Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

32 ACP Bullet Test -- 64gr Coated SWC

5 posters

Go down

bullet test - 32 ACP Bullet Test -- 64gr Coated SWC Empty 32 ACP Bullet Test -- 64gr Coated SWC

Post by Dr.Don Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:36 pm

Travis Frick (T&B Bullets) is the maker of the popular 60gr cast .314 SWC that many of us have been using in 32acp.  Travis is developing a new cast bullet that has a .314 diameter, no lube groove, and a high tech coating of some kind. It weighs about 64gr in this form. These are not yet quite available commercially, but he asked me (and others) to test some of the developmental bullets.  Below is the test report I provided to Travis.  While he is not yet stocking this bullet, he indicated to me that he is willing to take pre-orders.

Travis,

Thank you for giving me the chance to test your new coated 64 grain SWC in 32 caliber.  Approximately 120 rounds were fired in chronograph and group testing.  All tests were performed using a Pardini HP in 32acp caliber with 4.5” barrel.  The gun was mounted in a solidly anchored Ransom Rest using a grip insert produced by Precision Target Grips specifically for the Ransom Rest.  Chronograph data was collected using a Caldwell chronograph.  All group testing was conducted using 10-shot groups at 50 yards.  For additional clarity I have included both the 10-shot group sizes and the reduced group size if the worst flyer is eliminated from the group.  The testing was conducted starting with a clean barrel, and 5 fouling rounds were fired with the new coated bullets prior to collection of any data.

All testing with the new coated bullets used new Starline brass, WSP primers, overall length of .835, and a crimp of .330.

Results:

1.7 gr Titegroup – 895 fps – 2 groups -- 3.53” / 10 shots (3.00” for 9 shots), and 3.07” / 10 shots (2.25” for 9 shots)

1.5 gr Bullseye – 783 fps – 2 groups --  2.89” / 10 shots (2.75” for 9 shots), and 3.00” / 10 shots (2.85” for 9 shots)

1.6 gr N310 – 987 fps – 2 groups – 4.24” / 10 shots (3.05” for 9 shots), and 3.29” / 10 shots (2.63 for 8 shots, i.e. 2 fliers)

1.8 gr N310 – 1062 fps – 2 groups – 3.56” / 10 shots (2.14 for 9 shots), and 3.17” / 10 shots (2.42” for 9 shots)

Comparison:
For comparison purposes 3 groups were fired using the Hornady 60gr XTP from the same setup following the completion of the coated bullet tests.

2.3 gr Titegroup – 1006 fps – 2 groups – 3.23” / 10 shots (2.47” for 9 shots), and 2.61” / 10 shots (2.30” for 9 shots)

1.8 gr N310 – 947 fps – 1 group – 3.33” / 10 shots (2.10” for 8 shots, i.e. 2 fliers)

Discussion:

Based upon previous testing and use, my most accurate loads with the 60gr XTP have been with 2.3gr Titegroup, with a best test group of 1.88” / 10 shots.  This load is not consistently that good, however, and has given other results in the 2 to 3” region.  My most accurate load with the normal T&B 60 gr lubed SWC is 1.8 gr N310, with a best group of 2.92” / 10 shots and 2.22” with elimination of one flier.  The results shown above for the new coated bullet seem to slightly exceed those of the lubed 60gr variant and approach the range of values seen over time with the 60gr XTP.  However, I would caution against considering these results conclusive in light of the statistically small number of groups fired. 

Closing Remarks:

I do not normally clean the Pardini barrel for 500 or more shots using the 1.8gr N310 load and the 60gr lubed SWC.  These cleanings reveal very little leading with this load in this particular gun.  I cleaned the barrel following the above testing with the 64gr coated bullets.  There was no noticeable leading.  The barrel did show a dark residue which was somewhat resistant to cleaning with Shooter’s Choice solvent, but which quickly came clean with the use of Kroil.  I would not expect barrel cleaning to be problematic with the coated bullet.

Best regards,
Don Hardison
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

bullet test - 32 ACP Bullet Test -- 64gr Coated SWC Empty Re: 32 ACP Bullet Test -- 64gr Coated SWC

Post by gregbenner Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:33 am

Thx Don. Your results are consistent with what I found with a smaller test per my post a few weeks ago. I did receive my new RR inserts from Precision.  Plan to go out in a couple weeks.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

bullet test - 32 ACP Bullet Test -- 64gr Coated SWC Empty Re: 32 ACP Bullet Test -- 64gr Coated SWC

Post by Marv Koler Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:18 am

Thank you for an excellent report! With out the benefit of the knowledge from you folks, I ventured out on my own and had Lee Precision make me a mold for their 32 SWC at .311 and 64 grains. I chose the .311 dia based on the dimensions of the lead slug I pushed through the barrel. While I haven't tried Titegroup or Bullseye my results are very close to yours with one serious exception. If I exceed 1.5 grains of N310 and crimp the bullet they will tumble at 50 feet. Other wise I'm getting excellent results, easily holding 1.5'' groups at 50 feet indoor. 
Having now learned that the Pardini barrel is tapered like a shot gun choke I suspect my tumbling issue is the result of an undersized bullet. I plan to purchase some of the T&B bullets at .314 and do some testing. I also suspect Lee will be receiving an order for a new mold Smile

