Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

trigger stops

+5
SteveT
Sc0
bruce martindale
Jack H
285wannab
9 posters

Go down

trigger stops Empty trigger stops

Post by 285wannab Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:57 pm

Here is a subject to talk about.  Trigger stops on a 22.  Good, bad?  I have mine set at the width of a piece of paper from a target, .003 to .005 thousands.  I know everyone uses one but, why?  I was thinking unless you have prefect straight back trigger release your pulling 2lbs then all of a sudden it releases and slams into your frame.  Doesn't that cause movement?
I don't have that perfect release yet should I be getting out my Allen wrench?

285wannab

Back to top Go down

trigger stops Empty Re: trigger stops

Post by Jack H Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:08 pm

I used the stop on my High Standard Trophy.  And I use the HS Sport King which has no stop.  The SK is set up 10X barrel, dot, and grips.  I never have noticed a difference between the two.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:36 pm

Good question, and I think the answer is "maybe". I think it depends on the ratio of sear release force to the remaining return spring force at the time of release. If there is no spring, and all sear, the trigger surges, and the gun can move. Good revolvers without stops has significant rebound spring remaining so the release is good.

My airgun and 22s had no stop. It may be more important in a 1911 with a crisp trigger than a 1911 with a KC roll. 

I would love to hear Jon E. and others opinions as well

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sc0 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:10 pm

Not sure on .22's but don't use or remove most of mine unless built in. Reason is any grit or buildup could interfere with release of the hammer.

Sc0

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:03 am

And maybe grip becomes even more important with a poor trigger & stop settling?

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by 285wannab Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:59 pm

I was wondering if anyone else had any more thoughts on this.  It's interesting that Jack felt there was not much difference.

285wannab

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:42 pm

The trigger stop should set as short as possible or very long (or not used). You either want to hit the stop immediately after the trigger breaks, preferably before the bullet starts moving, or you don't want to hit the stop until after the bullet is gone. Tony Brong did a blog post about them saying many high masters don't use a trigger stop. I suspect the effect of hitting the stop is small, but at that level it is noticeable.

I like the feel of a trigger stop, but I don't know if it's hurting me or not.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:41 pm

I have a 17-4 that was tuned, (no idea by whom) and has a stop
it is set so you pull the trigger, hit the stop, and just a bit of squeeze and it fires, 
the back of the stop is rubber, so you are compressing it just a bit, 

very accurate gun
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:28 pm

To trigger stop or not to trigger stop? I’ve shot pistols both with and without the trigger stop. I don’t think it matters, we adapt to the individual pistols trigger. I now have most of my pistols set up to travel slightly after breaking. I shoot short, medium and long triggers in my 1911’s. I don’t think that matters much either in my case because I have long fingers. I squeeze them all different though; finger placement. I have built pistols for HM shooters that want the over travel screw completely removed; they’ve had the screw self-adjust and lock up the ignition in the middle of a match.
I think it boils down to dry firing the pistol and learning how to squeeze the trigger until there is no perceptible movement from the hammer dropping. Then live fire will reinforce your technique. If you are an iron sight ‘only’ shooter I highly recommend getting a red dot for dry fire practice. It will show you more than you can see from the irons alone.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by NKF Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:32 pm

Personal I like the over travel screw. Once the trigger breaks the shoe stops. With a crisp trigger, it makes a difference for me. I am more consistent with it then not. Is there a right or wrong. No, it has to work for you.

NKF

Back to top Go down

Post by 285wannab Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:10 pm

Took my overtravel screw out and have been dryfiring my gun.  The dot seems to jump a little more than with it.  I will see what happens when I get to the range.  Tomorrow, maybe.

285wannab

Back to top Go down

Post by dhenry132 Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:24 pm

Over travel screw helps me from not doubling with my Hi Standards. I tend to ride the trigger too much.
dhenry132
dhenry132

Back to top Go down

Post by 285wannab Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:32 pm

I wanted to share my findings about my trigger stop.  Took it out and dryfired it for a few nights.  To me it seem my dot was moving more.  Figured I won't know for sure till I went to the range.  Well, shot today and ended up putting the stop back in.  I think my trigger had more distance to  torque without the stop.  It was worth a try.

285wannab

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down