Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camp Perry Questions

4 posters

Go down

Camp Perry Questions Empty Camp Perry Questions

Post by Dcforman Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:52 pm

Hey Guys!

I'm definitely headed to Camp Perry this year (bringing the family with me, which makes it easier!). It's kinda tough to find info, so I'm hoping you can answer some questions...

1. What time does DR start on day 1 generally? Would it be a good idea to try and arrive Sunday?

2. What exactly is the Preliminary Championship? It sort of seems like its a 900 aggregate, shooting a NMC of 22, CF, and 45. Yes?

Actually, I think that's it.

Thanks!

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Camp Perry Questions Empty Re: Camp Perry Questions

Post by SteveT Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:11 pm

Arriving Sunday is a good idea, if only to find your way around before the craziness starts, but you can't get your NRA packet until Monday morning, so it isn't critical.

I can't find a schedule for this year, but if it's like last year Harry Reeves Match will start at 1:00, they will run 2 or 3 relays and then Distinguished Revolver will follow. The schedule says 2:30, but it's an estimate depending on how smoothly the HR match goes. BTW you can shoot Harry Reeves as practice and "sighting in" before the DR match.

The Preliminary Championship is 3 NMC's one for 22, one for CF and one for 45. You will fire on the same firing point and with the same group you will shoot the rest of the weeks. Note that at Camp Perry the targets don't move, the shooting line moves, so you shoot SF at 50 yards, then the whole line moves up to the 25yd line, shoot TF and RF, then the whole line moves back to 50yds for the next NMC. There is a lot of moving on Prelim day.

You will shoot with the same group each day, but the relay will change. Prelims and 22 are shot the same, then it will be different for CF and different again for 45. You don't list a classification. If you are not classified I am pretty sure you will shoot with Marksman, which will shoot on 2nd relay starting after 1st relay is done sometime between 9 and 10am.

I think the NRA does a very poor job of providing information about the National Matches. I strongly recommend getting a few experienced shooters to make sure you know where to go,  when to be there and what to bring. Also read as many of the "Camp Perry" posts here and online generally.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:40 pm

Thanks Steve. What are the restrictions on the Harry Reeves match? Just iron sights and any caliber? Or is there a minimum caliber? How is it different than DR?

Really appreciate the info.

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:28 pm

Harry Reeves match, any caliber, any sight, just as long as it has a cylinder.

Here's some info about Camp Perry 
http://www.njpistol.com/Camp_Perry_FAQ.asp
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:48 pm

Thanks Ralph. That's quite a read. Do a lot of people shoot 22's for the Harry Reeves Match? I may have to renew my efforts to find a Colt OMM in 22 to match my 38...

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:21 pm

I misstated that. Any centerfire caliber,  32 or higher.
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:32 am

And you can't get your NRA packet until you get your CMP / Perry check in wrist band.  So....

When you arrive, go to CMP registration first (if they are open); then Camp Perry Clubhouse for housing second if staying on base (or first if CMP is not open).  

Then NRA Monday for your NRA packet and have that CMP wrist band (or you will be walking back to get it).   Check your packet for score cards for each match and that little piece of paper at the bottom that is your squadding sheet.  It will tell you your firing position for each match.  If you are missing anything, then just line up at the window and they will take care of anything there. 

Put your CMP and NRA Competitor ID cards on your hat so you will not forget them (unless you forget your hat). 

Go to Vendor row and spend all your money first so you won't worry about it the rest of the week. 

Regret not going to Canton and put that on the list for next year.

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:59 am

So if I'm not shooting CMP matches (conflict over the weekend), I still need a CMP wrist band? And yes, I'm sure I'll regret missing Canton, but it's tough enough shooting Perry without pushing my luck. Maybe when the kids get a little older, one will pick up the sport and we'll be there together!

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:33 am

Dcforman wrote:So if I'm not shooting CMP matches (conflict over the weekend), I still need a CMP wrist band?
 Yes, CMP handles "In Processing" for the Ohio National Guard, It's basically the first registration all competitors need to do. If the NRA people are trained they will ask to see the wrist band before giving you your NRA packet.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:10 am

Thanks, guys!

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content