Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ruger Mark IV 22/45 rear sight

4 posters

Go down

Ruger Mark IV 22/45 rear sight Empty Ruger Mark IV 22/45 rear sight

Post by TonyH 12/25/2018, 9:16 am

Picked up a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 over the Christmas sales as a backup/ loaner to new folks starting out.
Went to the range to zero it in and was having one heck of a time with a wandering zero. Looked at the rear sight and found that the entire hinged assembly was moving side to side within the base. Measured the longitudinal gap between the base housing and the elevation/windage assembly and can get a 0.013" feeler gauge in the gap (see photo attached).
Called Ruger Customer Service and the nice lady asked for the serial number and a detailed description of the rear sight. Said they had a "newer model" sight that she would mail out as a replacement, and btw, they would also send out a new front sight as a matched set to alleviate any elevation adjustment issues. All thumbs up this far!
A few days later, sight shows up in the mail. Looks exactly the same as the old rear sight. Has an extra white outline blade with it but no front sight as stated. The new sight has the same sloppy elevation/windage assembly as the old one, albeit I can only get a 0.010" gauge in the gap. Marginally better! Sad Wait...it gets better still!
On the new rear sight, the elevation adjustment screw is an allen head, but the windage screw is a slotted head...so now one needs two tools to make a sight adjustment!!!!Evil or Very Mad
Ruger Customer Service is now closed till after the holidays.....
Anyone else have this issue with Ruger Mark IV's?
Ruger Mark IV 22/45 rear sight Rugerr10

Ruger Mark IV 22/45 rear sight Rugerr11

Last edited by TonyH on 12/25/2018, 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Ruger Mark IV 22/45 rear sight Empty Re: Ruger Mark IV 22/45 rear sight

Post by Sc0 12/25/2018, 9:36 am

Haven't looked to compare the MKII to the MKIV, but the VQ sight could be your answer.

Sc0

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeB 12/25/2018, 11:23 am

I have the same one and yes they are cheep. Get the VQ replacement and as long as your are on there web site get the trigger kit to. The MKIV is a nice pistol once you replace the parts they cut corners on.

JoeB

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 12/25/2018, 11:30 am

The VQ sight is nice and a good friend loaned me one to try....
Another $200 between the VQ sight and trigger kit....2/3rd's the price of the pistol.
Is it too much to expect Ruger to actually deliver a product that at least lives up to some base expectations? Plus they replace crappy product with even more crappy product. Bah Humbug to Ruger!!!
Should have stuck with a S&W Victory Target with a TK trigger in it and called it a day.
Here's a pic of the VQ...tight tolerances and nice big adjustment screws.
Ruger Mark IV 22/45 rear sight Img_0610

Last edited by TonyH on 12/25/2018, 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added Volquartsen sight pic.)
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 12/25/2018, 12:17 pm

Merry Christmas Tony!
I’ll look around, might have a 10 yr old original sight in my dungeon for you.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 12/25/2018, 12:22 pm

I’ll look around, might have a 10 yr old original sight in my dungeon for you.
Like I said above, you are a good friend! Thank you.
I will get a hold of Ruger once they reopen, to see if they have an appetite to rectify the issue as well.
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down