Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alternating Jacketed and Lead at Matches

+5
oldsalt444
dronning
243winxb
LenV
messenger
9 posters

Go down

Alternating Jacketed and Lead at Matches Empty Alternating Jacketed and Lead at Matches

Post by messenger Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:01 pm

I have heard shooters say they have specific guns for shooting jacketed and lead. Is there any harm done by shooting jacketed for slow fire, then cast for the short line in CF then using the same gun in 45, jacketed then cast again or should I just shoot one or the other all the way through?

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Alternating Jacketed and Lead at Matches Empty Re: Alternating Jacketed and Lead at Matches

Post by LenV Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:29 pm

I mix and match. I think it would only matter if you have a lead load that you know or suspect is leading your barrel. 

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Alternating Jacketed and Lead at Matches Empty Re: Alternating Jacketed and Lead at Matches

Post by 243winxb Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:10 pm

I would not interchange J & L. 
 The 50/50 cast bullet lube conditions the bore. Some lubes  will leave a lube star on tne muzzle.
I have to guess a jacketed bullet will remove or change the lube condition of the barrel. Have not tested it.

With 22 lr ammo, the bullets coatings  have a direct effect on accuracy when changing between brands. If the barrel is not cleaned between lots, if may take 10 fouling shots to return to normal bullet point of impact. 

Not only do the groups impact center move, the group size can go from 1/2"  to over 1" at 50 yards. This is not all ammo, just some. Testing done with target rifle with 12 power scope.

So this is why i would never switch between jacketed and cast lead in a match where every shot counts.

Hopefully someone with a machine rest has tested this in 45 acp?
243winxb
243winxb

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:21 pm

I see several High Masters using Jacketed on the 50 and lead on the 25, seems to work for them.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:36 pm

While 243winxb probably has a valid point, I think the practical reality of it is such a minor issue that it would be way overshadowed by one's own ability and skill level.  I wouldn't be concerned a bit about changing bullets.  I too have seen high masters use jacketed for the long line and lead for the short line, and they're much better than me.  This is probably a big issue for rifle shooting, but unless your arm is a ransom rest, then the difference would be indiscernible.  

Just my $0.02.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:17 pm

I think the fact we are shooting a 5" barrel and only 50yds also has something to do with it.  Plus we would be shooting jacketed first then lead.  Probably good idea to run a patch down the barrel before the 45 match if you are shooting the same gun for 45.

Agreed - on 22 rifle shooting one of the things I found interesting is if I went from brand A to brand X it might take 10 shots to have the group settle but going from X to A it might only take 5 shots.  The point of impact always moved too and with some ammo quite a bit.

I do think the fact that the bullet is in the barrel 3-4 times longer in a rifle might have a larger impact on it.  I may do some ransom rest work with my 22 pistols this summer to test just how much an ammo switch impacts a pistol POI.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:14 pm

I do shoot jacketed for 50 and sometimes lead at 25, but I clean the gun after the lead, before jacketed is used again.  I do not wish to possibly send jacketed over any lead that might be left in the barrel.  Even though lead is much softer than steel, I don't want to chance any "ironing" of the lead against the bore by all the forces of the jacketed bullet as it passes over it.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:55 pm

Any reason to consider leading by shooting the good jackets at 50, then shooting plated lead at 25?
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Willfish30 Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:32 am

A newbie question but if jacketed is good at 50 yds, why not just use it at 25 yds? What’s the reason for using two types of bullets?

Willfish30

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:50 am

Willfish30 wrote:A newbie question but if jacketed is good at 50 yds, why not just use it at 25 yds? What’s the reason for using two types of bullets?
Two main reasons. Cost and recoil. You can usually buy lead for less and load it with less powder. On my 38 Super I have been searching for the right lead bullet. Until I find it I plan on shooting all jacketed. If I never find it then no biggie because I really like the jacketed load.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:59 am

Jack H wrote:Any reason to consider leading by shooting the good jackets at 50, then shooting plated lead at 25?
I've never had great luck (accuracy) with plated copper BUT I'd guess bullets coated with HI-Tek Gold from Brazos Bullets might be a good option.  I'm just starting my testing of 200gr, 180gr & 160gr bullets.  What I have heard from others the results have been very good.  I am interested in how clean the barrel is long term using this coating.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by David R Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:19 am

Been alternating Brazos to jacketed,  No change in accuracy.

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down