Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bench testing

+9
SteveT
james r chapman
Bigtrout
David R
Wmvdg123
mikemyers
gregbenner
bullseye
dapduh2
13 posters

Go down

Bench testing Empty Bench testing

Post by dapduh2 8/24/2018, 8:43 pm

How do you guys being test for ammo/ weapon accuracy? Elbows on bench, bottom of grip on bench, frame on sandbag, something similar to the link below? Which works best... pictures if you got em 

https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Pistolero-Adjustable-Ambidextrous-Shooting/dp/B000VJS4AS
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Bench testing Empty Re: Bench testing

Post by bullseye 8/25/2018, 4:55 am

I made one of these and it works perfectly.
You can make it whatever size you want.

Mine is a lot smaller than his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVz8KlEeHoc

I put a sandbag in front of it to rest my hands on, and I do have my elbows on the bench.

bullseye

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 8/25/2018, 10:07 am

I found better accuracy/success using magnification as well, although I also found bench shooting to be a real art.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/4/2019, 9:44 pm

I recently got the same https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Pistolero-Adjustable-Ambidextrous-Shooting/dp/B000VJS4AS. I tried it for the first time today with a 1911 38 Super in an effort to compare two different bullets (with all other parts of the recipe the same). The results were not conclusive and, frankly, the groups were little better than I can do Slow Fire on a good day.

I sat on a chair leaning forward, adjusted the rest on the bench so that the butt of the gun and the heel of my right hand were resting on the pad, with the forward underside of the frame resting in the "V" which I adjusted up so that the red dot was nicely on the mark. I then cupped my left palm/fingers on top of my right wrist and held it in place, but not too firmly. Tried to make the trigger release as smooth as possible whilst holding the dot closely on the target mark.

What am I doing wrong?

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 6/4/2019, 11:37 pm

I haven't had a chance to try it yet - maybe this coming Friday:

mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Wmvdg123 6/5/2019, 12:36 am

I did tons of bench testing off rests, sandbags, got optics, to be honest I think you should bite the bullet and get a ransom rest. it will save you money in the long run and you will have confidence in your gun.

Wmvdg123

Back to top Go down

Post by David R 6/5/2019, 6:23 am

I have no access to a ransom rest. I have been trying for a long time. I bought a Hyscore pistol rest. Its only OK. I tried sand bags, I tried resting only my wrists or for arms on sand bags. I tried pistol rests. Grip consistany is important. I use the Hyscore swivel pistol rest.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015147522/hyskore-pivoting-pistol-shooting-rest

I never use the swivel feature or the level. I found a small sandbag under the butt keeps me steady.

The last time around I put a 2-6X scope on the Wegand frame optic mount and shot groups with that. It was still hard to hold in a 1" box of a rifle target. I shot the best groups ever. Same gun same ammo as before but groups were smaller. I did so well at 50 yards, I was anxous to try it at 25.
Before the scope, I was getting around 1" or a little more with both guns at 25 yards. With the scope I got some 1/2" and 3/4" groups at 25 yards. 50 yard groups shrunk too. I did nothing but add the scope. Before I had red dot sights.

So like said above, a ransom rest is the only way you can relax your mind.

I am getting groups of less than 2" @ 50yards with both guns, so I am OK with my method.

I also buy a box of Federal 185 FMC target loads to compare to my hand loads.

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by David R 6/5/2019, 6:26 am

Federal vs my hand loads at 25 yards with red dot sight

Bench testing 15562810

My handloads with 6x scope at 25 yards
[url=https://servimg.com/view/20070762/5]Bench testing 20190610

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout 6/5/2019, 7:03 am

I'm getting great 50 yd. results with a plain Hyskore rest.  The vee is adjusted so there is very little space between the butt and rest pad.  I use a 2-hand hold, elbows on the bench  Breathing control is extermely important.  A 2X scope with crosshairs is a must for me.  The red dot results changed from day to day using the same load recipe.  Lastly my trigger is crisp 3 lbs.  I hope this helps.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 6/5/2019, 8:43 am

Problem with Ransom is a rock solid base, operator consistency and a tight slide/frame fit.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 6/5/2019, 9:55 am

A Sandbag and a few ammo boxes is good enough when I don't want to break out the Ransom Rest.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 6/5/2019, 11:16 am

SteveT wrote:A Sandbag and a few ammo boxes is good enough when I don't want to break out the Ransom Rest.
Yep
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 6/5/2019, 11:25 am

james r chapman wrote:
SteveT wrote:A Sandbag and a few ammo boxes is good enough when I don't want to break out the Ransom Rest.
Yep
+1 I'm finding that is very true especially when you add a 1-4x scope.  My technique has gotten good enough to very close to the same results as a RR.  There is an exception, when the gun has a bad or heavy trigger, I can get much better results in a Ransom Rest.  
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 6/5/2019, 2:13 pm

Testing with a bigger scope works also. well, kinda. I posted this picture in Jan 2017. Just for fun.

Bench testing Dscf1011
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 6/5/2019, 2:27 pm

Len, Len, Len.
Always the over-achiever Smile

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 6/5/2019, 2:28 pm

LenV wrote:Testing with a bigger scope works also. well, kinda. I posted this picture in Jan 2017. Just for fun.

Bench testing Dscf1011
Creedmore reclining position???
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 6/5/2019, 7:39 pm

I would need a pager. "help, I'm on my back and can't get up"
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 6/5/2019, 8:02 pm

With a little effort, this could go on your handgun...
You'd need to mount it high enough so you didn't shoot through the bottom of the front lens...

Bench testing Scope-size-weight

More seriously, I hope to get a chance to test my new pistol rest over the weekend.
It's big, and heavy, but the feedback I got so far is that it really does show the capability of a handgun.  
Will try at 50 yards.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Bench testing Empty Hy-Score modified pistol rest

Post by Dipnet 6/6/2019, 3:24 pm

I bought and modified a Hy-Score pistol rest (see image), which I use most often to test loads because of its ease of use. When using it, I hold the pistol with both hands with arms straight and resting on range bench. I rest the base of handgun in a leather forearm rest and try put most of the force holding the pistol still on the grip (instead of the barrel). For me, the point of impact results are virtually identical to firing the handgun. I have a Ransom Rest, which is the bottom line for accuracy testing and ammo performance, but it is a pain to set up and to use at the range (unless I have the range to myself and can make the range cold after each 10-shot string). The modified Hy-Score rest nearly duplicates accuracy observed with Ransom Rest. I keep it in my truck all the time and have helped many people sight-in pistols or adjust pistol sights.

I used two 2x4s glued together for the base and all-thread rod to adjust how far the base sets back from the front part of rest (see images). The way the rest is designed, it is very easy adjust elevation. I am able to duplicate results for same load, so I believe it works. Dipnet
Attachments
Bench testing Attachment
Hy-Score target rest_sm.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(74 Kb) Downloaded 22 times
Dipnet
Dipnet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down