Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Loads for Clark Heavy Slide

5 posters

Go down

Loads for Clark Heavy Slide Empty Loads for Clark Heavy Slide

Post by chopper Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:51 pm

I just got a Clark heavy slide with the Bomar sights on it and was shooting some cast 185gr swc through it. I would get a lot of stove pipes with these and the recoil spring tested at 10.46 lbs. How heavy is that sight rail and tuner that it wouldn't cycle this bullet with 3.5 grs of BE. Right now that is the lightest spring I have. These were some loads I had left over from a couple a years ago, I do have some 185 with 3.8gr of WST I'll try Tuesday, would these be comparable loads or would WST be more powerful. I also wonder if the original owner used 200 gr loads, I can't ask him, he's deceased. I have a optic rail coming from Clark this week and if I put a dot on it, how light a spring would it take, might just have to go to more powder. These are really interesting pistols,  got it because I'm going to have my primary gun worked on, and will be without a shooter.
 What the heck I touch on my computer now, my typing is all slanted, oh boy!
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Loads for Clark Heavy Slide Empty Re: Loads for Clark Heavy Slide

Post by Jon Eulette Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:03 pm

Stan check your crimp; probably .465-.467 be fine. I would think 3.5 gr should do it. But if crimp is loose it won’t build enough pressure. Summers 180 gr has longer bearing surface and functions light loads similar to a 200 gr. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:08 pm

My Clark .45 Heavy Slide worked best with 3.5 BE and 200 grain SWC's.  The 185's always had ejection problems.  When I replaced the Bo-Mar rib with a Marvel mount and one inch Ultradot, I kept the 200 grain load and it works.  I did go from a 10 pound recoil spring to a 9 pound when I added the Ultradot.  Crimp is .469.

Last edited by cdrt on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:28 pm

Jon I posted a reply in Ian's topic on crimps and I was thinking my .468" crimp might be improved on also, I'll try that also before increasing the charge. Those are nice bullets and not many bullet makers let you know the alloy without asking.
 cdrt, I have a feeling that's what this guy shot (200gr) he was older guy and hadn't shot in many years.

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:28 pm

I'm using 160 cast swc over 4.3 gr BE with a .465 crimp in my Clark Hvy Optic Slide .45

Not sure, but I think it's a 10# spring.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mdlmaker Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:46 pm

I have a Clark heavy slide with a 30mm Ultradot and a 12# spring. My loads have been 4.5gr WST w/ 185gr Zero swchp’s. Chrono’d 760-780fps. Crimp was .469

mdlmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down