Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal

Go down

Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal Empty Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal

Post by Mister Coffee on 3/31/2019, 12:26 pm

Hello, gentlemen. This is my first post. I am not a bullseye shooter, but I may be someday. For today, I am looking for recommendations for a gunsmith in the LA/SoCal area to work on a Browning Hi-Power. I'm particular and willing to pay for good work. Hope you can help. Thank you. MC

Mister Coffee

Posts : 8
Join date : 2019-03-31

Back to top Go down

Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal Empty Re: Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal

Post by oldsalt444 on 3/31/2019, 12:43 pm

Jon Eulette.  He posts frequently on this forum.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Posts : 173
Join date : 2011-10-26
Location : Commiefornia

Back to top Go down

Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal Empty Re: Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal

Post by Mister Coffee on 3/31/2019, 12:58 pm

PM sent.

Thank you.

Mister Coffee

Posts : 8
Join date : 2019-03-31

Back to top Go down

Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal Empty Re: Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal

Post by Jon Eulette on 3/31/2019, 1:11 pm

I don't have time to do HP work. The 1911's are piled high Smile
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Posts : 2537
Join date : 2013-04-15
Location : Southern Kalifornia

Back to top Go down

Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal Empty Re: Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal

Post by Wobbley on 3/31/2019, 1:14 pm

What’s needed on the hi-power?
Wobbley
Wobbley

Posts : 2137
Join date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal Empty Re: Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal

Post by Mister Coffee on 3/31/2019, 1:18 pm

Trigger axis pin is "walking" left to right. New gun. Less than 1k rounds.

Mister Coffee

Posts : 8
Join date : 2019-03-31

Back to top Go down

Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal Empty Re: Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal

Post by Wobbley on 3/31/2019, 1:49 pm

Bolsa Gunsmithing
7404 Bolsa Ave
Westminster  CA, 92683
714-894-9100
Fax:714-898-9164
Website
Email

https://www.browning.com/support/parts-service/authorized-service-center-listing.html
Wobbley
Wobbley

Posts : 2137
Join date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal Empty Re: Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal

Post by Mister Coffee on 3/31/2019, 2:38 pm

Wobbley wrote:Bolsa Gunsmithing
7404 Bolsa Ave
Westminster  CA, 92683
714-894-9100
Fax:714-898-9164


Already been. They wanted to sell me on the idea that the trigger axis pin is held in place by the trigger return spring. I respectfully disagreed.

Mister Coffee

Posts : 8
Join date : 2019-03-31

Back to top Go down

Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal Empty Re: Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal

Post by gregbenner on 3/31/2019, 2:40 pm

MC, on Monday evening, the store gunsmith at Ironsights Shooting Range. in Oceanside is available for walk-ins. He is very good with American guns, old school smith. Very reasonable, if parts not needed he will fix it there. His name is Ray. 

If that makes any sense, PM me, I’m there virtually every Monday, Ray is a friend.

gregbenner

Posts : 662
Join date : 2016-10-29
Location : San Diego area

Back to top Go down

Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal Empty Re: Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal

Post by TonyH on 3/31/2019, 3:17 pm

If it’s a new gun, why wouldn’t you send it back to Browning for warranty fix?


Last edited by TonyH on 3/31/2019, 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
TonyH
TonyH

Posts : 211
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : Just outside the gates of Hell, MI

Back to top Go down

Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal Empty Re: Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal

Post by WesG on 3/31/2019, 5:02 pm

Both my 70's vintage 9mm, and later 40 have a groove on the pin that the spring nests in. They also have a squared (no chamfer) end on the left of the pin that appears to be a press fit in the frame. The 40 has an dimple in the center where it's been upset to enlarge it a bit. The other end tapered for assy.

WesG

Posts : 60
Join date : 2018-09-21

Back to top Go down

Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal Empty Re: Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal

Post by Mister Coffee on 3/31/2019, 6:57 pm

gregbenner wrote:MC, on Monday evening, the store gunsmith at Ironsights Shooting Range. in Oceanside is available for walk-ins. He is very good with American guns, old school smith. Very reasonable, if parts not needed he will fix it there. His name is Ray. 

If that makes any sense, PM me, I’m there virtually every Monday, Ray is a friend.

Thank you, sir. I appreciate your thoughtfulness. Since Oceanside is a bit of a drive for me, let me think on it. (Also, I work on Monday evenings until June).

Mister Coffee

Posts : 8
Join date : 2019-03-31

Back to top Go down

Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal Empty Re: Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal

Post by Mister Coffee on 3/31/2019, 7:02 pm

TonyH wrote:If it’s a new gun, why wouldn’t you send it back to Browning for warranty fix?

I sent it to Browning. When it came back, I thought it was fixed. Then, I had some custom work done on it (by one of the three most reputable Hi-Power gunsmiths in the U.S.). After I had the chance to shoot it, the pin walked again. Under these circumstances, I did not think I could return it to Browning.

The gunsmith definitely removed the pin during his work. However, if he screwed this up, then there are no gunsmiths that can be trusted. In other words, I'm not blaming the gunsmith.

Mister Coffee

Posts : 8
Join date : 2019-03-31

Back to top Go down

Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal Empty Re: Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal

Post by Mister Coffee on 3/31/2019, 7:06 pm

WesG wrote:Both my 70's vintage 9mm, and later 40 have a groove on the pin that the spring nests in. They also have a squared (no chamfer) end on the left of the pin that appears to be a press fit in the frame. The 40 has an dimple in the center where it's been upset to enlarge it a bit. The other end tapered for assy.


The groove in the trigger axis pin is a lovely little addition to the lovely world of guns, but it does not hold the trigger axis pin in place. The pin is held in place because the hole in the right side of the frame is small enough to create a "press fit." (I'm not a gunsmith, so I might be wrong about the terminology.) I want an expert to tell me 1) I should get a bigger pin; 2) I should weld up the hole; or 3) something I haven't thought of because, as I say, I am not a gunsmith.

Mister Coffee

Posts : 8
Join date : 2019-03-31

Back to top Go down

Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal Empty Re: Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal

Post by james r chapman on 3/31/2019, 7:17 pm

Mister Coffee wrote:
WesG wrote:Both my 70's vintage 9mm, and later 40 have a groove on the pin that the spring nests in. They also have a squared (no chamfer) end on the left of the pin that appears to be a press fit in the frame. The 40 has an dimple in the center where it's been upset to enlarge it a bit. The other end tapered for assy.


The groove in the trigger axis pin is a lovely little addition to the lovely world of guns, but it does not hold the trigger axis pin in place. The pin is held in place because the hole in the right side of the frame is small enough to create a "press fit." (I'm not a gunsmith, so I might be wrong about the terminology.) I want an expert to tell me 1) I should get a bigger pin; 2) I should weld up the hole; or 3) something I haven't thought of because, as I say, I am not a gunsmith.
so what do you surmise the purpose of the groove on the pin is for?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Posts : 3487
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 70
Location : HELL, Michigan

Back to top Go down

Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal Empty Re: Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal

Post by Mister Coffee on 3/31/2019, 7:24 pm

james r chapman wrote:

so what do you surmise the purpose of the groove on the pin is for?

It is to position the "tail" of the trigger reset pin.


EDIT: If you have ever tired to remove the trigger axis pin from a new Hi-Power, you know that the pin is in there so tight that it sometimes requires a press (or a six pound sledge hammer) to move it at all.

Mister Coffee

Posts : 8
Join date : 2019-03-31

Back to top Go down

Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal Empty Re: Seeking Gunsmith in SoCal

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum