Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S&W model 52 wear parts

+2
LenV
djw1cav
6 posters

Go down

S&W model 52 wear parts Empty S&W model 52 wear parts

Post by djw1cav 2/16/2019, 9:46 am

I have been putting a lot of rounds through my S&W model 52-2 lately.  In the last couple of weeks I have had a number of failure to feed problems.  I noticed two of my three magazine springs seem to be weak and I will be ordering new ones from Numrich soon.  This got me to thinking (always dangerous for me), what are the other parts that wear on this pistol?  Should I buy them now before they go away?  Are there any of you model 52 users that have parts fail due to routine wear?
DJW1CAV

djw1cav

Back to top Go down

S&W model 52 wear parts Empty Re: S&W model 52 wear parts

Post by LenV 2/16/2019, 10:24 am

Warning Will Rogers Danger Danger. Ok, maybe a little dramatic but the springs Numrich sells as 52 springs are not all 52 springs. They sent me some (rusty) that had 2 extra coils and twice the tension. You could not get 5 rounds in the magazine. The funny thing was that they looked like they should work but didn't. I posted picture on here 3-4 years ago about them.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV 2/16/2019, 11:01 am

WORN OUT RECOIL SPRINGS OR FIRING PIN SPRING WILL CAUSE A FAILURE TO FEED. WOLFF HAVE A GREAT RECOIL CALIBRATION KIT FOR THE 52.

PEOPLE ALWAYS SEEM TO REPLACE THE RECOIL SPRING. BUT NEVER CONSIDER THE FIRING PIN SPRING. WHEN THE FIRING PIN SPRING IS WORN OUT IT DOESN'T RETRACT THE FIRING PIN COMPLETELY OR QUICK ENOUGH. SO AS THE NEW CARTRIDGE SLIDE UP THE BREACH FACE UNDER THE EXTRACTOR IT GETS STOPPED BY THE FIRING PIN PROTRUDING THRU THE BREACH FACE . IT CAUSES A FAILURE TO FEED. BUT THE FIRING PIN SPRING THAN PULLS THE FIRING PIN BACK BEHIND THE BREACH FACE. SO WHEN YOU LOOK YOU NEVER SEE THE FIRING PIN PROTRUDING. THERE IS A GOOD REASON WHY WOLFF SENDS EACH NEW RECOIL SPRING WITH A NEW FIRING PIN SPRING.

I ALWAYS BOUGHT MINE FROM WOLFF LISTED BELOW.

https://www.gunsprings.com/

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgil Kane 2/16/2019, 11:02 am

Order your springs from Wolff, they have the proper springs.  I too had tried Numrich magazine springs and I had alibi's every shot,. Like Len V says, they are way to strong and will push the next round in the magazine into the bottom of the slide slowing it down and causing alibi's.  I switched to Wolff mag springs and have never had a problem.

Virgil

Virgil Kane

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces 2/16/2019, 1:14 pm

Over time the extractor hook can show wear. If you run across a new extractor, buy it and the extractor spring also. A gunsmith might be able to reshape an old extractor, so hang onto that also.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

S&W model 52 wear parts Empty S&W model 41 magazine problem

Post by djw1cav 2/16/2019, 7:45 pm

Thanks for all of your answers.  I will definitely order my springs from Wolf.  
DJW1CAV

djw1cav

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet 2/17/2019, 2:38 am

I lucked into an early 70's 52-2 in "unfired" condition. I replaced all the springs including magazine with ones from Woolf and have had no issues.
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down