Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Proper way to clean powder from a reloading press

+6
dronning
kjanracing
Wobbley
james r chapman
zanemoseley
mikemyers
10 posters

Go down

Proper way to clean powder from a reloading press Empty Proper way to clean powder from a reloading press

Post by mikemyers Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:45 pm

What I've been doing to clean up a press after reloading, is to wrap my hand around the base and use a brush to move any errant powder particles into my hand, from which they go down the toilet.  I read long ago that one should never use a vacuum cleaner (which would work much better).  Any advice on how to do this better than brushing powder into my hand?

Sorry if this is too simple a question to be asking here, but nobody has yet given me a better answer.  Maybe there's something I haven't yet thought of?????

If there is a good answer, I need to pass it on to a relative in a couple of weeks.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Proper way to clean powder from a reloading press Empty Re: Proper way to clean powder from a reloading press

Post by zanemoseley Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:16 pm

A shop vac is fine for small amounts. I wouldn't go sucking up a pile of it but fine for small spills. I reload in my basement and usually just use compressed air to clean off my presses. I also use microfiber rags and denatured alcohol to clean presses and my stainless work bench top.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Proper way to clean powder from a reloading press Empty Re: Proper way to clean powder from a reloading press

Post by james r chapman Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:38 pm

I think the issue with vacuum cleaners comes from a century ago with the motors then in use creating enough heat to ignite the powders. I’d use the shopvac.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:41 pm

maybe this?

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-HHVI315JO42-Dustbuster-Cordless/dp/B01DAI5BZ2/ref=sxin_2_ac_d_pm?gclid=Cj0KCQjwxMjnBRCtARIsAGwWnBM8j9WG3NrK0dIgNZscJBgBl9j6XqtNhuRj6fAzcy_axiT_bJGf_4YaAm0pEALw_wcB&hvadid=323086235500&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9011918&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=8093438008452939102&hvtargid=kwd-314820098612&hydadcr=16481_10307800&keywords=cordless+hand-held+vacuums&pd_rd_i=B01DAI5BZ2&pd_rd_r=9e6a5985-2ce3-4664-99a6-1a0c85f29318&pd_rd_w=bnxhQ&pd_rd_wg=5TGGz&pf_rd_p=64aaff2e-3b89-4fee-a107-2469ecbc5733&pf_rd_r=28DNAMBCT537ER5WKB71&qid=1559443026&s=gateway
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:02 pm

Also in the old days, the filters weren’t very good and you’d get the fines all over the place.

Rather than air to blow powder alloverdamplace, maybe use the air to power this. Then wash the bag out in the laundry.

https://www.amazon.com/Steelman-99978-Pneumatic-Vacuum-Blower/dp/B00LB5PCLU/ref=asc_df_B00LB5PCLU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312153125665&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4002468852418817500&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9061211&hvtargid=pla-569458816983&psc=1
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:25 am

Speaking of vacuum cleaners, and a little off topic is a story my mother still likes to tell.  When I was in my teens I was very into shooting, mostly .22. Deep shag carpet was very in in the 70s. My mom was vacuuming and vacuumed up an unfired  .22lr. It went off in the vacuum cleaner! She says the headlines would read: “Mother shot by vacuum cleaner.” !
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:43 am

If you use a vac just make sure it has a HEPA filter so it captures very fine dust.  Also over time I start to be concerned about powder accumulation in the filter and blow it out with an air hose.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by desben Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:49 am

I use a paper towel with some WD-40 sprayed on it. Leaves my press clean and shiny!
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:11 pm

I don't do any of that. When thru loading for the day or the batch I remove the hopper and funnel the powder back into the can it came out of. I then tap it (upside down) a couple of time on the bench to knock any loose flakes and set hopper aside for the next time I need it. Did I miss any flakes? Probably. Will it make any difference? No. I used to clean after each use but after cleaning no matter how squeeky clean I tried to get it I would always have powder clumping and clinging to the sides. Only by not cleaning was I able to keep it dry and non-clingy. The loose flakes on the bench get swept into the trash.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:54 pm

Len, if I'm done reloading, I put the powder back in the bottle and try to clean up, but if I'm going to continue reloading the next day, I often leave things set up.

On my press, the RCBS Pro2000, there is a spring loaded ball under the shell plate which locks everything into position.  Unfortunately, when this happens, I can often see a few specs of powder come flying out of the case.   That is the powder I want to get rid of, and right now I do so by placing my left hand alongside the shell plate at the end of the session, and brushing any loose debris onto my hand.

The hand held vacuum I am most interested in has a clear plastic "shell" so I can look inside at any time, and at the end of the day, dump any loose powder particles down the toilet.  

Proper way to clean powder from a reloading press Screen55

kjanracing, after an incident like that, I'm surprised all your shooting gear wasn't banned. :-) 
I assume your mom was less than thrilled about the whole incident!!
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:00 pm

Actually she thought it was pretty funny and still laughs when she tells that story.
Kurt
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:58 pm

On my Dillon press I have switched to glass powder hoppers (that I learned about from this forum).  If initially cleaned with warm soapy water and let to air dry without rinsing, it has eliminated powder clinging to the sides of the hopper.  The company, Dram Worx, makes glass hoppers for other presses also.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:37 pm

Mike, If you have to clean up some loose flakes a tool similar to my old solder sucker works perfectly. I suppose a turkey basting tool would work as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bulb-Solder-Sucker/113603227022?hash=item1a7347ad8e:g:nswAAOSwRfxcT3dt

Proper way to clean powder from a reloading press S-l1600
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:59 pm

Thanks; I ordered the hand vac.  If I use it, I'll clean it out the same day.  Will let you know how it works out.  

I like things being nice and clean, and having old powder sprinkled around annoys me.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:12 pm

This will get all the powder residue, coarse, fine. Never clean a HEPA filter again.

SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down