Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S&W Model 41 barrel land marks

4 posters

Go down

S&W Model 41 barrel land marks Empty S&W Model 41 barrel land marks

Post by djw1cav 6/7/2019, 4:02 pm

I have a 5 month old performance Center Model 41 with 2000 rounds thru it.    It has a couple of issues that I am hoping I might find some help with.

1.  After cleaning my barrel this week I noticed marks on the lands.  They go across the lands from one land to another.  These marks travel all of the way down the barrel about every 1/4" to 1/2" apart.     It appears that something that was rotating went down the barrel and left these marks.  I have never seen anything like this before.  Has anyone else seen this or I should be concerned about it?  I have not tested the gun for accuracy. 

2.  On three occasions I have had a case stick in the chamber.  The last time it happened was with a Volquartsen extractor.  After the case was stuck I tried to push the slide forward so the extractor would catch the lip of the case and pull it out but the extractor would not engage the case lip.   Then I tried to pry the case out with my fingernail and it was too tight so that did not work.  Finally, I inserted a wooden dowel in the end of the barrel and pushed the case out.  The extractor worked fine for several several hundred rounds prior to the this happening and for several hundred rounds afterwords.   (I only shoot CCI std velocity).  Has anyone else had cases stick in the chamber?

DJW1CAV

djw1cav

Back to top Go down

S&W Model 41 barrel land marks Empty Re: S&W Model 41 barrel land marks

Post by Domino1 6/9/2019, 8:46 am

I have a new PC pistol but have not looked down the barrel to look for tool marks.  The pistol was a mess when I got it new.  The barrel and slide had marks on the side. The 22 long rifle on the side of the barrel was crooked.  I had to tap the barrel with a rubber mallet to remove it.  After several times of doing this the barrel was still hard to remove without the rubber mallet.  One of the magazine bases was not on the magazine correctly.  S&W fixed all these issues but on the top of the barrel within the rail slots you can see machining marks in every slot.  Machining and overall care and QC does not seem to be S&W's strong suit these days.

For the rounds stuck in the chamber.  Can you do a plunk test and have the round fall in and out of the barrel?  Take the barrel off and hold it vertically and dropped a round in the chamber.  Does it go all the way down?  Flip the barrel over and it should fall out.  If not then the chamber needs cleaned.  Use an oversize brush and clean the chamber. 

If you are just looking for M41 information you might try rimfire central under S&W and Model 41.  There is some good information there on that model:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=306

Domino1

Back to top Go down

Post by djw1cav 6/9/2019, 5:17 pm

Domino1 wrote:I have a new PC pistol but have not looked down the barrel to look for tool marks.  The pistol was a mess when I got it new.  The barrel and slide had marks on the side. The 22 long rifle on the side of the barrel was crooked.  I had to tap the barrel with a rubber mallet to remove it.  After several times of doing this the barrel was still hard to remove without the rubber mallet.  One of the magazine bases was not on the magazine correctly.  S&W fixed all these issues but on the top of the barrel within the rail slots you can see machining marks in every slot.  Machining and overall care and QC does not seem to be S&W's strong suit these days.

For the rounds stuck in the chamber.  Can you do a plunk test and have the round fall in and out of the barrel?  Take the barrel off and hold it vertically and dropped a round in the chamber.  Does it go all the way down?  Flip the barrel over and it should fall out.  If not then the chamber needs cleaned.  Use an oversize brush and clean the chamber. 

If you are just looking for M41 information you might try rimfire central under S&W and Model 41.  There is some good information there on that model:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=306

I am disappointed with the quality/workmanship of my PC model 41.  The tool marks on the feed ramp were so deep I was concerned that removing them would change how the ammo feeds.  All of the machined edges were so sharp you could cut yourself on them etc etc. 

I will try the plunk test with a new round and check out rimfire central as well. 
Thanks for the tips.
DJW1CAV

djw1cav

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 6/9/2019, 6:38 pm

If you look through this thread:
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t12465-sw-model-41-detailed-dis-assembly-and-assembly-instructions

.....you will find some excellent advice from 'mustachio' and others about dealing with the chamber and rounds sticking.
This is on an older 41 though.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 6/9/2019, 6:45 pm

By the way, did you buy it with a credit card?   Call your bank, and tell them the product is not what you expected, and is not working correctly.  For me, the bank put a hold on the payment, and when the vendor didn't respond, I ended up without paying anything, and keeping the damaged goods.  For you, you should get ALL your money back, and the seller should pay for the return shipping if they want it back.

Unless you paid with cash, you have options.  Call your bank first thing in the morning, and they will want a full description of what is going on.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by djw1cav 6/9/2019, 8:17 pm

mikemyers wrote:By the way, did you buy it with a credit card?   Call your bank, and tell them the product is not what you expected, and is not working correctly.  For me, the bank put a hold on the payment, and when the vendor didn't respond, I ended up without paying anything, and keeping the damaged goods.  For you, you should get ALL your money back, and the seller should pay for the return shipping if they want it back.

Unless you paid with cash, you have options.  Call your bank first thing in the morning, and they will want a full description of what is going on.
No credit card and I purchased it last January.

djw1cav

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 6/9/2019, 8:27 pm

You still have options:
    https://consumer.findlaw.com/consumer-transactions/customer-returns-and-refund-laws-by-state.html

How did you pay for it?   I assume it wasn't used, or sold "as-is".  Have you contacted S&W?
Seems to me that you should write up a comprehensive letter explaining everything, and submit it to the people where you bought the gun, and to S&W.  If you paid by check, maybe contact your bank.

Send the letters registered mail, and follow up with a phone call - or call first and get someone's name.  If the product you received is not suitable for the intended purchase, you still have options - but document everything.

Insist that they either make it right, or replace it.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere 6/9/2019, 10:22 pm

You can call S&W for a mailing label. Send it back. They'll probably replace the barrel and repair and/or replace any other concerns. 

They're pretty easy to deal with.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by djw1cav 6/10/2019, 11:48 am

Outthere wrote:You can call S&W for a mailing label. Send it back. They'll probably replace the barrel and repair and/or replace any other concerns. 

They're pretty easy to deal with.
I did call S&W when I first received the pistol (after I put about 100 rounds thru the gun the magazine started dropping out with every shot) and they helped me solve the problem.   So I am confident that they will help me if there is a real problem. 

I am not sure if the barrel marks are a real problem or just cosmetic. The bottom line for bullseye shooters is how accurate is the gun.  I tested it yesterday and had a 10 shot, 25 yard group of 1 3/16".  Take out one flyer and it was 15/16".  This was off a sandbag.  I think that is an OK group.  So are the barrel marks a problem or just cosmetic.  I honestly dont know.  Do other Model 41 owners get better results off a sand bag?

Regarding the case stuck in chamber problem.  It was suggested that I try the plunk test, which I did last night.  The barrel failed the plunk test.  A new round went in and stopped with an 1/8" left to go.  I was able to push it the last 1/8" with very little effort.  I did not clean the barrel for this test.    It has 130 rounds thru it since I cleaned it last and 2000 since I purchased it new.  For the entire 2000 rounds I have struggled with multiple cycling issues including stuck cases.  The last thing I did to address the cycling issues was replace the standard 7 1/2lb spring with a Wolf 6 1/2lb spring.  The cycling problems usually start after I have about 175 rounds thru the gun.  I am assuming this is not normal.  If the cycling problems continue with the new spring I will be calling S&W.

DJW1CAV

djw1cav

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 6/10/2019, 12:24 pm

Check the link I posted here earlier, for mustachio's advice on the chamber.  The rounds should drop in, and drop out.  Turns out I had "stuff" in the chamber.  Once that was gone, everything was fine.  

If you have a bore light, you will probably see it.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down