Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My First Ever 2700 and EIC - Many thanks to VSRPA and Vt National Guard

5 posters

Go down

My First Ever 2700 and EIC - Many thanks to VSRPA and Vt National Guard Empty My First Ever 2700 and EIC - Many thanks to VSRPA and Vt National Guard

Post by Slartybartfast 5/27/2019, 9:33 am

Participated in the VSRPA 2019 Vermont State Outdoor Pistol Championship yesterday.

It wasn't my first match, that was last year up here in Canada where I competed in Canadian 1800 (No 45 series), Sport Pistol, and ISSF matches. But I haven't had anything in the way of official competition since and have to admit my practice time since has been limited too.

The Match Director from VSRPA and the Chief/Range Officer from the Vt National Guard as well as all the other shooters, VSRPA members, and other military personnel there made the experience a truly memorable one.

The amazing military support extends to providing lodging on base for competitors. It was a different experience staying somewhere where people in the common room were in uniforms and conversation turned to deployments and other things military.

The trip involved crossing the border and unfortunately the ATF permit didn't have time to be processed. Can't fault them, they rushed my first application and turned out I answered a question I shouldn't have and the application was sent back to me unprocessed. Good news is that when my resubmitted application does get processed, I'll be good for all the matches this fall and beginning of next year as well. 

Without my own firearms, I was dependent on the organizers for firearms and ammo. A military High Standard for the .22 2700 until it started giving me problems and a VSRPA member (and military precision shooter) loaned me his Ruger Mk IV. For DR EIC I was loaned a superb S&W. And for Service Pistol a Caspian 1911 with a Kart barrel.

Overall, my performance can be best described as “Happy to not be in last place”. Nerves and the quick pace of firing, scoring, loading, and the long day really got to me at times and I had some atrocious scores in .22 and my brain just wouldn’t work for scoring. But I did shoot targets that approached my usual averages and even shot a couple in timed/rapid that beat my personal bests (82 and 91). Revolver was unfortunately a sad joke. Forgot a lot of the concentration and process I had practised with my own revolver and drove many of the shots low. Witnessed by the water splashes downrange. The service pistol EIC surprised the heck out of me. Didn’t do great at 50 yd slow fire but amazed myself with an 80 in timed fire. Not too shabby for an unknown gun in a calibre I never shoot.

I have vowed to go back for the Fall 2700 and possibly the CMP games in September and look forward to meeting up again with the same people and making other friends.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

My First Ever 2700 and EIC - Many thanks to VSRPA and Vt National Guard Empty Re: My First Ever 2700 and EIC - Many thanks to VSRPA and Vt National Guard

Post by DonBrummer 5/27/2019, 10:49 am

Good for you!  You had fun, you learned some lessons, and you met some awesome people.
DonBrummer
DonBrummer

Back to top Go down

My First Ever 2700 and EIC - Many thanks to VSRPA and Vt National Guard Empty Re: My First Ever 2700 and EIC - Many thanks to VSRPA and Vt National Guard

Post by Wobbley 5/27/2019, 11:06 am

Now all you need is a 45. Might just want to go find a Springfield Armory RO.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld 5/27/2019, 11:07 am

Sounds like a great experience to me!

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 5/27/2019, 11:15 am

Wobbley wrote:Now all you need is a 45.  Might just want to go find a Springfield Armory RO.
Might be heresy in bullseye circles, but I'm considering a Tanfoglio Gold Match with 45 and 9mm slides, barrels, and magazines.

If I had been able to bring my own firearms, I would have used my Walther PPQ 9mm for Service Pistol.

Even if I do acquire a 45 by the fall, I think I am best sticking with the .22 only 2700 until I have a lot more practice with CF and 45.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by KCKral 5/31/2019, 6:29 am

VSRPA State Pistol Championship is one of my favorite matches of the year. Steve Kirby, the match director, along with Larry Grace, Bruce Beauregaurd, Cara Krauss, and Rob Tucker all do an outstanding job. Many thanks to all of them for running such a smooth operation.

KCKral

http://kralbuilders.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 5/31/2019, 8:28 am

KCKral wrote:VSRPA State Pistol Championship is one of my favorite matches of the year. Steve Kirby, the match director, along with Larry Grace, Bruce Beauregaurd, Cara Krauss, and Rob Tucker all do an outstanding job. Many thanks to all of them for running such a smooth operation.
Steve Kirby and Larry Grace really bent over backwards to have me attend and participate.
With all the work Steve has to do to run the event, he made sure there was ammunition there for me to use and Larry Grace lent me his firearms for each event I participated in. Rob Tucker came to my rescue with his .22 pistol when the safety detent on the pistol I was initially using started to cause issues.
They run a great event at a wonderful range. Add in being able to stay on base and it was a truly unique experience.
Working on my wife to make room in our schedule so that I can participate in the fall 2700 and the following CMP games. Possibly going to be doing a lot of driving in September.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down