Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matchguns Function; MG2, MG4-Legacy & EVO

+8
toddcfii
TonyH
slavka001
gregbenner
SteveT
james r chapman
Sc0
Jon Eulette
12 posters

Go down

Matchguns Function; MG2, MG4-Legacy & EVO Empty Matchguns Function; MG2, MG4-Legacy & EVO

Post by Jon Eulette 12/15/2018, 8:33 pm

The MG pistols are not like any pistols most have shot. It is similar to a tube fed.22 rifle.
When the bolt is forward the ‘elevator’ is down and when a loaded magazine is inserted it will accept the first round from the magazine. When the bolt/slide is pulled to the rear the elevator rotated up aligning the cartridge with the chamber. A lever drops down from the top keeping the cartridge from flipping up. Also the ejector rest over the rim of the cartridge preventing rear of cartridge from flipping up. When the bolt goes forward it feeds the cartridge into the chamber and also pushes the elevator down. The next cartridge will feed into the elevator. 
The slide does not lock back on the last cartridge fired. If the bolt it locked to the rear and a magazine is inserted, you will have to cycle the slide twice to chamber the first cartridge. The pistol has a dry fire (safety) cross bolt which limits hammer drop. If you forget and leave it on dry fire/safe you will have to cycle the slide to cocked the hammer. It will also eject the first cartridge. So you will have to reload the magazine tube. Also when you take a loaded magazine out of the pistol a cartridge will be sitting on the elevator. That cartridge will fall out of the pistols magazine well (tube). 
If you forget and leave in dry mode, a loaded cartridge will not fire and the hammer will stay down. You have to remove magazine and the loose cartridge lying on the elevator. Then slowly pull slide to rear, the elevator will start to come up ( you only want it to come about half way up. All the way and you cannot eject loaded cartridge). Rotate pistol to the right and muzzle slightly up. The rear of the cartridge comes out first after pulling extractor loose.
Here’s a link to Slava’s video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgK72uW0y7g
So you can see it takes some getting used to. Easy for some people and harder for others. If you have a malfunction; feeding or extraction, you sometimes have to pull the extractor lever to the rear to release the extractor from the rim to clear the malfunction.
I thought I would share the basics of the pistol. If you see someone on the firing line with one go check it out.Matchguns Function; MG2, MG4-Legacy & EVO 15a86a10
Matchguns Function; MG2, MG4-Legacy & EVO 2ef91910
Matchguns Function; MG2, MG4-Legacy & EVO Bfa7ab10

Last edited by Jon Eulette on 1/28/2023, 10:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Matchguns Function; MG2, MG4-Legacy & EVO Empty Re: Matchguns Function; MG2, MG4-Legacy & EVO

Post by Sc0 12/15/2018, 9:41 pm

Any opinions between this and the Pardini?  Anything that could be considered a flaw in the design at a later date?

Pistol definitely looks interesting.

Sc0

Back to top Go down

Matchguns Function; MG2, MG4-Legacy & EVO Empty Re: Matchguns Function; MG2, MG4-Legacy & EVO

Post by james r chapman 12/15/2018, 9:45 pm

Can I get it with a release trigger????

lol
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 12/15/2018, 10:12 pm

Sc0 wrote:Any opinions between this and the Pardini?  Anything that could be considered a flaw in the design at a later date?

I personally have not put enough miles on one to see any flaws in the design for longevity yet.

The selling point for me is the trigger. Absolutely one of the best ‘feeling’ triggers out there. I tried to fall in love with the Pardini but the trigger never made friends with me. I found the Pardini difficult to shoot 50 yds with. The MG2 is much easier for me to call my shots, know whether to abort or keep on squeezing because I can feel the trigger. The short line is a breeze because it snaps right back in the center. Very forgiving pistol to shoot.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 12/16/2018, 8:29 am

When they first came out several years ago a friend got one. I agree, the trigger is as good as any I've ever felt. 

