Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CCI Pistol Match 22 miss fire

+7
Olde Pilot
BE Mike
Jon Eulette
Jack H
robert84010
Dcforman
DGW
11 posters

Go down

CCI Pistol Match 22 miss fire Empty CCI Pistol Match 22 miss fire

Post by DGW 9/12/2018, 7:10 pm

I ordered five bricks of CCI Pistol Match for this years league. This weeks first match 60 rounds six miss fires. start the second 60, slow fire I had three in a row.  I shot Pistol Match last year in my High Standard and never had a problem. The rims have a really deep mark so its clearly getting a good strike. What now use it for practice and buy a different brand ?

DGW

Back to top Go down

CCI Pistol Match 22 miss fire Empty Re: CCI Pistol Match 22 miss fire

Post by Dcforman 9/12/2018, 7:37 pm

I had 2 misfires in the most recent brick of CCI SV I opened. Not sure I've ever had a misfire before with it. Both had good, solid strikes. Older Marvel.

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 9/12/2018, 7:41 pm

DGW wrote:I ordered five bricks of CCI Pistol Match for this years league. This weeks first match 60 rounds six miss fires. start the second 60, slow fire I had three in a row.  I shot Pistol Match last year in my High Standard and never had a problem. The rims have a really deep mark so its clearly getting a good strike. What now use it for practice and buy a different brand ?
I would ensure the chamber is clean and the pistol is otherwise properly functioning i.e. oiled. Then I would check the firing pin.

I just had this happen last weekend with my absolutely reliable Domino 602. Shot about 100 rounds and then two light strikes in one mag. Thought that was odd but had finished for the day. Two days later three light strikes on the first mag and I knew the firing pin has broke and sure enough it was. simple fix.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by DGW 9/17/2018, 2:53 pm

Here's four of the miss fires. First one on the left I tried twice. All look like pretty good strikes. I'm going to the range tomorrow to practice. CCI Pistol Match 22 miss fire Thumbn10

DGW

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 9/17/2018, 2:57 pm

Have you tried any other ammo? You might have gotten a bad lot. Seems like the strikes on the left two rounds are lighter. Can you make sure the slide is all the way forward before firing. Do you have a .25 cal bore brush to clean the chamber.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 9/17/2018, 3:11 pm

Pin marks look short towards centre.  Are the rims full diameter?  Has your slide play up and down in battery to raise the firing pin contact?
I have seen a slide be too high for a good strike.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 9/17/2018, 3:16 pm

Check firing pin tip. Looks like it broke the tip off partially. That’s minimal strike.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 9/17/2018, 3:30 pm

Yeah, that tip too.  ^^^^^
I thought also it right after my post
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 9/18/2018, 8:57 am

To eliminate the problem as being the ammo, I'd try it in another .22 firearm.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by DGW 9/18/2018, 2:37 pm

Everything with the gun looks ok. I'll pick up a couple boxs of different ammo and use my Ruger as an alternate to test with. Thanks for the ideas.

DGW

Back to top Go down

Post by Olde Pilot 9/18/2018, 3:30 pm

Marvel firing pins will chip internally sometimes with the chip partially blocking firing pin travel. Also, have had firing pin tip break once. Be sure firing pin is getting full travel and tip is OK. Replacement is easy with only a small punch to remove the extractor roll pin and a #10 Torx screwdriver to remove the assembly. Usually, you can reuse firing pin after removing the chip.

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 9/18/2018, 3:56 pm

I thought I had a broken firing pin on my Marvel but it turned out I had a very tiny spec of brass somehow get stuck between where the firing pin is beveled and the matching bevel in the firing pin block. No backup and it cost me 130pts.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by DGW 9/29/2018, 6:26 am

Problem solved. To much oil on the firing pine.

DGW

Back to top Go down

Post by mr.snakeman 11/7/2018, 2:38 pm

This is a problem I´ve seen more than once. Often the problem is caused by using a spray cleaning/lubrication medium which easily creeps into the firing pin chamber. The solution, regardless of caliber, is to thoroughly clean the firing pin chamber, firing pin and spring and when reassembling use no lubrication whatsoever. This is one part of the firearm that must never be lubricated so as to insure proper and consistent function.

mr.snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post by DGW 11/7/2018, 6:33 pm

The problem is back even worse. I have cleaned it and inspected with a strong magnification.

DGW

Back to top Go down

Post by mr.snakeman 11/8/2018, 5:36 am

This really sounds like an ammunition manufacturing boo-boo. The firing pin indentations on the cases seem to be deep enough for good ignition. Try a trick we use over here: rotate the deviant round 180 degrees and try again. We´ve found that over 50% of the misfired rounds will fire-an uneven spreading of the priming medium seems to be the problem in those cases. In any case I would return the rest of the unfired purchase-including the failures-to your dealer and try another lot #. Mistakes can-and do-happen and maybe you got a batch of rounds where there was a slight  glitch in the primer medium dispersal in the cases. Over the last 40+ years and well over a hundred thousand of .22lr rounds fired, this has happened to me a few times. Not a disaster during training but no fun during competition, especially during rapid fire events. I always have ammo from at least two tried and proven different lots with me during competition-the chances of failure in both is very small. Good luck and hope you solve the problem.

mr.snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Baydawg 11/8/2018, 5:50 am

send it to doug.
Baydawg
Baydawg

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 11/8/2018, 8:14 am

I'm also guessing it's ammunition related. I'm having problems with the last case I bought. I'm having misfires with three different proven pistols. I've contacted the manufacturer and I'm throwing the dud rounds in a box. I'll shoot up this case for training so no big deal. I just hope CCI isn't becoming like Remington a few years back.

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down