Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Pistol Shooter's Treasury - 3rd Edition

+10
Ed Hall
Wobbley
valbern67
dieselguy624
DA/SA
Slartybartfast
CR10X
mikemyers
OldShooter
Oleg G
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The New Pistol Shooter's Treasury - 3rd Edition Empty The New Pistol Shooter's Treasury - 3rd Edition

Post by Oleg G 3/19/2019, 4:03 pm

Folks,

I recently bought a copy of the original "The Pistol Shooter's Treasury" and decided to scan it for my own use, so I can have the book readily available to me in a digital format.

As I was doing that, a new idea entered my mind: to try and collect articles from freely-available sources into a "New Pistol Shooter's Treasury."

For my own use, I collected the articles listed below into a single book and would like to offer them to our community as a single volume (free, of course).
Before I make this file available, I would like to get permissions from the authors to offer this in an e-book form (PDF) to the members of the forum.

Below is a short Preface I wrote for the book and the table of contents with the names of the authors.

Again - there is nothing new (yet), just various articles I collected from different sources:

PREFACE - by Oleg Grutman
PRECISION PISTOL FUNDAMENTALS - by Brian Zins
So You Wanna Shoot Bullseye? - by Cecil Rhodes
Goal Setting: Training for that Big Match - by Mario Lozoya (from www.bullseyepistol.com)
A Focus on the Fundamentals - by Ron Steinbrecher (from www.bullseyepistol.com)
Bullseye Pistol Basics - by Allen Fulford (from www.bullseyepistol.com)
Fundamentals of Pistol Marksmanship - by Bill Joyner (from www.bullseyepistol.com)
Pistol Shooting: The Art - by Ed Hall

PREFACE

The primary purpose of this book is to continue the work started by Gil Hebard in his original “The Pistol Shooter’s Treasury.” This new edition is intended to collect the wisdom of the current generation of masters in a single volume and make it a living document with a constant flow of updates and new ideas.
The aim of this project is to maintain it as a free resource for the Precision Pistol (Bullseye) community of shooters. The Bullseye-L forum is a phenomenal resource for the on-the-spot advice and exchange of ideas, yet it is not substitute for a book collecting viewpoints and thoughts of our best and most knowledgeable shooters.
This book is intended to provide information on the fundamentals, technique and mental aspects of our sports. The subjects of equipment and reloading receive plenty of attention in the Bullseye-L forum.
It is our intent to solicit new articles from the Bullseye community and continue enriching and expanding this book.

Last edited by Oleg G on 4/2/2019, 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

The New Pistol Shooter's Treasury - 3rd Edition Empty Re: The New Pistol Shooter's Treasury - 3rd Edition

Post by OldShooter 3/19/2019, 4:50 pm

Sounds like a good project.  One thing you might check into is the publish-on-demand option, where small and even single hard copies can be purchased fairly economically.

I wrote a sports car racing book that went out of print after 5 printings and the publisher suggested I look into this as an end-of-life option.  I ended up not doing it for several reasons but IIRC a 192 page 8 x 11 book with B&W guts and color covers was something like $7.

OldShooter

Back to top Go down

The New Pistol Shooter's Treasury - 3rd Edition Empty Re: The New Pistol Shooter's Treasury - 3rd Edition

Post by Oleg G 3/19/2019, 5:06 pm

Good advice, thanks, OldShooter. I would like to keep the project free. The book will be in PDF format, sized for a tablet screen. Those who want a hard copy can print it, and I can reformat another version for the letter-sized sheets for printing.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter 3/19/2019, 5:53 pm

I'm pretty sure that with some of these print houses you just give them the PDF and allow anyone to order copies.  For myself, I prefer a hard copy that I can sit in my recliner and read, so I would probably pay the ten bucks or whatever a single book might cost.

But no urgency to even investigate it.  You need the PDF first anyway.

OldShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 3/20/2019, 3:49 am

Goal Setting: Training for that Big Match - by Mario Lozoya (from www.bullseyepistol.com)
A Focus on the Fundamentals - by Ron Steinbrecher (from www.bullseyepistol.com)
Bullseye Pistol Basics - by Allen Fulford (from www.bullseyepistol.com)
Fundamentals of Pistol Marksmanship - by Bill Joyner (from www.bullseyepistol.com)

Will these articles be reprinted?

