Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black-T vs Cerakote

+3
Tim:H11
Chris Miceli
spyer40
7 posters

Go down

Black-T vs Cerakote Empty Black-T vs Cerakote

Post by spyer40 9/29/2018, 8:11 pm

Want to get the front strap on a Springfield RO Elite checkered.  Came from Springfield finished in Black-T.  The smiths I've contacted only do Cerakote.  Any opinions on either? Is it a problem to do Cerakote over Black-T?

spyer40

Back to top Go down

Black-T vs Cerakote Empty Re: Black-T vs Cerakote

Post by Chris Miceli 9/29/2018, 8:26 pm

cerakote is gross run it in the white till you can refinish the gun.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 9/29/2018, 8:35 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:cerakote is gross run it in the white till you can refinish the gun.

I don’t think the cerakote option is gross. This is a RO I used as a dedicated lower for my Nelson. 

Black-T vs Cerakote D2bb0b10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sc0 9/29/2018, 8:50 pm

Cerakote is good, but remember that it is ceramic and can be chipped.  I cerakoted my Harley engine and it's holding up pretty good with 10k miles on it so far and is never covered.  I would think that all the BlackT finish would need to be sandblasted off since it is a Teflon type treatment prior to cerakote process.

Sc0

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 9/29/2018, 9:27 pm

cerakote needs a fairly abraded surface to adhere to.. thus the need for blasting with AO or Garnet.. tough stuff when properly applied..

cerakote really doesn't chip very easily as it's a bit flexable.. especially compared to something like Durakote.. I cerakote all my builds now and never have to worry about rusting again..  it will never be as pretty as a high polish bluing but these are work guns..
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 9/30/2018, 1:23 pm

Tim:H11 wrote:
Chris Miceli wrote:cerakote is gross run it in the white till you can refinish the gun.

I don’t think the cerakote option is gross. This is a RO I used as a dedicated lower for my Nelson. 

Black-T vs Cerakote D2bb0b10
  Jason, damn nice target first of all. Is that a new Gen 2 ultra dot (2moa), and what rings are those?
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 10/3/2018, 2:14 pm

I have had just about everything except for Nickel. IMHO my favorite coatings that held up the best have been Park and Black Nitrite. Some people do not trust the additional heat treating that is created by the Black Nitrite process so it is Park for me. Looks Blah but not so bad once it absorbs oil. It also hides scratches. I am sure I am doing the wrong thing but a cold blue stick pen used sparingly cover up most any idiot mark. 

RT
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 10/3/2018, 3:10 pm

Chopper that is an older Ultradot, an “Oakshore Electronic Sights Inc.” model. It’s a 1” tube and 4 MOA. Those rings are Weaver Quad Lock something or other... Walmart.. $10 or $12. They only make a medium and high height. Those are the medium. Pretty low mounting. Matte black finish. I think they also offer gloss.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down