Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slow fire at Timed fire pace

+6
Jon Eulette
bruce martindale
Al
CR10X
john bickar
Bullseye99
10 posters

Go down

Slow fire at Timed fire pace Empty Slow fire at Timed fire pace

Post by Bullseye99 Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:24 pm

Even though Precision pistol rules allow 10 min for 10 shots I find that my scores go up from low to mid 80’s to low to mid 90’s when I shoot Slow Fire at a Timed Fire pace. Some people say to do what works best for you,, but all top shooters do take as long as 8-9 min to shoot the Slow Fire strings. What are the disadvantages of a faster cadence in shooting Slow Fire strings?

Bullseye99

Back to top Go down

Slow fire at Timed fire pace Empty Re: Slow fire at Timed fire pace

Post by john bickar Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:00 pm

Try it for a few months.

Keep diligent notes in your shooting journal.

(NB: I would NOT give you the above advice if I thought it would be detrimental for you.)
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:39 am

What John said.  

Overall, it depends on where you're at in your development as a precision pistol (bullseye) shooter.   Moving from mid 80's SF to mid 90's would seem to indicate holding the shots too long, trying to pick off the shot, etc.  

So, try shooting a single shot during slow fire, but within the same time as you shoot your first timed fire shot. 

Abort if you hold longer than that.   Then, review the shot, call the shot, scope and confirm, regroup and assess, rest and visualize what you want for the next shot.   That will probably get you to 6 to 9 minutes, but each shot will only be a few seconds.  Everything else is either preparation before the gun leaves the bench or assessment and visualization after the shot.  The only round that matters is the one that's in the gun right now. 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:11 pm

CR1 wrote: The only round that matters is the one that's in the gun right now. 

CR

Amen!
When I was shooting competitive target archery, I used to tell myself the same thing every shot. Except I would substitute "arrow" for round and "bow" for gun.

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:51 pm

Extra time in slow fire can result in mental trigger inhibition. In Rapid, you know you need to get on the trigger, recover and repeat. Many RF groups are better than SF groups.  Good shooting is easy and quick. Bad shooting is hard work. No wonder I am so tired!

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:04 pm

Was talking to Steve Reiter earlier this year about it. He said only do it if it is planned! If you are shooting 2 shots plan on shooting 2 shots. If 3 then no more than 3, etc. It has to be part of your shot plan. 
Tom Woods won Perry shooting like this way.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:27 pm

I'm seriously thinking of training for 2 shot slowfire strings next year for 45 at least. I've thrown shots this year in 45 SF that I never would in timed fire. Recoil anticipation is a real mind trip.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye99 Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:29 pm

Excellent advice. Thank you.

Bullseye99

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:23 pm

I think maybe when you are shooting one shot, you are trying to make each shot too perfect and making the gun fire when you see the sight in the right spot.  On the other hand, when shooting timed fire at 50, you are watching the sights and increasing pressure on the trigger and letting it fire when it fires.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:42 pm

FWIW I get tired shooting slow slow fire....  In thirty rounds I may as well go home.  Shooting  timed fire slow fire gets me through the slow fire stuff with energy left for timed and rapid.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:19 pm

Another thing that better scores at a timed fire pace would mean for me is that my follow thru was bad while shooting one shot at a time.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by bdas Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:54 am

As a marksman, if you can consistently shoot low to mid 90s in slow fire when you're shooting at a timed fire pace, then you're also consistently scoring 98+ in timed fire with those same groups... so you should keep doing what you're doing in slow fire and timed fire, and work on your rapid fire until you reach expert, which should be happening shortly.

If you then feel like your slow fire is holding you back, it might be time to re-evaluate what you can do to shoot better in slow fire.  That might mean slowing down (only doing 2 or 3 shots per lift), or it might not.  Like others have suggested, doing worse when slowing down to 1 shot per lift likely means you're over-thinking each shot; holding too long, trying too hard to make it perfect, trying to pick off shots, not committing to the shot/trigger pull, hesitating during the trigger pull, and so on.

But for now, low to mid 90s in slow fire is excellent shooting (and will win you the slow fire portion of most competitions you enter as a marksman or sharpshooter), and you should stick with that, because it's clearly not a disadvantage to you at all.

Dave

bdas

http://guns.dsttr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down