Last edited by mikemyers on 3/20/2019, 3:53 am; edited 2 times in total
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 3/20/2019, 3:50 am

Do you want us to suggest articles to include?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 3/20/2019, 6:57 am

Yes, I would like suggestions and contributions, but most of all, before I publish the file here on the forum, I would like to know that Cecil Rhodes, Brian Zins, Ron Steinbrecher and Ed Hall do not object to me doing it.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 3/20/2019, 9:19 am

First off, thank you very much for including me on the list of articles.  

Here is a slightly updated version and the other writings that were added over the years.  You can use as you like.  

Thanks again for reading and remember that sometimes I'm not too serious or even polite, but I am sometimes very opinionated and even then I could be wrong.   Laughing  

Read for pleasure, use what you can, ignore what you want, train and see what works for you.  Good shooting and hope to see all of you at a match (somewhere / sometime). 

I'll leave it up for a while.  

Deleted, found some typo's, probably not all.  re-posted below.  

Cecil

Last edited by CR10X on 3/20/2019, 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 3/20/2019, 9:37 am

Thanks for the updated version, Cecil!
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 3/20/2019, 10:14 am

Sounds like a good project. I lack the technical know how, but how about a CMS website with easy downloading of a local copy? Each article could easily have a PDF version available for hardcopy creation.

I've thought of a project which is in essence a re-purposing and republishing of articles. But at the same time aimed at current technology and helping build shooting sport communities.

Again, my limitation is the lack of technical knowledge. Host servers and maintain websites for ranges, clubs, and associations. 

Once you have the compendium website running, other websites could use it as a source of articles to feed their local club webpage and mailing list with fresh content.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 3/20/2019, 11:45 am

Here is the first "edition" of the book.

Removed

Last edited by Oleg G on 1/20/2021, 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 3/20/2019, 12:50 pm

Sorry, found some typos and editing was needed.  Been a while since I really reviewed this.

Thanks again.

Cecil

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 3/20/2019, 12:55 pm

Thanks, Cecil. In my version I already corrected a number of typos. I will compare your latest edits with my text and will issue a new version.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 3/20/2019, 12:57 pm

Thanks, some things were also deleted or clarified, so please start with the most recent version I just posted.  Again, sorry for the late update. 
CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 3/20/2019, 1:08 pm

THANK YOU to all involved in this!
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 3/20/2019, 3:55 pm

I updated the files with Cecil's latest edits. Enjoy!
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by dieselguy624 3/21/2019, 7:15 pm

This is awesome! Thanks Oleg.

Pat

dieselguy624

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 3/21/2019, 7:42 pm

Oleg, I can send you the "Word" document with the recent postings by Brian Zins.  It's posted here as well, but if you want the unformatted version, it would be easier to work with.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 3/21/2019, 8:47 pm

Thanks, Mike, please do. I am getting material for a second edition and this would help.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by valbern67 3/22/2019, 1:17 pm

Thanks so much, Oleg!

There are 2 files on the Google Drive - which is the latest version?

Val
valbern67
valbern67

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 3/22/2019, 3:59 pm

The files are the same. One is in Letter size for printing and the other is optimized to be read on a tablet.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 3/25/2019, 5:09 pm

Might want to include a treatise on match ammo selection.  Reloading info including recipes in common use.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 3/26/2019, 7:07 am

From the Preface of the book:
"This book is intended to provide information on the fundamentals, technique and mental aspects of our sports. The subjects of equipment and reloading receive plenty of attention in the Bullseye-L forum." Smile
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

The New Pistol Shooter's Treasury - 3rd Edition Empty SECOND EDITION: The New Pistol Shooter's Treasury

Post by Oleg G 3/26/2019, 7:11 am

Removed

Last edited by Oleg G on 1/20/2021, 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 4/2/2019, 12:50 pm

Removed

Last edited by Oleg G on 1/20/2021, 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next