put a laser round into your gun and when the firing pin hits the round it shoots a laser on a target which records a score.  I would like a system that records by score over, say 10 rounds.  Anyone use these systems to practice in the house?  Any which are good, and any to avoid?

Best,

Joe Landry
Richmond VA
I'd get a target system that gives you trace information.  The trace data shows you what you are doing before and during trigger release.  I have a SCATT WS1 but there are several other systems that do a good job for less than what the SCATT costs.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Best Electronic Target for Practice Empty Re: Best Electronic Target for Practice

Post by lanjo Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:41 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion.  That system is $1,500.  Way out of my price range.  Looking for something <$200.  I will look at similar systems.

Thanks,

Joe

lanjo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:16 pm

I would love a Scatt! But it is well out of my price range as well. I have been working with a Mantisx for about a year now. My 45 scores have improved infinitely! I highly recommend it.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:18 pm

I have MantisX and also the LASR app with a Laserlyte bullet. I use both as aids to dry fire training. I set different objectives for the training sessions with the aid of a trace (MantisX) and the laser bullet.

The combo of the LASR app and a laser bullet (Laserlyte or Laser Ammo) is the closest I can think of for Joe. The LASR app has plugins (separate cost), which provide a Bullseye Target with correctly sized rings for a B-16 target and a scoring plugin. I used it with total reliability at distances between 8 and 50 feet. The total cost will be more than $200.
LASR app - $125; plugins - about $40; Laser bullet - about $90; Video camera (webcam will do) with a tripod - about $50. Total runs about $300.

I do credit both training modes Laser and MantisX for helping me get to Sharpshooter (waiting for the card) and now quickly approaching Expert. 

Of course, the biggest benefit is to make the dry fire sessions more exciting and, therefore, helping me to train more. In other words, IMHO, nothing replaces plain old dry fire and the blank wall, but different aids help to keep up the resolve to train.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac2 Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:50 pm

MantisX is low cost - for what you receive - and provides clear information on what you did just-before, during, and just-after shot (or dryfire).   Issue during dryfire with MantisX thinking re-cocking is a shot can be cured by racking with pistol pointed upward.  An attachment to bottom of magazine exists to deal with pistol not having an under-barrel rail.  Amazon Fire 7 or Fire 8 do a good job of displaying information at low cost.

Mac2

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:21 am

Absolutely no experience with this product, but have it on my wish list.
Certainly at least to try it out.
https://coolfiretrainer.com/AWSCategories/p/9/BUILD-A-KIT
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:30 am

Slartybartfast wrote:Absolutely no experience with this product, but have it on my wish list.
Certainly at least to try it out.
https://coolfiretrainer.com/AWSCategories/p/9/BUILD-A-KIT

Doug hall had them at Perry to test out. Pretty much everyone who tried it loved it.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac2 Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:25 am

Wow.  Look at all of the pluming used by Coolfiretrainer and need for CO2.  For half the price, one can have a MantisX system including a Fire 8.   With MantisX, one just places the transducer onto the pistol (or onto mag.) and one is ready to go.  "To go" includes actually fireing (live) ammo and learning what goes on when one fires.  Some follow/cycle a live-fire with a dry-fire -  to train to eliminate bad habits. 
A coach can not always see a deficiency that is caught by MantisX.

Mac2

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:32 am

Mac2 wrote:Wow.  Look at all of the pluming used by Coolfiretrainer and need for CO2.  For half the price, one can have a MantisX system including a Fire 8.   With MantisX, one just places the transducer onto the pistol (or onto mag.) and one is ready to go.  "To go" includes actually fireing (live) ammo and learning what goes on when one fires.  Some follow/cycle a live-fire with a dry-fire -  to train to eliminate bad habits. 
A coach can not always see a deficiency that is caught by MantisX.
All of the pluming? You replace the barrel and charge from a CO2 bottle.
Get a MantisX and Coolfiretrainer.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:43 am

Slartybartfast wrote:All of the pluming? You replace the barrel and charge from a CO2 bottle.
Get a MantisX and Coolfiretrainer.
+1 Yep
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:54 am

Then also get the LASR app with a high-speed camera for Coolfire trainer. The complete package! Smile
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:56 am

But the cooltrainer just makes your gun blowback? Does it help coach in anyway?

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac2 Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:35 am

Dry fire with "blowback" is nice, but not very informative.  Several air pistols exist that include "blow back."  With MantisX, use can include fireing the actual rounds one intends to use (with "blowback").  . . .  and having a diagram that shows pistol movement before shot, during shot, and after shot.  
Trigger finger movement other than right backwards can be detected.  Optimum trigger finger placement is not always by-the-book.  Even a high speed camera might not catch all that is going on.  An associate, a few years back, took lots of high speed pictures of women firing G19 in an effort to improve performance.  Proved inconclusive as FTE and FTL still occurred even when G19 clearly was gripped firmly.  Apparent mass of shooter's arm seemed to help.  Some people need non-standard springs.  One size does not fit everyone.

Mac2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down