Post by albertrichard123 on 6/6/2019, 1:04 pm

Includes: 
1.an original Hulme case feeder, not a clone
2.Rich Daniels adjustable powder bar, set for 3.8 BE
3.Life Tyme  carbide sizer die
4.Star taper crimp die
5.primer pickup tube....large
6.primer punch bushing screwdriver
7.Star safety cam assembly,  not needed with rimless case but needed with rimmed case: 38, 44. 45AR etc
8.set to load H&G # 130 swc, can reset to use H&G # 68 swc, before shipping, your choice
9.100% complete, nothing more to buy
10. Has sat idle since 2010, previous owner a recreational shooter, 22, some 9mm
11.dis-assembled, cleaned, lubed, reset all dies to load # 130 with 3.8 BE.
12.postal money order preferred, send your address for more pictures and or a quote on shipping/ins,
13.priced at $950 + shipping/ins. from Fresno, CA, 93710
14. ardickharris1@sbcglobal.net        559-540-5826

Star Universal in 45 ACP **SOLD** Star_u39
Star Universal in 45 ACP **SOLD** Star_u40
Star Universal in 45 ACP **SOLD** Star_u41

Last edited by albertrichard123 on 7/8/2019, 9:36 am; edited 2 times in total

albertrichard123

Back to top Go down

Star Universal in 45 ACP **SOLD** Empty Re: Star Universal in 45 ACP **SOLD**

Post by DD_USMC on 6/6/2019, 1:26 pm

No price listed so I'll take it since it is free.

Always needs to edit his ads......after the fact.
DD_USMC
DD_USMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp on 6/6/2019, 9:04 pm

I am so very very glad albertrichard123's ads do not post the audio of his Star Universals operating. That would be hard to resist.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar on 6/6/2019, 9:53 pm

If this has been worked over by Dick (and it looks like it has, and I don't think he would sell a Star that hasn't), it's going to be like new.

This is a good deal. (NFI)
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Star Universal in 45 ACP **SOLD** Empty Star Universal in 45 ACP **sold**

Post by albertrichard123 on 6/7/2019, 3:50 pm

Star Universal in 45 ACP **SOLD** Star_u48
Star Universal in 45 ACP **SOLD** Star_u46
Star Universal in 45 ACP **SOLD** Star_u47

Last edited by albertrichard123 on 6/12/2019, 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

albertrichard123

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton on 6/7/2019, 5:01 pm

I have merged both threads together.  There was a slight misunderstanding about how to add more pictures.

You can only have three pics per post and if you need to add more pics just post again within the same topic, you don’t have to start a new one.

No problem.  Good luck with the sale.  Looks like a nice press.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on 6/7/2019, 6:37 pm

I spent an hour or so this afternoon watching a vide about this machine.  I think "machine" is the right word.  This is tempting, as the video had me all fired up about this press, but I have no place to put it.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lm91m26e7w

Wonderful machine.  That's what Dave Salyer loads with.  
Good luck with the sale - I wish I was in a position to buy it.....
(even though it apparently uses a primer tube.....)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Star Universal in 45 ACP **SOLD** Empty this machine is ** sold **

Post by albertrichard123 on 6/12/2019, 7:18 pm

albertrichard123 wrote:Includes: 
1.an original Hulme case feeder, not a clone
2.Rich Daniels adjustable powder bar, set for 3.8 BE
3.Life Tyme  carbide sizer die
4.Star taper crimp die
5.primer pickup tube....large
6.primer punch bushing screwdriver
7.Star safety cam assembly,  not needed with rimless case but needed with rimmed case: 38, 44. 45AR etc
8.set to load H&G # 130 swc, can reset to use H&G # 68 swc, before shipping, your choice
9.100% complete, nothing more to buy
10. Has sat idle since 2010, previous owner a recreational shooter, 22, some 9mm
11.dis-assembled, cleaned, lubed, reset all dies to load # 130 with 3.8 BE.
12.postal money order preferred, send your address for more pictures and or a quote on shipping/ins,
13.priced at $950 + shipping/ins. from Fresno, CA, 93710
14. ardickharris1@sbcglobal.net        559-540-5826

Star Universal in 45 ACP **SOLD** Star_u39
Star Universal in 45 ACP **SOLD** Star_u40
Star Universal in 45 ACP **SOLD** Star_u41

albertrichard123

Back to top Go down

Star Universal in 45 ACP **SOLD** Empty question for mikemyers about Star 23 for sale

Post by albertrichard123 on 9/4/2019, 7:13 am

mikemyers wrote:I spent an hour or so this afternoon watching a vide about this machine.  I think "machine" is the right word.  This is tempting, as the video had me all fired up about this press, but I have no place to put it.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lm91m26e7w

Wonderful machine.  That's what Dave Salyer loads with.  
Good luck with the sale - I wish I was in a position to buy it.....
(even though it apparently uses a primer tube.....)
Mike: can you explain the meaning of your comment  "even though it apparently uses a primer tube "?
albertrichard123

albertrichard123

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on 9/4/2019, 8:24 am

Sure - to me, the primer tube is a pipe bomb just waiting to go off.  
I know a few zillion people use primer tubes,
...and I know of far too many who have had an "accident".

