Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Approaching the target

+3
Ed Hall
mikemyers
thessler
7 posters

Go down

Approaching the target Empty Approaching the target

Post by thessler Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:07 pm

Hi
Due to the advice I have read about on the previous thread,  I have been doing a ton of dry fireing.  I am finally starting to understand its benefits.  It was recommended lower your gun into the black while moving the trigger. When I lower my gun my arm is very jumpy not smooth,  maybe I just need more practice at that skill.
I have found that raising the gun into the black my arm is much smoother . So does it make a difference wich way I approach or is lowering just better for some reason? 
Thanks for any advice,  Tom

thessler

Back to top Go down

Approaching the target Empty Re: Approaching the target

Post by mikemyers Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:46 pm

I remember having the opposite problem - lowering my arm smoothly was easy, I just relaxed the muscles a little and gravity did its thing.  Raising the gun was a different story - needed my muscles to lift the gun.  For whatever it's worth, after enough dry fire, that ceases to be an issue, or even a thought for me.  Trying to emulate Brian Zins, where pressure is already building on the trigger as the sights are aligned and held that way, "lowering" is easier than "raising".....     but I'm only in the third grade, if that.  Others here will give you much better advice I'm sure.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:35 am

It is basically felt that lowering the gun is a more relaxed method than raising the gun.  The choppiness might be being caused by trying to lower in a specific and possibly slow manner.  The lowering should be a natural effort, not strained by trying to make it deliberately in tune with the trigger operation.  Find your normal raise and lower and then learn to work the trigger within that motion.  My raise is accompanied by an inhale and my lowering is in tune with an exhale.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by sharkdoctor Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:54 am

Uniformity in technique is an important criterion.  However, I just want to mention that there may be times when one can't raise the gun past certain limits (e.g. "over the berm").  I have been to matches where some have been cautioned, so be aware.

sharkdoctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:02 am

I get very nervous when I see my group or even individual holes below the 3 and 9 o’clock level of the bulls eye—even if they are tens.  It’s an indication to me that something is changing or has changed and I need to get on it or I’ll be missing low before I know it.
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:58 am

Jon Math wrote:I get very nervous when I see my group or even individual holes below the 3 and 9 o’clock level of the bulls eye—even if they are tens. 
I like it when 50% are above and 50% are below at about the same distance and even better when 50% are right and 50% are left of the 6 & 12 o'clock line, again about the same distance.  To me that's an indication that everything is working.  Just need to tighten the group to the X-ring. Smile
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:21 am

I like them round and centered in the ten ring.  However if they’re all in the 8 ring or better I’m ok with that too!
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down