Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sig Sauer 1911s

5 posters

Go down

Sig Sauer 1911s Empty Sig Sauer 1911s

Post by G.Rich Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:12 pm

I am wondering if anyone has any experience or an informed opinion about Sig 1911s for Bullsye. I currently shoot a Range Officer with mods but am interested in the Sigs. Thanks, Gary

G.Rich

Back to top Go down

Sig Sauer 1911s Empty Re: Sig Sauer 1911s

Post by AllAces Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:27 pm

I see very few Sigs at 2700 matches. I think for the money the Springfield is a better way to go, especially if you plan on having a gunsmith do some work on it.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullshooter Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:23 am

Gary,

The SIG 1911s that I've seen are top shelf, equal in quality and fitting to the Springfield Range Officer. The barrel fit to the slide is the best I've seen, and the frame to slide fit has zero play out of the box. To see if a Sig could be an inexpensive Bullseye capable gun, I fit a Kart match barrel bushing to a SIG XO and put it on the Ransom rest. With my standard 50 yard load, I got 50 yard groups from 1.75" to 2". Take a look at one target here:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=316271843

There are two minor hurdles with the Sigs - they have the "Series 80" style firing pin safety that detracts from the trigger pull IMHO, but a little gunsmithing can overcome that. They also have a different contour slide top, so a standard Clark slide mount would not fit without modification. The rear sight is milled for a standard Novak cut, so there are no drill & tap possibilities here with a Doctor type (or the new Burris Fastfire) compact red dot sight.

Walt Jackson / Bull Shooters

Bullshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:51 am

Why try and reinvent the wheel, Now if a true 1911 wasn't available anymore or if the sig was significantly cheaper i could see it. But that's not the case ,In the bullseye game Many have tried to out do the true 1911, trying Pardini, Sig, glock, ruger and the list goes on and it always ends the same, some may work ok but they soon fall by the wayside and the 1911 always prevails.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullshooter Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:56 am

The slide shape is a little different, but as far as all other parts and internals are concerned, the Sig is a true "80 Series" 1911, it's Bullseye accurate with a fitted bushing, and it has a forged frame with 25 LPI checkering, and it can be found for around $800. If you can find another stock gun for that money that will shoot 2" at 50 yards with nothing done other than a bushing fitted, I'd like to see it.

Bullshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:15 pm

Range Officer does it out of box if you believe what many here have posted and they sell for under 800.00, comes with National Match frame,slide and barrel (already throted to shoot wadcutters) and they dont have the less desirable 80 series trigger setup, the sig 1911's ive seen dont come with match grade adjustable sights either so to add those is at least 200.00 in parts and labor. IMO Its really a no brainier which is the better choice for a bullseye gun.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullshooter Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:50 pm

The original question was if anyone had experience with the Sig 1911. I'm not nocking the Springfield RO; I think it's a great value, but the Sig 1911 is just as well made and accurate. If you are going to go with iron sights, the RO is the way to go, but for a base gun for a dot-sighted wad gun, there are alternatives, and the Sig with a checkered forged frame is one to look at. I've shot and Ransom rested several examples of Sigs and ROs, and with one exception, they were all capable of 2" accuracy at 50 yards when fitted with a Kart barrel bushing, and no, they were not competetive with the loose stock barrel bushing. As for the the RO having a "National Match" frame, slide and barrel, in today's world of CNC machining, IMO, that's little more than marketing hype. And "throated to shoot wadcutters" is standard on any self-respecting 1911 these days.

Bullshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by rfmiller Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:16 pm

I shoot a SIG 1911 target model. After shooting a couple matches with iron sights, I had my gunsmith install a Weigand mount and installed an Ultradot. He also worked the trigger and it is now just over 3#. The only problems I have had were with my reloads (a bit too long with the SWC). Other than that it has performed admirably. It has not been shot on a rest or by a really good shooter, so I can't speak to its ultimate accuracy. Fit and finish are good. I am happy with it and will have a custom gun built when my scores justify it, but I will keep the SIG also.

rfmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:59 pm

Bullshooter wrote:The original question was if anyone had experience with the Sig 1911. Walt Jackson / Bull Shooters

or an informed opinion about Sig 1911s for Bullsye
Being a Firearms dealer for the past 25 years and dealing with many Sigs and a bullseye shooter, I offered my opinion. Not saying a Sig is a bad gun, it just wouldn't be my first choice for this sport.The Sig is like a lot of guns, it can be made to work for bullseye, but its defiantly not a gun very many choose to use in bullseye competitions. As a Sig pertains to Bullseye as the poster asked, The truth is, In all the matches Ive attended I have never seen one on the line being used in a match, That said, if you have one and are happy with its performance then none of this talk means anything, Enjoy it and may many 10s and X's come your way. id love to play with a pardini 45 if i ever get the chance to pick one up at a bargain.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down