Again, for me, I want a loader such as the RCBS Pro2000 that keeps primers in plastic strips, so when/if a primer goes bang, it's just that one primer, and my reloading room will survive intact, and I won't need to go to the emergency room.

Most people don't want to think about this - "it won't happen to me".  Fifteen minutes doing Google searches prove otherwise.

In the 1980's, I used the RCBS primer tool, that had a tube to hold 50 or whatever primers.  Even back then, I loaded one primer at a time, by hand.

I often wonder how many people doing reloading wear polycarbonate safety glasses while doing so.  

There was a very long discussion about this here, or on TheHighroadForums about a fellow who was being particularly careful, understood FAR more about reloading than I ever will, and had some minor thing that he felt wasn't right about his press, but he didn't think it was a safety issue.  One primer went off, then all of them went off, and he went off to the emergency room.  I remember thinking "if it can happen to this guy, how about me?"  

People tell me that the primer tube is surrounded by a steel shield to protect the operator.  All that tells me is that the manufacturer knows it CAN go boom, and are minimizing (not eliminating) the chance of the operator being seriously injured.

For that matter, getting the Pro2000 isn't enough.  To eliminate the possibility of a double load, one needs to get the auto-index version or the add-on kit.  One more potential problem eliminated.

Nothing will ever by 100% safe and reliable, but for me, why accept risks if they can be avoided?

..........that explains what I meant.  Others will tell me I'm being silly. Anyone can research this on Google, and decide for themselves.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Star Universal in 45 ACP **SOLD** Empty reply from Mikemeyer's primer comment on the Star primer tube

Post by albertrichard123 on 9/4/2019, 8:54 am

Thanks for  the update on the Star primer tube comment. Have never encountered this problem nor do I know of this happening to others. Will accept your take on this as  being a valid event.. 

Started using the Star in late '58 and have always felt comfortable using one. 

When first reading your comment, I expected something like what you have shared with the us (the forum).

Thank you for such an extensive explanation, more than I expected.

alberrichard123 aka AR "Dick' Harris

albertrichard123

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on 9/4/2019, 10:12 am

Actually, it wasn't an update on the "Star primer tube"; all the instances I remember reading about are with Dillon presses.  The fact that the Star uses a primer tube bothers me, but maybe I'm not thinking of the reloading press, just the tube.  My impression of the Star is very positive - "rugged" would be an understatement.  

I wouldn't want anyone to decide anything based on what *I* write here.  Anyone with a computer can do a search for "reloading press explosion" and then decide for themselves.  

I've always felt a little bit uneasy about primers, and shot an empty case a while back, just to see what ONE primer going off would be like.  This was after reading a very detailed post on what I'm sure was The Highroad Forums a long, long time ago.

If the Star didn't use the primer tube, I might have tried to buy one a long time ago.  I watched a video of one in action, and it was impressive.  Please ignore what I write here, and just do your own Google search, then decide for yourself.

Added later - this is one of the threads that bothered me about primer tubes and reloading:
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/a-series-of-unfortunate-events-warning-graphic-very.776339/
It's from a long time ago....   And there are many more, if one does a search. 
My reaction was to prevent any kind of mass primer explosion as much as humanly possible.
To me, that meant no primer tubes.

.......and I don't know enough about the Star to say much one way or another, but I don't remember anyone posting about primer accidents with a Star.  If I ever did enough research on the Star, I might have bought one long ago, but back then I didn't know anything about them.  Again, please do your own search, and decide for yourself, instead of just reading what I post here.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley on 9/4/2019, 10:36 am

A couple of points about primers.

They’re not THAT sensitive. When I worked at Remington arms, I visited Lake City plant and saw the primer manufacturing of primers for the Vulcan 20mm ammunition. After assembly the primers were pushed trough a die to make them round and the correct size. They were fed to this machine using vibratory feeder bowls. The press used was punching them through the die at 100 per minute.

Star, Camdex, and Ammoload machines handle primers extremely well with few mishaps. Their “secret” is careful and precise fit of the parts. Explosions are rare. Dillon’s 650 deviates from that and explosions have occurred. Note that the 750 has returned to feeding primers on a slide.

RCBS pickup tubes aren’t made outstandingly well. Jams have occurred at the pickup. I’m going to rip off those nylon “pickup” pieces on the end and replace them with Dillon pickups. Lee priming systems with the folding tray look “Rube Goldbergish” but seem to have a decent safety record.

Just don’t get complacent or force anything.

