Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ultradot vs fastfire

+4
David R
weber1b
Doug Tiedt
bernacp
8 posters

Go down

ultradot vs fastfire Empty ultradot vs fastfire

Post by bernacp 12/14/2018, 11:28 am

I been using for years Ultradot in my rail wad gun and my .22 but recently I been experimenting with the fastfire 3 in both guns with positive results . Does any one on the forum have experience in both systems and whats your opinion. Thank you. Bernie
bernacp
bernacp

Back to top Go down

ultradot vs fastfire Empty Re: ultradot vs fastfire

Post by Doug Tiedt 12/16/2018, 4:35 pm

Bernie,

If you have tried both and are having positive results with the 2nd option, then what do you care what the forum thinks?  You have to find what works for you!

Or perhaps you need to state your question more precisely?

Doug

Doug Tiedt

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 12/16/2018, 8:15 pm

I started out using the Fastfire III on both my 22 and my wad gun. I liked them but have switched to Matchdots. One of my issues with the Fastfire is the mount on my 45. It was set in the sight cut in the back of the slide and held in with a single set screw. It would come loose after a period of time and would have to be remounted. Had I stayed with them I was just going to do a planned reset annually with a new set screw to avoid having it come loose in the middle of a match (which happened twice). I also find the Matchdots easier to set and keep a zero. I liked the light weight of the Fastfires and when I had an issue with one of them, Burris stood behind it and actually replaced it. They are good sights, but I am going to stick with the Matchdots.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

ultradot vs fastfire Empty FF III

Post by David R 12/17/2018, 7:13 am

I have issues with the brightness of the  FF III dot.  Its too bright or dim.  

For slow fire indoors, I put it on really dim, the 4th setting, but have to turn it up for timed and rapid.   If the targets are lit well, I need it turned to medium all the time which is still too bright.

Outdoors,  dim the 4th setting, is too hard to see.  The next one up is bright enough it looks like a comma  (, instead of a dot.   My other dot sights I set so I can just see through the dot.  
Could be my eyes.  

Never lost a zero and I use EGW mount that screws a trapezoid mount in the sight slot, so no set screw.

I have 4, two with a 3 minute dot and two with an 8 minute dot for steel bowling pins.  

The 8 minute dot almost covers a 50 foot bull.
David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 12/17/2018, 10:03 am

When I started bullseye 3 years ago I purchased a couple FF3 as well as a couple UD MD 2s. Ultimately I have switched almost exclusively to FF3. I didn’t like the weight of the UD, nearly 3 times the FF3. My FF3s are all the 3moa dot. I sold the UDs.  I think it mostly personal preference.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout 12/18/2018, 7:27 am

For centerfire the FF3 will perform trouble-free much longer than the UD.  Just my opinion from experience and forum threads, but I am not a competitive shooter.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by 285wannab 12/18/2018, 8:36 am

I would want to use what Masters and High Masters use.  They have been there and done that.  That being said I had a Ultradot LT on a Pardini and liked it but I'm not a Master.

285wannab

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 12/18/2018, 9:28 am

I have a FF3 (3 MOA dot) on a S&W M52 using a "rear sight notch BME mount" and it works well for winter indoor matches.  I also have one co-mounted with a 45 degree offset on both of my 3 gun AR(s) .

Personally I find tube style optics just easier to shoot. 
1) You naturally try to keep the dot in the center of the tube which also means your wrist and head position stay aligned. I even use the rubber band trick to accentuate this.
2) Weather is an issue for reflex sights like the FF3, besides Perry and Canton I shoot a couple of other ranges with no cover. A FF3 wouldn't cut it in the rain even with the weather proof "roof" which you would have to take off to adjust windage and elevation.
3) You can put extensions and filters on a tube
4) Dot brightness setting is more refined on the tube
5) Elevation and windage adjustments are usually better on a tube sight.

You really don't see very many reflex sights at bullseye matches for several reasons.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by bernacp 12/18/2018, 12:06 pm

Doug Tiedt wrote:Bernie,

If you have tried both and are having positive results with the 2nd option, then what do you care what the forum thinks?  You have to find what works for you!

Or perhaps you need to state your question more precisely?

Doug
well is not so simple, precision shooting is not an exact science where not always consistency prevail and sharing experiences is beneficial.
bernacp
bernacp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down