Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I would like safe/vault recommendations

+17
zanemoseley
lyman1903
mikemyers
dronning
PhotoEscape
Allen Barnett
dapduh2
Dr.Don
weber1b
inthebeech
Steve Brown
LenV
joy2shoot
Wobbley
pgg
NuJudge
Tim:H11
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I would like safe/vault recommendations  - Page 2 Empty I would like safe/vault recommendations

Post by Tim:H11 Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

I've never bought a gun safe before and I'm looking to buy my first. I would like something thats fire resistant, something that holds at least 10 long guns and plenty of shelf space for pistols. I have more pistols than long guns. The problem is that what I'm finding generally cost a lot more than I had planned to spend. What are some of your choices or recommendations for gun safes?

Back to top Go down

I would like safe/vault recommendations  - Page 2 Empty Re: I would like safe/vault recommendations

Post by john bickar Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:01 am

WesG wrote:Single barrel Russell's reserve and George Dickels sour mash. In caffeine free diet coke

Good God, man, have some self respect! You're not a sorority girl!
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

I would like safe/vault recommendations  - Page 2 Empty Re: I would like safe/vault recommendations

Post by WesG Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:41 am

I have enough trouble sleeping without being wired on speed.

The sugar free part ... hey, I gotta watch my weight.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by lakesidemn Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:00 pm

I have a browning. Love it!
lakesidemn
lakesidemn

Back to top Go down

Post by paulb1946 Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:34 pm

I crack safes for a living (legally).
When purchasing a safe of any kind you first have to determine your primary security concern. Burglary or Fire protection? Best to go to an actual safe retailer and kick-the-tires so to speak, very few sporting goods stores know enough to be useful in making a conscientious decision. If you purchase on-line, be aware that delivery is tailgate to your door so be prepared to deal with it when it arrives at your driveway.

One general rule I explain to customers looking for a gun safe is "Gun safes are like boats and pole barns, they are never big enough!". Purchase the largest gun safe you can afford that will fit in the location you intend to put it. Understand that when manufacturers describe the gun storage capability they must be talking about broom sticks not actual size guns.

Select your fire protection based upon the structure housing the gun safe. Example; single story garage 30 minutes, multi-story log home 120 minutes. Calculate fire protection based upon length of time the structure is likely to burn at high temps. Understand that steam generated from the heat of a fire is what protects the contents. Therefore, your contents will be soaking wet and need to be protected accordingly, i.e.; paper items should be stored in a heavy-duty freezer zip-lock plastic bag, non-replaceable guns should be placed in a silicone treated gun sock. I was amazed at how one of a customer's gun was protected due to a silicone treated gun sock and the others were all rusted in a couple of days time. Rule is; as soon as the safe is cool enough to touch it without burning your hand it is time to open it and oil everything down.

Selecting a safe lock can be confusing, mechanical dial or electronic push button? Mechanical has desirable features such as EMP proof, sturdy and virtually maintenance free if you refrain from spinning it like a roulette wheel. Downside; only one re-settable combination, brass and chrome finishes can sometimes be had to read, not as convenient if you frequently open your safe. Electronic Push Button safe locks are definitely convenient for anyone that frequently opens their safe. They also allow for an easily re-settable "Master" combination and usually one or more "Users", "Users" can be added or deleted at the "Master's" choosing. Downside; battery (located under the keypad) has to be occasionally changed (I recommend once a year but they last much longer than that), kids love to push the buttons and will sometimes put you into a 5 minute Penalty Mode.

My personal Gun Safe choice (based upon experience) is Liberty brand for an affordable and adequate gun safe meeting the protection level to suit your needs.
My personal Safe Lock choice (based upon experience) is SecuRam brand for a reliable user friendly Electronic Lock. The SafeLogic line is more than adequate but their new ScanLogic Basic (bio-metric) is going to be extremely popular. Another option is their redundant SafeLogic "Xtreme" safe lock which incorporates both mechanical and electronic capability. Hell, they even have a model that works remotely from your smartphone.

Warranty is very important, many of the more popular manufacturers warranty their gun safe against burglary and/or fire damage and will drop-ship a replacement safe free of charge with proper loss verification.
paulb1946
paulb1946

Back to top Go down

Post by lakesidemn Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:30 pm

paulb1946 wrote:I crack safes for a living (legally).
When purchasing a safe of any kind you first have to determine your primary security concern. Burglary or Fire protection? Best to go to an actual safe retailer and kick-the-tires so to speak, very few sporting goods stores know enough to be useful in making a conscientious decision. If you purchase on-line, be aware that delivery is tailgate to your door so be prepared to deal with it when it arrives at your driveway.

One general rule I explain to customers looking for a gun safe is "Gun safes are like boats and pole barns, they are never big enough!". Purchase the largest gun safe you can afford that will fit in the location you intend to put it. Understand that when manufacturers describe the gun storage capability they must be talking about broom sticks not actual size guns.

Select your fire protection based upon the structure housing the gun safe. Example; single story garage 30 minutes, multi-story log home 120 minutes. Calculate fire protection based upon length of time the structure is likely to burn at high temps. Understand that steam generated from the heat of a fire is what protects the contents. Therefore, your contents will be soaking wet and need to be protected accordingly, i.e.; paper items should be stored in a heavy-duty freezer zip-lock plastic bag, non-replaceable guns should be placed in a silicone treated gun sock. I was amazed at how one of a customer's gun was protected due to a silicone treated gun sock and the others were all rusted in a couple of days time. Rule is; as soon as the safe is cool enough to touch it without burning your hand it is time to open it and oil everything down.

Selecting a safe lock can be confusing, mechanical dial or electronic push button? Mechanical has desirable features such as EMP proof, sturdy and virtually maintenance free if you refrain from spinning it like a roulette wheel. Downside; only one re-settable combination, brass and chrome finishes can sometimes be had to read, not as convenient if you frequently open your safe. Electronic Push Button safe locks are definitely convenient for anyone that frequently opens their safe. They also allow for an easily re-settable "Master" combination and usually one or more "Users", "Users" can be added or deleted at the "Master's" choosing. Downside; battery (located under the keypad) has to be occasionally changed (I recommend once a year but they last much longer than that), kids love to push the buttons and will sometimes put you into a 5 minute Penalty Mode.

My personal Gun Safe choice (based upon experience) is Liberty brand for an affordable and adequate gun safe meeting the protection level to suit your needs.
My personal Safe Lock choice (based upon experience) is SecuRam brand for a reliable user friendly Electronic Lock. The SafeLogic line is more than adequate but their new ScanLogic Basic (bio-metric) is going to be extremely popular. Another option is their redundant SafeLogic "Xtreme" safe lock which incorporates both mechanical and electronic capability. Hell, they even have a model that works remotely from your smartphone.

Warranty is very important, many of the more popular manufacturers warranty their gun safe against burglary and/or fire damage and will drop-ship a replacement safe free of charge with proper loss verification.

The above is the best advice I read on this post. 

Just one more comment though... I purchased an insurance rider that came with a zero deductible, and it was not very expensive. That way you don't have to worry as much about the fire side of the equation. Make sure to check with your homeowners, as they normally have limited coverage of firearms. If you want additional fire protection for small valuables, cash, etc., just get a small fire-rated SentrySafe chest (or similar) and place it inside your large safe.
lakesidemn
lakesidemn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2