Wobbley
Wobbley

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on 9/4/2019, 10:42 am

Dave, I don't know anything about RCBS pickup tubes - the primer strips I use aren't anything like a tube, they are strips that you use their primer loader to load 25 primers into each strip, and the strip moves horizontally through the press, advancing one at a time.  I'll find a video later, in the meantime here's what they look like:

Star Universal in 45 ACP **SOLD** 41XDla9cusL_480x

As to the newer 5 and 7 station progressive RCBS presses, they use a primer tube.  I read lots of reviews, not a single one of which was positive, but for other reasons, not the primer tubes.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian on 9/4/2019, 10:50 am

Wobbley wrote:
Just don’t get complacent or force anything.
 I've set off primers with a Lee hand loading system, a Dillon 650 and a RCBS APS bench primer (my current choice).  All got my attention and luckily failed to set off adjacent primers.  I do wear "eyes and ears" while priming and the APS bench loader has a small blast shield.   

None of them felt like I was forcing the primer, however, this one went in sideways and did feel like forcing it (RCBS hand primer).  It sustained this damage and removal from the case without going off.   So, I think the primers I have set off may have somehow been "more sensitive".
Star Universal in 45 ACP **SOLD** Snj1iz8
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on 9/4/2019, 11:19 am

Aprilian wrote: I've set off primers with ...... and a RCBS APS bench primer (my current choice).  ......and the APS bench loader has a small blast shield.   
This sounds very different than the RCBS APS priming tool I've been using:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geHLJiX9OjY
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Texasjim on 9/4/2019, 3:34 pm

They still make star reloaders? I sold my last one in the 1970’s couldn’t get parts anymore. I ran a commercial loading shop using ammoloads (4) in the 1980’s. Used their vibration primer feeders after , I don’ t how many million rounds, blew a primer. Changed out the tube and kept loading. I knew Mike Dillon, testified in a law suit over a blown tube on a RL 1000. He and Winchester settled the case when plaintiffs lowered their money demand. Plaintiff was tumbling brass using gasoline. Primer set off the fumes, talk about a bomb but WW and Mike settled for a few bucks just to get rid of it. I’m using a 550,650 and RL 1000b now, no problems. It is true 2 kinds of people one who has blown a tube and those that are going to. Stay safe. On another note Magma Engineering took over Star Luber and sizers. Who is making the reloaders?

Texasjim

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 on 9/4/2019, 5:08 pm

Check out star loaders web site. There is a fellow who supplies parts and rebuilt loaders..
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by rbwillnj on 9/5/2019, 3:56 pm

Texasjim wrote:They still make star reloaders? I sold my last one in the 1970’s couldn’t get parts anymore. I ran a commercial loading shop using ammoloads (4) in the 1980’s. Used their vibration primer feeders after , I don’ t how many million rounds, blew a primer. Changed out the tube and kept loading. I knew Mike Dillon, testified in a law suit over a blown tube on a RL 1000. He and Winchester settled the case when plaintiffs lowered their money demand. Plaintiff was tumbling brass using gasoline. Primer set off the fumes, talk about a bomb but WW and Mike settled for a few bucks just to get rid of it. I’m using a 550,650 and RL 1000b now, no problems. It is true 2 kinds of people one who has blown a tube and those that are going to. Stay safe. On another note Magma Engineering took over Star Luber and sizers. Who is making the reloaders?

Couldn't get Star parts in the '70s??  That's just silly.   Star didn't close their doors until 1997.   Bill Cunningham bought then it at that point and sold original OEM parts.   In 2014 I bought Star from Bill Cunningham and I still offer all of the parts for Star reloaders.   I also offer As New rebuilt/refinished machines in all pistol calibers.

Bruce Williams
Attachments
Star Universal in 45 ACP **SOLD** Attachment
Business Card.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(86 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
rbwillnj
rbwillnj

http://StarMachineWorks.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley on 9/5/2019, 4:21 pm

Even when they were in business in San Diego, their loader and sizer weren’t their bread and butter. So sometimes parts orders had to wait for a run of machines.
Wobbley
Wobbley

Back to top Go down

Post by rbwillnj on 9/5/2019, 5:21 pm

Wobbley wrote:Even when they were in business in San Diego, their loader and sizer weren’t their bread and butter.  So sometimes parts orders had to wait for a run of machines.

Actually, during the 60's and 70's the reloading business represented at least 60+% of their business.  In 1979 it was 85% of their business.   But yes, demand was so high there were periods when there were long lead times for reloaders and tool heads especially.
rbwillnj
rbwillnj

Back to top Go down

Post by Texasjim on 9/5/2019, 8:05 pm

Sorry Bruce, maybe should have elaborated as I don’t want to be silly. I had two in the 1970’s but by the end of the 70’s it was taking forever to get parts so I sold them. So good luck with your endeavor. On another note I still have my luber and sizer.

Texasjim

Back to top Go down

Post by rbwillnj on 9/6/2019, 8:07 am

Sorry Texasjim,    I get worked up when people say they can't get parts for a Star reloader.

Star sold the Lubesizer business to Magma Engineering back in 1997 and they still make new ones.
rbwillnj
rbwillnj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum