Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manufacturers licence

+10
weber1b
PhotoEscape
Chris Miceli
ChipEck
willnewton
Wobbley
dronning
lyman1903
james r chapman
JKR
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Manufacturers licence - Page 2 Empty Manufacturers licence

Post by JKR 9/15/2018, 1:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

The FFL holder that I buy guns through has told me that I need to have a manufacturers license to sell 19ll frames that I've built for use with conversions. I do this as a retirement hobby and only do a couple frames a year. 

Does anyone know if this is a fact?

JKR

Back to top Go down

Manufacturers licence - Page 2 Empty Re: Manufacturers licence

Post by PhotoEscape 9/20/2018, 5:19 pm

Second time in one thread I'm being rightfully corrected.  Yes, that is exactly what I meant, - Jim, when you get tired of experimenting with your next Nelson/Marvel build, and will be looking for good home for it, please ping me.

As long as everyone is live and safe, everything else will come back.  Although I feel the pain of folks that got affected by this and past nature's fritzs and wish it would not happen, as paradoxical this is, - there is a gain in each loss!  I can attest to that!
Thank you, willnewton!
AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 9/23/2018, 6:46 am

I got this straight from ATF.  If you sell a firearm for profit and you're assembling that firearm you are in the business of manufacturing and need an 07 manufacturing license to be compliant with the law.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChipEck 9/23/2018, 8:52 pm

If Jim paid himself minimum wage he would still lose a few hundred on each pistol.  So no profit.  Jim if this argument does not work I promise to visit you in prison at least twice a year:-)

Chip
ChipEck
ChipEck

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 9/24/2018, 8:23 am

Geeze, thanks Chip!

In case anyone thinks I'm turning out these things by the dozen, I've done five in the last four years. Two of those I still have, with the other three given to family members and a friend. So no profit there. I was getting ready to actually sell one to Alex when I got the warning from my FFL holder. Out of caution I backed out of the sale which I really felt bad about. My apologies to you Alex. I do appreciate your understanding in this matter.

I do also appreciate the information provided here!

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 9/24/2018, 10:49 am

If you make up a firearm from a bare frame and parts, like a Foster frame and parts, is there an acceptable way to sell it even years later?   How about consigning at a dealers store?

Assume we are totally unlicensed.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 9/24/2018, 11:00 am

Jack H wrote:If you make up a firearm from a bare frame and parts, like a Foster frame and parts, is there an acceptable way to sell it even years later?   How about consigning at a dealers store?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that if I assemble one of these frames for myself, I have to keep it for the rest of my life!

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 9/24/2018, 11:37 am

JKR wrote:
Jack H wrote:If you make up a firearm from a bare frame and parts, like a Foster frame and parts, is there an acceptable way to sell it even years later?   How about consigning at a dealers store?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that if I assemble one of these frames for myself, I have to keep it for the rest of my life!

My thoughts too.
I have considered making up an AR lower as I have a spare Service Rifle upper.  Not so sure I want to now.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 9/24/2018, 1:56 pm

Here is an interesting article, the best part is that there are multiple citings from the written law and replies to specific questions answered by personal contact with the ATF.

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2017/02/21/am-i-required-to-apply-a-serial-number-to-a-homemade-firearm/

I am not saying this link will provide you with perfectly correct answers, but he has done a pretty good job at providing information from known sources, not just internet rumor.  Don’t forget local and state laws will also come into play and anything can change at any time since his web page was published.

Also building a firearm as a gift is NOT personal use.

You should call your local gun shop and ask them if they will take an unserialized or even serialized, but homemade, firearm on consignment or in trade.  Even if it legal, they may not touch it with a ten foot pole.

Info on this topic has not has been researched by me further than some Googling.  So use it at your own risk.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 9/24/2018, 8:00 pm

if you make the firearm for personal use and use it,  then later decide to sell it that is perfectly fine.. keeping to federal and state laws. clearly stated in Wills link

you see a lot of home built ARs sold person to person. these are not 80% receivers just serialized receivers.

build a BE pistol for yourself.. use it for several years and then sell it... no problem.

oh yeah I live in the Free state of Georgia.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 9/25/2018, 2:39 pm

Jack H wrote:
JKR wrote:

My thoughts too.
I have considered making up an AR lower as I have a spare Service Rifle upper.  Not so sure I want to now.

you own the frame or receiver, (lower for an AR), 

build it, 

used it

tear it down and rebuild it, (don't go from a rifle to a pistol in the case of an AR,,,, bad juju)

wash rinse repeat multiple times, 

enjoy it, 
shoot the everloving stuff out of it, 

when you tire of it, need cash, don't want it no more, sell it, 

if it is an 80%, put a number and  name on it and sell it, 

no worries, 

if you do build  30 a month, sell 29 a month,,  get the FFL..  heck,, if those numbers were 3 builds, 2 sold, get the FFL, 
 if it's couple a year, that you keep for years, and years,  enjoy, 

I have a 7-8 AR's,  not a one was bought complete, built some or part of all of them, owned the first (still have it) since 1984

sold a few of my personal guns  too, maybe 2 or 3,  over a period of years,,   no drama, no worries, helicopters did not hover over my house at night, and if I had a dog, I am sure he would still be alive, 

(cats are doing fine, except that one that is crazy, but he is a cat after all  What a Face )

the TL:DR is don't sweat it
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 9/25/2018, 6:29 pm

ARs are merely erector sets
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 9/26/2018, 12:07 pm

jglenn21 wrote:ARs are merely erector sets
true, but they are the main reason lots have an 07 vs an 01
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 9/26/2018, 1:13 pm

True enough.. takes way different set of skills to make a custom rifle than assemble an AR but both are manufacturing.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2