Marv Koler

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:42 pm

Marv Koler wrote:Thank you for an excellent report! With out the benefit of the knowledge from you folks, I ventured out on my own and had Lee Precision make me a mold for their 32 SWC at .311 and 64 grains. I chose the .311 dia based on the dimensions of the lead slug I pushed through the barrel. While I haven't tried Titegroup or Bullseye my results are very close to yours with one serious exception. If I exceed 1.5 grains of N310 and crimp the bullet they will tumble at 50 feet. Other wise I'm getting excellent results, easily holding 1.5'' groups at 50 feet indoor. 
Having now learned that the Pardini barrel is tapered like a shot gun choke I suspect my tumbling issue is the result of an undersized bullet. I plan to purchase some of the T&B bullets at .314 and do some testing. I also suspect Lee will be receiving an order for a new mold Smile

Mary, you mention 32 SWC RE: your Lee mold. This suggests your Pardini is chambered for 32 S&W Long?  The bullets the Dr Don is referring to, the ones from T&B, are for 32 ACP. They are not interchangeable with 32 Long. 

Generally, the Pardini barrels are closer to .314 than .311, is this was you are referring to?  Excuse me if I am misreading this.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by Marv Koler Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:57 pm

Greg, 
My Pardini is chambered for 32 ACP.  When I push a .311 bullet through the barrel it moves rather easy until I reach the last inch where the bore tapers like a shot gun choke.
When I examine the bullet with a loop, I can see witness marks, made by the groves. I believe you're correct, that their barrel measures .314 at the chamber however it narrows down close to .311 as it exits the barrel. I suspect my tumbling issue, at higher pressures, is caused by gas escaping around the bullet.

Marv Koler

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:09 pm

gregbenner wrote:
Marv Koler wrote:Thank you for an excellent report! With out the benefit of the knowledge from you folks, I ventured out on my own and had Lee Precision make me a mold for their 32 SWC at .311 and 64 grains. I chose the .311 dia based on the dimensions of the lead slug I pushed through the barrel. While I haven't tried Titegroup or Bullseye my results are very close to yours with one serious exception. If I exceed 1.5 grains of N310 and crimp the bullet they will tumble at 50 feet. Other wise I'm getting excellent results, easily holding 1.5'' groups at 50 feet indoor. 

Mary, you mention 32 SWC RE: your Lee mold. This suggests your Pardini is chambered for 32 S&W Long?  The bullets the Dr Don is referring to, the ones from T&B, are for 32 ACP. They are not interchangeable with 32 Long. 

Generally, the Pardini barrels are closer to .314 than .311, is this was you are referring to?  Excuse me if I am misreading this.
SWC = Semi-Wadcutter, not Wadcutter.  Pardinis in .32 S&W Long shoot wadcutters, not semi-wadcutters.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:14 pm

Marv Koler wrote:Greg, 
My Pardini is chambered for 32 ACP.  When I push a .311 bullet through the barrel it moves rather easy until I reach the last inch where the bore tapers like a shot gun choke.
When I examine the bullet with a loop, I can see witness marks, made by the groves. I believe you're correct, that their barrel measures .314 at the chamber however it narrows down close to .311 as it exits the barrel. I suspect my tumbling issue, at higher pressures, is caused by gas escaping around the bullet.

Slugging the barrel should indicate if this is true.  Despite Pardini's claims, I have a hard time believing they actually have barrels that taper toward the muzzle.  If I were to guess, I think they just took straight .32s&w barrel blanks with their larger bore diameters and just used a .32acp chamber reamer instead.  I wonder how much a .32acp Pardini HP's accuracy would improve with a correctly-sized, tighter bore...too bad nobody makes one.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:54 pm

Ah, my bad, I have both, wasn’t paying attention.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:59 pm

mpolans wrote:
Marv Koler wrote:.  If I were to guess, I think they just took straight .32s&w barrel blanks with their larger bore diameters and just used a .32acp chamber reamer instead.  I wonder how much a .32acp Pardini HP's accuracy would improve with a correctly-sized, tighter bore...too bad nobody makes one.
That is my understanding as well. I think someone at Pardini USA told me that. 

I have a .311 sized barrel, faster twist as well, in process of being made (Jon). I’ll post results.

Last edited by gregbenner on Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:00 pm

Greetings,

The new Pardini barrels I have seen have choke applied to the muzzle end.

Grooves normally measure 0.314" and the choke end can measure about 0.312".

I have heard rumors that Giles used to lap his barrels with choke for better accuracy.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:30 pm

Dave, do the Pardini 32 long barrels measure the same?

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:09 am

Greetings,

Both the Pardini 32 Long and 32 ACP barrels have the same internal dimensions. Only the chamber is different.

The choke on the barrels is relatively new, within the last 2-3 years.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down