Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trigger components 1911

5 posters

Go down

Trigger components 1911 Empty Trigger components 1911

Post by jim lock 12/4/2018, 10:05 pm

When you have trigger work, or do it yourself, on your 1911's.  What brand components do you use or do you let your gunsmith choose?  Do you use stainless?  How light should I go?  I have a great match gun but the trigger feels like about 5lbs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  
Thanks in advance 
Jim

jim lock

Back to top Go down

Trigger components 1911 Empty Re: Trigger components 1911

Post by Tim:H11 12/4/2018, 11:16 pm

Typically you'd pay a professional pistol smith to do the work and he'll use what parts he sees fit to use - his years of experience in buying and working with different parts from different manufactures will let him know what parts are good to use for the feel you want and what parts to avoid. 

From the advice of more than one person I've come to like EGW parts. I like very much though, the Harrison "Gun Smith Fit" sear and the True Radius sear jig. 

I did the trigger in my 22 conversion frame myself and love it. It uses a Colt sear spring, EGW hammer, EGW disconnector, Harrison sear, and a Greider trigger. It takes a lot of time and testing to make sure you've got not just the feel you want but also that it's safe and reliable.
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by JNW1 12/7/2018, 5:45 pm

There are several excellent brands out there - EGW, Cylinder & Slide, Harrison, Brazos and others.  I know that more than a few brands are repackaged Extreme Engineering components and their parts are outstanding.  If you want to do it yourself be prepared to buy tools, read, and watch a bunch of YouTube videos.  I don’t do my own triggers.
I live in a major urban area, but I do not know of a single gunsmith here that is a real 1911 expert.  Most gunsmiths say they can work on one, but I’ve learned the hard way that ain’t so.  I send my serious work out of state now.  Costs more up front, but I get quality work that lasts.  If you have a local 1911 guru I am jealous.
Jeff

JNW1

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 12/8/2018, 7:30 am

I've had 1911's that had trigger jobs by some top custom pistolsmiths. One thing you want is to have forged, rather than MIM parts. Any top pistolsmith will select those parts for a trigger job. I also have a Cylinder & Slide drop-in kit on one 1911. I think it is as good as most triggers done by top pistolsmiths. With the cost of shipping handguns, the Cylinder & Slide trigger kits, make them attractive regarding price, as well. It is important to select a pistol that is of high quality, where all the holes align, etc. If you have a "Series 80" pistol, it may be necessary to have a pistolsmith do the trigger job because of the need to smooth the extra trigger parts found therein. Before I retired from bullseye pistol competition, due to a shoulder problem, I was an NRA Outdoor Master for years and trigger pull was very important to me. https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/performance-enhancing-kits/1911-trigger-pull-kits-prod5502.aspx
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by markgrabowski 2/6/2019, 6:27 am

Mike, so in your experience this drop in kit from Brownells works as advertised?

markgrabowski

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down