Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Red dot without any optical distortion?

5 posters

Go down

Red dot without any optical distortion? Empty Red dot without any optical distortion?

Post by kayakingsteve Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:50 pm

Anyone used a red dot that doesn't give them any distortion?

I know it's not the recommended way to shoot, but I like keeping both eyes open with an optic. I've tried a cheap one that doesn't distort so works great with both eyes open. Bought a Vortex Crossfire and it has some distortion so with both eyes open I see a double image using it...

Am I nuts or has anyone else noticed this with some optics? Any recommendations for distortion free?

kayakingsteve

Back to top Go down

Red dot without any optical distortion? Empty Re: Red dot without any optical distortion?

Post by 285wannab Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:16 pm

You might want to try a small piece of Scotch tape on one side of your shooting glasses.  Probable won't take long to get used to it.  And it would help with the double vision.

285wannab

Back to top Go down

Red dot without any optical distortion? Empty Re: Red dot without any optical distortion?

Post by kayakingsteve Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:23 pm

285: I have a set of glasses with a blacked out lens, I just honestly prefer shooting with both eyes open. Doesn't impact my scores any when I test it...

Can't do it with distortion though in the optic.

kayakingsteve

Back to top Go down

Post by r.tornello Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:24 pm

DOCTER RED DOT and Champion Shooting glasses.

Or I practice both eye shooting for the just in case of it. But for competition look on Champions Choice for different products.
r.tornello
r.tornello

Back to top Go down

Post by Slodad Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:41 pm

Do you shoot with corrective lenses in your glasses, or wear contacts? I noticed that when using a red dot sight with my monovison (left lens distance, right lens closer) contacts, I perceive significant flair with my right (dominant) eye, but a nice crisp dot with the left.  When I wear bifocal glasses, the dot is crisp with both eyes. So, the problem, for me at least, is with my vision correction, not the sight.

Slodad

Back to top Go down

Post by r.tornello Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:48 pm

I am nearly bind w/o glasses. And sometimes I get a bit of a flare. I practice w/the flare and sometimes I play with head position. I'm old too so Iron even with plus or minus really doesn't make it.

I work it out and can figure out the real center. I'm not in the olympics so I deal with it. It's not the answer you might be looking for but....

RT
r.tornello
r.tornello

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:37 pm

I use a product called Eye Pal. They are basically black stick on vinyl discs about the size of a dime with about a 3/32" hole in the center. They are reusable. I have them positioned on my glasses so that with both eyes open it appears I am looking out one hole. Because of my astigmatism red dots look like a comet. With the Eye Pal the dot is perfectly round. They are also great for open sights. They cost about $25. I never leave home without them.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by 285wannab Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:54 pm

kayakingsteve wrote:285: I have a set of glasses with a blacked out lens, I just honestly prefer shooting with both eyes open. Doesn't impact my scores any when I test it...

Can't do it with distortion though in the optic.
I would not like having a whole side blackened out.  If you use a real small piece of tape just to block out your red dot it is just like shooting with both eyes open.  Try it and then decide.  I also use an Eyepal like Messenger mentioned.  It helps clear up the sight picture for me and a plus is my head is always in the same spot.

285wannab

Back to top Go down

Post by kayakingsteve Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:16 pm

Appreciate the advice.

The cheapy Tasco I have has no distortion and it's super relaxing to shoot with it with both eyes open. I'd like to find a nicer quality optic with no distortion.

I don't have a dominant eye in testing and am lucky enough to have good vision now, no glasses needed, so it's annoying having the distortion on the Vortex create a double image.

I do all my other shooting iron sight or otherwise with both eyes open so would like to do that with bullseye too. (although I will cover my left eye since I'm a righty when shooting iron sights with bullseye, but it doesn't seem to matter)

kayakingsteve

Back to top Go down

Post by 285wannab Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:23 am

kayakingsteve wrote:Appreciate the advice.

The cheapy Tasco I have has no distortion and it's super relaxing to shoot with it with both eyes open. I'd like to find a nicer quality optic with no distortion.

I don't have a dominant eye in testing and am lucky enough to have good vision now, no glasses needed, so it's annoying having the distortion on the Vortex create a double image.

I do all my other shooting iron sight or otherwise with both eyes open so would like to do that with bullseye too. (although I will cover my left eye since I'm a righty when shooting iron sights with bullseye, but it doesn't seem to matter)
I have an Aimpoint I am selling.  It is in the commercial section.  If you want pictures leave me your email in a pm.

285wannab

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down