He had lots of feeding problems with it. I wanted one, but with no local support it scared me away. IIRC he sent it back to Italy at least once, maybe twice.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 12/16/2018, 12:46 pm

Sc0 wrote:Any opinions between this and the Pardini?  Anything that could be considered a flaw in the design at a later date?

I have two Matchgun, an MG2 and MG4, also Pardini in 22/32L/32ACP.  I love both.

I fit into Jon's comments re: those who find getting used to the Matchguns frustrating.  Most likely due to age:shock:.  I've probably cursed more at the MG's than any other guns I own.  That said, I usually enjoy shooting the Matchguns more than the Pardini. They are my favorites. Trigger, and ergonomics (the Matchgun is more adjustable).

Its difficult for me to verbally describe the differences between the Pardini and the Matchgun, I'd suggest getting one of each Laughing.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by slavka001 12/20/2018, 10:07 am

I love the MG2. I purchased one at the beginning of the year and it is my favorite for bullseye competition. Due to its design, it is easily customizable. No issues with cycling. Went through 5000 rounds by now.
Attachments
Matchguns Function; MG2, MG4-Legacy & EVO Attachment
IMG_5144.JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(93 Kb) Downloaded 38 times
IMG_5162.JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(263 Kb) Downloaded 32 times

slavka001

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 12/20/2018, 2:40 pm

Slavka001, Is that a muzzle brake or simply a weight out front in the top photo? Decorative flash hider in the second?
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by slavka001 12/20/2018, 6:31 pm

It is ported muzzle brake or compensator. It has expension chamber and two top vented ports. Flash hinder is actually a pipe that goes inside the compensator. I was trying various designs and complete open ports worked better.

slavka001

Back to top Go down

Post by slavka001 12/21/2018, 8:26 am

Here is the frame from the video
Attachments
MG2.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(79 Kb) Downloaded 33 times
mg2_1.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(112 Kb) Downloaded 14 times

slavka001

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii 1/10/2019, 9:39 pm

Where can you buy a Match Gun and how much are they?
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 1/10/2019, 10:03 pm

PM sent
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by AC427 4/7/2019, 7:14 am

I had one for 13 years now and just got my new EVO model I can see a lot of updates that have been made to these pistols over the years.

AC427

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere 4/8/2019, 7:06 am

AC427 wrote:I had one for 13 years now and just got my new EVO model I can see a lot of updates that have been made to these pistols over the years.

Any issues getting parts or service?  

Thanks.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 4/8/2019, 10:25 am

Factory is really good about sending replacement parts. I'm the service center when its necessary, so service is great! LOL
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4/8/2019, 10:50 am

Jon,

I'm also interested in the Match Guns. I'm having problems with my older GSP's and am considering upgrading to Pardini's or something else.

Please PM info to me.

Thanks,

Back to top Go down

Post by AC427 4/8/2019, 7:43 pm

Replacement part issues!! The reason I bought my new gun is I could not get the replacement part I needed to repair my older gun. They no longer made the older style parts. I did have my part welded and got the gun working but the trigger now has a little click in it. Once I have finished my scope mount I my send my old one to John for him to look at.

AC427

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 4/8/2019, 11:14 pm

I tried the trigger on Greg's MG2, pretty much defined amazing.
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by MGUSA 4/9/2019, 12:44 am

AC427 wrote:Replacement part issues!! The reason I bought my new gun is I could not get the replacement part I needed to repair my older gun. They no longer made the older style parts. I did have my part welded and got the gun working but the trigger now has a little click in it. Once I have finished my scope mount I my send my old one to John for him to look at.

The factory still supports the last version of the legacy MG2 (the version prior to the EVO verson). These are the MG2 made in 2018. Some times the stamped "year" on the frame does not reflect the actual production year. For example, an MG2 frame stamped with 2017 may actually be assembled and shipped out of the factory in mid 2018 so it will have the latest parts as of mid 2018. This happened to our order last year. 

The factory has gone through many iterations of changes and improvements over the years. So it may be difficult to track all these changes especially if configuration management is not adopted.

MGUSA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down