Pardini Gt-45 on Gunbroker Ends January 10

Go down

Pardini Gt-45 on Gunbroker Ends January 10

Post by CraigB5940 on 1/9/2019, 9:57 am

I was tempted to try a low bid on this, it's been up all week, no bids the starting price is $1,895, no reserve.  It's a circa 2004 gun, has a frame optics mount and 5 mags.
I had to put cotton in my ears today to drown out the siren's song of "please bid on me!"

I love my Pardini SP 22 with 32 ACP but I think I need to follow conventional wisdom and master the 1911 for Bullseye, but this sure is tempting to try out!
I'm already invested I my 1911 and a Marvel Unit 1 steel lockback for practicing on the same lower I use for the 45 matches.

Any thoughts? If I had handled and shot one before I may have sprung on this one.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/795193906

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Re: Pardini Gt-45 on Gunbroker Ends January 10

Post by joy2shoot on 1/9/2019, 10:22 am

CraigB5940 wrote:Any thoughts?
I used to own one.  It uses a double stack magazine.  So if you have small to medium hands, it might be difficult to get a proper grip.  The grip angle is somewhere between the Pardini .22 SPBE and a 1911.  The trigger is adjustable (but not as adjustable as say the Hammerli 208s) and is two stage.  The front grip strap and back grip strap are flat as compared to being round on a 1911.  Takedown for cleaning is easy.  I personally did not shoot any better with it than my (custom built) 1911s.  The newer models have a scope rail that is attached via removing the rear and front sights, so no longer a need to drill and tap the frame.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton on 1/9/2019, 1:35 pm

joy2shoot wrote:I used to own one. 

I currently enjoy his old pistol and there is a lot to like about it if you have a larger hand. The 1911 grip is troublesome for me and I have tried every model of doublestack/2011 as well, but even those did not answer all my needs. The GT45 finally got the job done.

I have always wanted one and finally took the plunge and have no regrets. I would recommend you hold one or at least have some time with widebody grips to know what you are getting into. It is not going to be for everyone.

Yes, I still have 1911’s and shoot them and love them, but the Pardini is what shows up for matches since ever I purchased it.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Thanks Everyone

Post by CraigB5940 on 1/10/2019, 1:43 pm

I decided to hold one first before I take a leap of faith.  I saw only one on the firing line all of last summer and the owner had 3 or 4 alibis. I did not get a chance to ask the owner if I could dry fire it. I'll try to find one to dry file this summer. It sold for 2K, but new ones can be had for 2600 plus the scope mount and I'd probably get a new one to have the warranty service available since the only one I saw was not behaving well in the alibis department!

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Post by croesler on 1/12/2019, 11:12 am

Regarding the GT45, according to Vladimir at Pardini USA the newest models have a slightly redesigned chamber and ramp.  Pardini USA can modify older models and/or replace the barrel, although Vladimir suggested if the gun works 'as is' then the accuracy would not be noticeably improved in an experts hands.  I have a GT45 and never had a miss-fire or alibi. I've had the scope fall off, but no functioning problems.  In fact, my GT accommodates a broader range of random factory ammo than either of my 1911s.  The post above re alibis would make me suspect a spring issue with under-powered loads.  The grip IS very large, but there is a trigger option for shorter fingers. Also there is a 9mm and .40 cal conversion kit for the GT45, which gives some interesting cost-lowering practice options in 9mm.
croesler
croesler

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton on 1/12/2019, 2:20 pm

I did buy and install the short trigger after purchase. I like it quite a bit.  I have an XL palm, but not the long fingers.

I also had serious feed issues (don’t know if Thomas did, but he shot lead). The gun did not like my 185gr JHP for sure.  There could be recoil spring issues, as mentioned above, but I had the right spring for my loads. The reason (for my pistol anyway) is that the barrel sits too high off the feed ramp catching the blunt hollow edge JHP rounds on the edge of the barrel feed ramp. This diagnosis runs right along with the previous post about the fix from Pardini.

I have a laser welder, so added a filler pad to the top of the barrel hood that just rides against the slide and keeps the barrel down at the moment the bullet is stripped out of the mag.  I have never heard of anyone trying this modification.  It has to be done and shaped just the right way to have the timing right.  The pad does have a small amount clearance to allow the slide to pass, but not to drag the slide.

The GT45 is 100% reliable now.  You can call it the Slick Willie Ramp.  Laughing

In the pic, you can just see the back edge of the ramp on the rear of the barrel hood just under the slide.  I was given a high compliment when told it looks like it came from the factory that way.

willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot on 1/12/2019, 2:59 pm

willnewton wrote:I also had serious feed issues (don’t know if Thomas did, but he shot lead).
I did not have issues with feeding.  My biggest issue was I had Pardini USA install the scope mount sledge and over the course of the 2016 season it eventually came loose during the State Championship.  I reinstalled it using blue Loctite and the issue was resolved.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by carykiteboarder on 1/12/2019, 7:19 pm

I know of two GT45s for which the JHP feeding issue was totally resolved by making the OAL a couple hundredths longer.
carykiteboarder
carykiteboarder

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton on 1/12/2019, 8:46 pm

carykiteboarder wrote:I know of two GT45s for which the JHP feeding issue was totally resolved by making the OAL a couple hundredths longer.

LOL Glenn, were they yours? I know you, Thomas, and Willie all had them. It was trying Willie’s GT45 at one of his BE clinics that made me want one so bad.

I thought about changing geometry on my JHP, but figured it would be easier to fix the pistol to run anything I fed it. I certainly didn’t mean anything against Thomas’ sale. I understand pistols can take a little tweaking, especially when you are using handloads. Besides, I work on pistols, so was glad to have a chance to really dig into the Pardini and get to know it. No regrets here!
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by carykiteboarder on 1/13/2019, 8:50 am

willnewton,
I'm definitely not making a comment on any gun other than mine and my friend John's.  (I don't think you've met him.) Neither am I taking credit for the idea.

I had occasional feed issues when I was loading Zero 185gr JHP bullets to OAL of 1.200".   Per a suggestion from a forum member, I tried 1.210" and the problem disappeared.  A year or two later, my friend bought a new GT45 and I reload for him.  He had occasional issues with the OAL 1.210" ammo.  I changed OAL to 1.220" and his issues disappeared.  Both guns are happy with the longer OAL.

I offer this info because some of us don't play with laser welders.   lol!

Glen
carykiteboarder
carykiteboarder

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton on 1/13/2019, 9:29 am

Good to know those dimensions.

I load my JHP to 1.204-1.205ish, so may have been to the short end for the GT45.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum