Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ammo Component evaluation

+2
S148
10sandxs
6 posters

Go down

Ammo Component evaluation Empty Ammo Component evaluation

Post by 10sandxs 7/29/2018, 9:41 am

I realize there are many opinions on what I'm about to say/request, but I would ask that we keep things on the positive, but critical side.  My goal is to identify a component's "inherent" accuracy potential realizing a specific gun/load combination may not maximize this potential. For example, does powder coating vs traditional lubing on the same bullet, cast at the same time affect accuracy?

Recently, several posts have brought up the accuracy of components used in our ammo. I certainly am aware of the use of ransom rests and use one regularly. However there is still a question of gun quality, technique, quality of the mount etc that is often brought up in the discussion. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has considered building a universal reciever apparatus to test accuracy of components. Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, I wanted to see what's been done in the past. There commercial systems by oheler, and I'm sure others that do this, but I'm not looking to invest thousands of dollars to detemine what may be modest differences, just a simple but reliable system to test potential accuracy, nothing more, nothing less.

Let the DISCUSSION begin, and thanks in advance.

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Ammo Component evaluation Empty Re: Ammo Component evaluation

Post by S148 7/29/2018, 3:51 pm

The only article I know of that has looked at the accuracy of conventionally lubed and polymer coated bullets is this one:

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/3/7/coated-bullets-the-future-of-lead-bullets-for-handloaders/

It's not a definitive comparison that would satisfy most bullseye shooters, but it suggests that polymer coating does not automatically make the bullets shoot worse.

S148

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don 7/29/2018, 4:04 pm

If you want to get the gun out of the accuracy equation, one can use a high quality barrel in a barrel test fixture that is solidly mounted.  David Wilson shows us lots of results of his testing with such a setup.

It's also probable that detecting small changes or differences in loads would require firing lots of shots so you have statistically significant data sets.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces 7/29/2018, 4:47 pm

I have Ransom Rest tested .45 lswc's 200 gr and .38 dewc 148 gr, same bullets, coated and lubed. Powder, load, primers and brass were the same. The coated bullets offered no accuracy advantage.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 7/29/2018, 8:40 pm

AllAces wrote:I have Ransom Rest tested .45 lswc's 200 gr and .38 dewc 148 gr, same bullets, coated and lubed.  Powder, load, primers and brass were the same. The coated bullets offered no accuracy advantage.
I think the advantages iPod coated cast bullets lie in other areas of concern like leading and handling.  they aren’t inherently inaccurate, in my experience.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 7/30/2018, 7:54 am

My experience with Hi-tec coated bullets has been excellent. I've only used them on the short line to date and have found no difference in accuracy.  The real advantage is no lube in your dies and zero leading. In fact i believe they clean up small amounts of lead
 It's a pleasure to simply run a tight patch through the bore and I'm done.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down