Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

inconsistant

4 posters

Go down

inconsistant Empty inconsistant

Post by robvasi 3/16/2019, 1:24 am

I have a target with three holes, made by the bullets shot from my gun with me shooting it, that are in the X circle, and one in the ten ring.

The next target the POIs are all over the grid.

What do I do to be consistent so I can discover the  areas that need adjustment?

robvasi

Back to top Go down

inconsistant Empty Re: inconsistant

Post by CR10X 3/16/2019, 5:52 am

No one can really answer that but you.  Only you can study your "good" shots to remember and recreate them. 

If you just shot 3 good shots without following a consistent process, then that's just luck.

If  you just shot 3 not so good shots without following your process, then that is expected. 

What did you write down in your journal when you reviewed and remembered each part of the X's and 10 when you shot them.  What did you see?  Did you follow your shot process?  Does the process work consistently? How was the trigger?  How did the grip feel? What did the wobble look like? Where did you call the shot?  Ammo, gun, range, conditions, mental outlook?

If you spend more range training time shooting than thinking and learning, then you might want to reassess your priority.  (Not to just shoot and hope to get better, but to follow your process and learn how to repeat each component consistently.  That means more thinking, remembering, writing and learning than shooting.  Saves you a lot on ammo cost too.)  Don't be in a hurry to shoot, take time to visualize, think, recreate and perform.  Then you will be able to answer your question. 

If you spend your time studying "not so good" shots to figure out "why", then you're studying the wrong "why".  Do not dwell or think about what was "wrong or incorrect".  Even if the shot was an 8, if you called it an 8 exactly there, then you have successful component to remember.  Do not focus your energy on what was "wrong or incorrect or detrimental".  You do not have enough time to figure out all the wrong ways to complete a shot. 

Start each shot with the mental picture and thought of "this is what I want to do, recreate, see and feel".  Do not ever say or think "don't do ____".  Study, remember, recreate and do the good ones!  

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax 3/16/2019, 7:40 am

Exactly! I went to a seminar put on by Jamie Lynn Gray, Gold Medal Rifle winner at the 2012 London Olympics. When I asked about how to eliminate "flyers" (random bad shots), she curtly replied, "Don't think about them, and I will not discuss them any further!" "Next question".
Get the point? Do not concentrate on how to do it wrong!
jwax
jwax

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 3/16/2019, 11:18 am

What is often overlooked is writing a training plan for yourself.   It can be done for dry firing or range.  So far, I have employed it mostly for range trips to make sure I test/confirm/burn into muscle memory whatever I have decided is going to cause my next breakthrough.

It can be as simple as "make sure trigger finger placement is consistent and that I am pulling straight to the rear".

I think a lot of people might get stuck on a plateau by trying to work on too many things at once. 

Ultimately, you have to learn to observe every aspect of your own shot process to know what YOU need at any given time, very very few can look at you and diagnose what will result in your next big breakthrough - particularly over the web.

That is why you will see so many times the responses "Dry fire" and "Write out your shoot process".  Those two lead to self awareness.

Best wishes,
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by robvasi 3/16/2019, 8:35 pm

CR:  I am working on a procedure that starts with a relaxed stance and ends with the shot and a return to the initial position.  Is this the process you had in mind?

I do not keep a journal.  I will start.

I shoot with a six shot revolver and I have live rounds in three chambers and and empty brass in the other three. I shoot slow and call the shots. 

I see your point. Focus on the process and do everything the same every time. Call the shos.  Then when I make a good hit, I will know what I did.

Thank you

robvasi

Back to top Go down

Post by robvasi 3/16/2019, 8:49 pm

Aprilian wrote:What is often overlooked is writing a training plan for yourself.   It can be done for dry firing or range.  So far, I have employed it mostly for range trips to make sure I test/confirm/burn into muscle memory whatever I have decided is going to cause my next breakthrough.

It can be as simple as "make sure trigger finger placement is consistent and that I am pulling straight to the rear".

I think a lot of people might get stuck on a plateau by trying to work on too many things at once. 

Ultimately, you have to learn to observe every aspect of your own shot process to know what YOU need at any given time, very very few can look at you and diagnose what will result in your next big breakthrough - particularly over the web.

That is why you will see so many times the responses "Dry fire" and "Write out your shoot process".  Those two lead to self awareness.

Best wishes,

Thank you.  I will write a detailed procedure.  Practice at home. at the range perform the procedure and analyze the good shots.

robvasi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum