Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with .45?

+3
dronning
TomH_pa
Aprilian
7 posters

Go down

Help with .45? Empty Help with .45?

Post by Aprilian Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:14 pm

I have been struggling with my wadgun and I know it is me. The gun was rebarreled by John Eulette.   My model 41 25 yard slow fire scores are 80-90 and many of my CF shots are off the scoring rings.  Dry firing my CF is good, but when I fire live rounds it goes poorly.  Many shots I can actually call as bad. 
The grips are almost identical, the distance to the trigger is almost identical.  Both have UD MD II sights - frame mounted.  I abort the shot when I feel I have stopped the trigger. M41 is short roll and I think the CF is a medium to long roll.  

I am very pleased with the consistency with the .22 and last week in league, I shot a 27 CF
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Help with .45? Empty Re: Help with .45?

Post by TomH_pa Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:33 pm

My experience has been when learning the .45 (and I still am) a long roll is not your friend I have two sets of sear & springs and keep "leap frogging " them in the shorter roll direction. That way if I go too far I have a return point 
I think the long roll gives you too much time to think about that really big noise that's about to happen.

Last edited by TomH_pa on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total

TomH_pa

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:46 pm

Aprilian wrote:I abort the shot when I feel I have stopped the trigger. M41 is short roll and I think the CF is a medium to long roll.  

I am very pleased with the consistency with the .22 and last week in league, I shot a 27 CF
This sounds like it could be anticipation.  Plus if you are at all hesitant on the trigger the long roll and additional weight will hurt you especially if you are trying to dress up the shot.  How are your timed and rapid scores in CF?  Next time you practice try and shoot the slow fire target in a rapid pace and see if your scores improve.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:04 pm

I would recommend ball-and-dummy drills before anything else. Get a buddy to stand there with you and load the gun for you, one shot at a time.

You'll see a lot.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:25 am

What John said.

Plus, are you wearing plugs AND muffs? If not, try it.

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by thessler Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:46 am

Hi
I'm not giving advice because I no nothing. But I did have the exact same experience.  I had a hard time keeping the 45 on the paper and did pretty decent with the 41. I bought a real cheap conversion kit for the forty five and just continued to practice with the kit on. Now I shoot the 45 better than the 41. Just my experience. 
Tom

thessler

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:36 am

Another new guy here that shouldn't be giving advise...

I suddenly developed a flynch a couple of years ago and used my hillbilly logic to cure it by going bigger. I borrowed a friends .44 Magnum revolver and dug out my 12 ga and a bunch of slugs and spent a day at the range with them. Going back to "normal" calibers seemed like a non event after that.

It worked for me!

Using foam plugs and good muffs made a big difference as well, especially when someone is shooting next to me.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:00 am

Thanks everyone.

I am wearing plugs and good muffs.

I am making progress on my flinch - I know when I do that but for the shots which feel perfect they are sometimes still outside the black.

I thought about this more last night and there are a few additional observation that I identified.
1) the 41 is heavier than my 1911
2) the 41 has a slight muzzle weight bias and the 1911 does not - frame mount prevents the scope being moved further forward
3) the dot on the 1911 dances a lot more than the 41 - the match dot and frame mount are not loose

I threw some wheel weights on the top front of the matchdot to see if that gave a slight muzzle weight bias which will calm the dot.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum