good quality red dot sight

Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty good quality red dot sight

Post by robvasi on 1/9/2019, 2:38 pm

After reading the negative reviews on every red dot sight review, I wonder if there is red-dot sight that does not break.  of course there are also several five star reviews with every dot sight review.

Ruger mark IV.  I prefer to mount it without a rail.

What do you suggest for a red-dot?

robvasi

Posts : 43
Join date : 2018-12-29
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by spursnguns on 1/9/2019, 3:58 pm

Hello robvasi,

Volumes have been written on this subject, on this forum alone.  Nonetheless, I have spent my money on Aimpoints....both the Micro H-1 and the 9000SC.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Posts : 429
Join date : 2013-01-04
Age : 62
Location : Gilroy, California

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by robvasi on 1/9/2019, 4:11 pm

spursnguns wrote:Hello robvasi,

Volumes have been written on this subject, on this forum alone.  Nonetheless, I have spent my money on Aimpoints....both the Micro H-1 and the 9000SC.

Jim
When I typed "red-dot', and again when I typed "red dot" and again when I typed 'red dot sights' into the search window I expected a plethora of threads that had been started on this topic. Much to my surprise, each search attempt resulted in zero threads, I faced an empty page. 

Even so, I should not have posted this question.  I did so, because I want to buy one and I could not find one without several negative reviews. 

Thank you for your recommendation.

robvasi

Posts : 43
Join date : 2018-12-29
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by Aprilian on 1/9/2019, 4:21 pm

try my method
Aprilian
Aprilian

Posts : 861
Join date : 2016-05-13
Location : Minnesota

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by spursnguns on 1/9/2019, 4:21 pm

Hello robvasi,

You piqued my curiosity.  I just entered the same things and it came up empty handed.  Even just putting in "dot"....zilch.

"Even so, I should not have posted this question."  Nonsense; a very valid question.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Posts : 429
Join date : 2013-01-04
Age : 62
Location : Gilroy, California

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by robvasi on 1/9/2019, 4:28 pm

Aprilian wrote:try my method


I am impressed that you took the time to make a nice animated graphic to show me how to use Google.  I will keep that graphic for reference when I need to search for something.

I am sorry I annoyed you.  I made an effort to search this forum before posting.

robvasi

Posts : 43
Join date : 2018-12-29
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by Aprilian on 1/9/2019, 4:44 pm

Sorry, I have a very dry sense of humor, I was not annoyed.  

I was showing you that by googling with site: and quote marks, you can use a far more powerful search engine than this forum software includes.   Using quote marks stops you from getting all the searches which have other posts that use either the word red or the word dot.  also most forum software refuses to search on three letter words (for some reason).

We are a peacable race here.   Please stay and contribute.


Last edited by Aprilian on 1/9/2019, 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aprilian
Aprilian

Posts : 861
Join date : 2016-05-13
Location : Minnesota

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by robvasi on 1/9/2019, 4:48 pm

Aprilian wrote:Sorry, I have a very dry sense of humor, I was not annoyed.  

I was showing you that by googling with site: and quote marks, you can use a far more powerful search engine than this forum software includes.   Using quote marks stops you from getting all the searches which have other posts that use either the word red or the word dot.

We are a peacable race here.   Please stay and contribute.
I didn't use quote marks in my search query.

robvasi

Posts : 43
Join date : 2018-12-29
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by gregbenner on 1/9/2019, 6:53 pm

It would help f you gave some indication of price range. Prices tend to run from $50 or so to maybe $750 or so for the Aimpoint.  Also, reflex or tube type?

gregbenner

Posts : 728
Join date : 2016-10-29
Location : San Diego area

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by james r chapman on 1/9/2019, 7:17 pm

I suspect searching for 'scopes' gives a more complete result.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Posts : 3991
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 71
Location : HELL, Michigan

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by Jack H on 1/9/2019, 7:22 pm

robvasi wrote:After reading the negative reviews on every red dot sight review, I wonder if there is red-dot sight that does not break.  of course there are also several five star reviews with every dot sight review.

Ruger mark IV.  I prefer to mount it without a rail.

What do you suggest for a red-dot?

I am not sure what alternative there is "without a rail"

Here is a Mark II with an Ultradot that never has failed me.  Ever.  I recommend it a lot.
good quality red dot sight Ruger112
Jack H
Jack H

Posts : 1963
Join date : 2011-06-10
Location : Oregon

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by r.tornello on 1/18/2019, 12:49 pm

Got to DOCTER SIGHTS, in FL. The will harden a sight to allow application to the slide. I've have 3 of them, all over 10 years old. They work and work and work.
r.tornello
r.tornello

Posts : 187
Join date : 2018-01-29

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by Headtap on 1/20/2019, 1:59 am

I used the Ultradot until it failed on me on the firing line at Camp Perry. Had to send it in. Quick turn around and fixed, but lost faith. Bought Vortex Viper, Vortex Venom and Nikon holographic RDS. Vortex Venom on my 1911 with no problems so far. Ran over 1000 rounds 45 with no problems and keeps it's zero. Many on the line at Camp Perry in 2018 had Ultradots.
Headtap
Headtap

Posts : 12
Join date : 2018-05-27
Location : escapee from the Peoples Republik of Khalifonia

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Aimpoint

Post by robvasi on 1/20/2019, 2:30 am

My pistol started out as a Ruger Mark IV. Now it has a Volquartsen Trigger assembly and a Victory trigger. The result is a 2.5 pound trigger pull. I added a 6” fluted barrel and an Aimpoint red-dot sight. There was a noticeable difference in accuracy between the unmodified Mark IV and the modified gone. This observation is based on my recollection. I realize that without documentation this statement is conjecture.

I have been told that I wasted my money, and that I should not spend more than $200 on a red-dot sight.

good quality red dot sight 1ab34310

I know the ammunition displayed in the picture is 38 Special. I do not have enough 22LR.
I know the gun is more accurate than I am.
I also noticed that I am improving

robvasi

Posts : 43
Join date : 2018-12-29
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by willnewton on 1/20/2019, 6:42 am

robvasi wrote:I have been told that I wasted my money, and that I should not spend more than $200 on a red-dot sight.

Sounds like your buddy has a case of sour grapes.  Smile   I am trying to think of all the posts on this forum of complaints or regrets about Aimpoints and can’t think of a single one.  What you paid for is the piece of mind that your score will likely never be the fault of your dot and you will have it for life.  When you get a .45, this dot will be ready for it.  You will often see “Buy once, cry once.” posted on the forum and it is true.

Your pistol setup is going to take you a long way in this hobby.

robvasi wrote:I also noticed that I am improving

You keep hanging around here and that’s gonna happen.  Sorry for the search funkiness, our search engine leaves much to be desired at times, but adding “bullseyeforum” to your Google searches will pull many results from here.  Never fear to post any questions though, many great conversations happen because a new shooter causes an experienced one to see something in a different light.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Posts : 769
Join date : 2016-07-24
Location : NC

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by Headtap on 1/20/2019, 9:51 am

If I we're THAT concerned about money, I would not have become involved with Bullseye shooting. In just one year of being in this sport/hobby, I have gone from a Ruger Mk2 iron sights, then added a Volquartsen sear, then added an Ultradot to that, then bought a S&W 41, then bought a Clark Custom barrel, then put my Ultradot from my Ruger onto my S&W, then bought a Vortex RDS and now thinking I need a spare S&W 41' set up in case of malfunction on the line. Not to mention all the different brands of ammo to test how each reacts to and the cost of becoming a member of a range. Now add the cost of a shooters box, a spotting scope, all the accessories needed on the range, the prescription shooting glasses ('cause ya gotta look cool) and the added cost of all the practice then the cost of driving to the competition every month....... Yeah, a real cheap sport/hobby. Buy once, cry once makes so much sense.
Headtap
Headtap

Posts : 12
Join date : 2018-05-27
Location : escapee from the Peoples Republik of Khalifonia

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by robvasi on 1/20/2019, 10:26 am

willnewton wrote:
robvasi wrote:I have been told that I wasted my money, and that I should not spend more than $200 on a red-dot sight.

Sounds like your buddy has a case of sour grapes.  Smile   I am trying to think of all the posts on this forum of complaints or regrets about Aimpoints and can’t think of a single one.  What you paid for is the piece of mind that your score will likely never be the fault of your dot and you will have it for life.  When you get a .45, this dot will be ready for it.  You will often see “Buy once, cry once.” posted on the forum and it is true.

Your pistol setup is going to take you a long way in this hobby.

robvasi wrote:I also noticed that I am improving

You keep hanging around here and that’s gonna happen.  Sorry for the search funkiness, our search engine leaves much to be desired at times, but adding “bullseyeforum” to your Google searches will pull many results from here.  Never fear to post any questions though, many great conversations happen because a new shooter causes an experienced one to see something in a different light.
My friend is not a competition shooter. His guns are for self defense.  He tends to be practical when it comes to money.  I tend to be more extravagant.  He also has a family to take of.  Once I had the Aimpoint zeroed, it worked well.  I wish the viewport was a bit larger as it was difficult to acquire the target.  Later it was easier. 

A .45?  I don't see that caliber on my list.  I want to use a revolver in a competition so that might be my next gun. 

I don't know what to call this gun.  The only Ruger part is the lower frame and grips.  All the internal parts are either Volquartsen or Tandemcross. 

I didn't have a preconceived notion that it would discharge bullets in a tighter group or be more accurate.  By the time I picked it up, the range was closed so I drove to a parcel of BLM land in the desert, where others go to shoot, and set up some targets.  I was surprised when squeezed the trigger and saw holes in the paper plate target.  I then blasted cans, plastic bottles, and other left-overs from former targets.  I could hit the thing I aimed at!  [not every time, but more often than before the modifications]

robvasi

Posts : 43
Join date : 2018-12-29
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by robvasi on 1/20/2019, 10:30 am

Headtap wrote:If I we're THAT concerned about money, I would not have become involved with Bullseye shooting. In just one year of being in this sport/hobby, I have gone from a Ruger Mk2 iron sights, then added a Volquartsen sear, then added an Ultradot to that, then bought a S&W 41, then bought a Clark Custom barrel, then put my Ultradot from my Ruger onto my S&W, then bought a Vortex RDS and now thinking I need a spare S&W 41' set up in case of malfunction on the line. Not to mention all the different brands of ammo to test how each reacts to and the cost of becoming a member of a range. Now add the cost of a shooters box, a spotting scope, all the accessories needed on the range, the prescription shooting glasses ('cause ya gotta look cool) and the added cost of all the practice then the cost of driving to the competition every month....... Yeah, a real cheap sport/hobby. Buy once, cry once makes so much sense.
My friend is not a Bullseye shooter.  His concern is justified, I need to be careful in the expenditure of money.  That is why I buy the best I can afford.  The best gives the best service and retains its value.

Where did you get your prescription shooting glasses?  I need a pair of glasses.

robvasi

Posts : 43
Join date : 2018-12-29
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by Headtap on 1/20/2019, 1:35 pm

Ask around for a gun friendly eye doctor and talk to him/her first. Mine had me hold a pencil at arms length and tested my eyes at that distance, then I had them tinted yellow. And money is now more limited than before so yes, I understand. My credit card finally screamed ‘uncle’.lol!


Last edited by Headtap on 1/20/2019, 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add comment)
Headtap
Headtap

Posts : 12
Join date : 2018-05-27
Location : escapee from the Peoples Republik of Khalifonia

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by LenV on 1/20/2019, 3:41 pm

Buy once cry once? What is the fun in that? I say buy a bunch try a bunch then sell a bunch and buy some more. It might be time to sell a bunch again. Laughing I can't resist a good deal on Ebay.

good quality red dot sight 20190113
LenV
LenV

Posts : 4001
Join date : 2014-01-24
Age : 70
Location : Oregon

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by robvasi on 1/20/2019, 4:33 pm

Headtap wrote:Ask around for a gun friendly eye doctor and talk to him/her first. Mine had me hold a pencil at arms length and tested my eyes at that distance, then I had them tinted yellow. And money is now more limited than before so yes, I understand. My credit card finally screamed ‘uncle’.lol!

I had a eye exam and told him what I was doing.   he wrote a prescription for single vision glasses focused a the front sights. the problem  am having is finding shooting glasses that can accommodate a prescription

robvasi

Posts : 43
Join date : 2018-12-29
Age : 68

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by zanemoseley on 1/20/2019, 5:45 pm

I really like my Aimpoint 9000SC's. They are on all my 1911 45's and 1911 22 conversion.

I was worried I wouldn't like the micro sized dots but I bought some of the Primary Arms MD-ADS which are Aimpoint Micro clones, one is currently on my Steyr Evo 10 and I've been shooting good scores. I also have 2 more that I will put on a 22 & 32 GSP upper. The dot is very clear and has good adjustments. I'm not sure how it would last on a slide mount 45, they last on AR's well but that's more of a sharp recoil where a slide mount has a lot of energy but is more jarring than sharp.

I also like the Sightron S-30. I recommended one for a buddy's 45 and seems to work well. I'll probably be putting one onto my 1911/38 this Spring.

zanemoseley

Posts : 1754
Join date : 2015-07-11

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by james r chapman on 1/20/2019, 6:06 pm

robvasi wrote:
Headtap wrote:Ask around for a gun friendly eye doctor and talk to him/her first. Mine had me hold a pencil at arms length and tested my eyes at that distance, then I had them tinted yellow. And money is now more limited than before so yes, I understand. My credit card finally screamed ‘uncle’.lol!

I had a eye exam and told him what I was doing.   he wrote a prescription for single vision glasses focused a the front sights. the problem  am having is finding shooting glasses that can accommodate a prescription
DECOT
RANDOLPH
RUDY PROJECT
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Posts : 3991
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 71
Location : HELL, Michigan

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by r.tornello on 1/20/2019, 6:31 pm

Champions Choice sells shooting glasses, "Olympic Champion Shooting Frames" . Others may have them for sale too.

I've had mine with a diopter kit for iron sights for years.

RT
r.tornello
r.tornello

Posts : 187
Join date : 2018-01-29

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by Jon Eulette on 1/20/2019, 8:23 pm

LenV wrote:Buy once cry once? What is the fun in that? I say buy a bunch try a bunch then sell a bunch and buy some more. It might be time to sell a bunch again. Laughing I can't resist a good deal on Ebay.

good quality red dot sight 20190113

Len,
 I think you need to buy more guns so those scopes all have a gun to be on. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Posts : 2785
Join date : 2013-04-15
Location : Southern Kalifornia

Back to top Go down

good quality red dot sight Empty Re: good quality red dot sight

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum