Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Configuring the CMM brass catcher so it works

+4
chopper
rreid
zanemoseley
Wobbley
8 posters

Go down

Configuring the CMM brass catcher so it works Empty Configuring the CMM brass catcher so it works

Post by Wobbley 1/23/2019, 7:03 pm

I have a CMM brass catcher to at least try to recover my brass.  (The indoor range I frequent doesn’t like people reaching forward even with sweepers to retrieve their brass.). 

I set it up wit the net lower edge even with the ejector port, and the top edge 2 inches from the gun above it. Most of the brass ejected bounced off the net and went forward of the line.  I caught 1 out of 4.  The gun was my 52.   

Most of the videos of brass catchers have placement of the opening all over the place.   Those who use this gizmo have any insights?
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Configuring the CMM brass catcher so it works Empty Re: Configuring the CMM brass catcher so it works

Post by zanemoseley 1/23/2019, 7:19 pm

Seems different pistols throw brass different directions and can depend on the load used. With a 1911/45 and target loads I can put the net pretty much directly next to the ejection port and catch almost everything. Perhaps someone with a 52 can provide some tips.

I have noticed when the net gets kind of full the weight of the brass makes the net more taunt so brass seems to bounce off easier. If it happens with an empty net I'm not sure.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Configuring the CMM brass catcher so it works Empty Re: Configuring the CMM brass catcher so it works

Post by rreid 1/23/2019, 7:21 pm

Configuring the CMM brass catcher so it works 20180510
Here's how the Iowa guys set them up
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 1/23/2019, 7:24 pm

I guess it has to do with the direction your brass flies from the port, some eject high or low, back at you, or straight to the side. I had to put in a new ejector (extended) and have mine adjusted to go to the side and a little low. My net is set so ejection port is about middle of net height and and mostly back of pistol. It retrieves about 95+% of brass.
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld 1/23/2019, 7:36 pm

Maybe you could have a friend watch your brass eject to help find the optimum brass catcher placement for your gun?

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 1/23/2019, 7:42 pm

I was shooting alone today, but that is a plan...
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TAB 1/23/2019, 11:56 pm

Rotate the catcher a bit so the brass is headed down its throat. Most of my misses come from the brass hitting the sidewall net and bouncing out. My .22 flings brass forward of 3:00 so I move the catcher a bit forward and rotate it a bit counterclockwise. The .45 sends it back of 3:00 so slide the catcher a bit to the rear and rotate it clockwise.

I'd use Iowa's placement for 3:00 ejection.

TAB

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 1/24/2019, 6:07 am

rreid wrote:Configuring the CMM brass catcher so it works 20180510
Here's how the Iowa guys set them up

I used to have the same problem of brass bouncing out. In the picture you will see the net doesn't go back as far as it can. The wire that folds out to open the net can be bent a little to make the net about 50% deeper. That has cured the problem for me.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry2520 1/25/2019, 5:53 pm

Get something like a tall butter tub that comes up to the net and open the end so the brass falls into the tub. Takes the tautness off the net.

Larry2520

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down