Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UD extension tube and polaroid filter

+4
Chris Miceli
zanemoseley
mikemyers
ragged claws
8 posters

Go down

UD extension tube and polaroid filter Empty UD extension tube and polaroid filter

Post by ragged claws 9/22/2018, 12:04 pm

How many of you folks use the UD extension tube (other than for mounting purposes) or the polaroid filter? The reason for my question is that I managed to destroy a new 1" UD trying to get the trim ring to unscrew. With the help of a pair of pliers I turned the muzzle end of the tube into an oval! I'm going to order another UD 1" red dot but will just leave the trim ring in place unless there's an over riding reason to use either, or both, of these attachments.

Thanks,
Kim

ragged claws

Back to top Go down

UD extension tube and polaroid filter Empty Re: UD extension tube and polaroid filter

Post by mikemyers 9/22/2018, 12:29 pm

Next time, try this.

Put the sight down on a "grippy" rubber surface, pointed downwards, and push down, hard, while twisting it CCW to unscrew it.  I've done this before on camera components, and it not only works, it can't damage the components, as it's not doing anything to distort the end of the sight (as would happen with pliers).
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

UD extension tube and polaroid filter Empty Re: UD extension tube and polaroid filter

Post by ragged claws 9/22/2018, 1:05 pm

mikemyers wrote:Next time, try this.

Put the sight down on a "grippy" rubber surface, pointed downwards, and push down, hard, while twisting it CCW to unscrew it.  I've done this before on camera components, and it not only works, it can't damage the components, as it's not doing anything to distort the end of the sight (as would happen with pliers).

Thanks Mike. Sounds like a great idea. I wish I would have asked this question and received this suggestion yesterday.

Kim

ragged claws

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 9/22/2018, 2:19 pm

I remember a couple years back I got a new match dot 2 and had the same issue. I got it mounted on the pistol then tried to remove the adapter ring so I could put the shade on, it was on way to tight. I ended up trying to use vise grips wrapped in tape which still scratched the trim ring up. Then I finally got it off with bare vise grips I emailed UD to ask for a replacement ring, instead of send me a $5 part they blamed it on me which really pissed me off. So I bought the ring and proceeded to sell all my UD products and replace them with Aimpoints, problem solved.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 9/22/2018, 2:46 pm

Sounds like people overtighten things

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 9/22/2018, 3:15 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:Sounds like people overtighten things

Yeah the nimrods in Japan.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 9/22/2018, 4:01 pm

zanemoseley wrote:
Chris Miceli wrote:Sounds like people overtighten things

Yeah the nimrods in Japan.

Very much so..
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 9/22/2018, 8:42 pm

I just hand tighten when putting on my shades. Have not stripped too many of them. Laughing
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 9/22/2018, 9:07 pm

LenV wrote:I just hand tighten when putting on my shades. Have not stripped too many of them. Laughing
the problem isn't the shades, it's the ring you have to remove to screw the shades in. It's tightened by the hounds of Hades....
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 9/23/2018, 12:12 am

Methinks it's the technique, not the tightness.  Think about it - anything you grip the part with will cause distortion, making it even harder to remove.   I had the problem with filters on camera lenses, and filter adapters.  With my bare hands, I couldn't get them to budge. Using the vertical pressure "trick", they came right off.  

(I can't take credit for it - the idea came from the instructions for removing the filter adapter that comes on the Fuji X100 series cameras.  They won't budge - but doing it the other way is effortless.)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 9/23/2018, 12:31 am

If it wasn't too tight, why would you need the unique technique.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 9/23/2018, 7:44 am

I think that part of the problem is in the thin material.....you try to grasp the ring with it's fine thread and distort the diameter, binding the threads.  So you grab harder, binding the threads harder.  When you push on the face & twist you put less tension in the wrong direction & the ring turns out..  Or it could be my perspective is what's distorting...
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 9/23/2018, 9:18 am

Any tool that delivers a crushing grip is not the way to get the ring off.

The trim ring is made of thin metal and when you crush it from opposing sides, as you would with pliers, you distort it into an oval and are actually tightening the threading up.

The natural reaction is to tighten your grip on the ring even more, making it worse.

I have had a tight trim ring, but never needed more than patience and hand pressure to get it loose.  Of course, there may be some installed hopelessly tight.

Mike’s suggestion is spot on. That method lets you apply twisting power with very even distribution of gripping force.  The direction the force is applied ensures you cannot distort the shape of the ring.

-updated- I went to sleep with this thread open on my computer and typed in my response this morning.  Once I sent it, I saw Steve had posted a similar comment while I was sleeping. Smile
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 9/23/2018, 9:52 am

I just use my manly hand and finger strength to turn things. I have yet to be defeated

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 9/23/2018, 12:46 pm

I just slot it and use a massively manly screwdriver to turn it off.
I have no plans to ever take the shade off.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 9/23/2018, 2:42 pm

james r chapman wrote:I just slot it and use a massively manly screwdriver to turn it off.
I have no plans to ever take the shade off.
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. Would like to see a 30mm flat head lol.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 9/23/2018, 3:02 pm

Very Happy UD extension tube and polaroid filter Paint-scraper
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by ragged claws 10/1/2018, 8:50 pm

mikemyers wrote:Next time, try this.

Thanks so much Mike. I just got my new UD 1" in the mail and, sure enough, the trim ring was on super tight. I had ordered some rubber jar openers from Amazon and used one as you suggested. In 2 seconds the trim ring was loose and I was able to screw in the extension tube and resecure the trim ring. A very handy trick indeed.

Kim

ragged claws

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 10/1/2018, 10:14 pm

Glad it worked!  

They should put that in the instructions.....
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down