Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swaged vs Cast Bullets

+3
Founder
TF
Tom Jadlos
7 posters

Go down

Swaged vs Cast Bullets Empty Swaged vs Cast Bullets

Post by Tom Jadlos Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:40 pm

I am relatively new to bullseye competition. I competed in 2700 matches this past summer shooting my Model 41 in all the events. I've purchased a Dave Salyer wadgun, Dillon 550, and in the process of buying components (Starline brass, WW primers, Bullseye powder). Is there a difference between swaged and cast bullets as far as leading? I'm trying to decide between buying from Zero (swaged) and Magnus (cast) and would appreciate your comments. I plan on shooting a 200 gr. SWC for both short and long line. Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks
Tom

Tom Jadlos

Back to top Go down

Swaged vs Cast Bullets Empty Re: Swaged vs Cast Bullets

Post by TF Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:43 pm

How about accuracy too?

Is there a difference between cast and swaged bullet accuracy?

TF

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:18 pm

Magnus also offers swaged bullets and they are typically available.

The consistent weight, shape and size of the swaged bullets are favored by most shooters in the Bullseye world. Accuracy will go hand in hand with the consistency of the bullets. There are some good casters out there but in my opinion the swaged are the better option.

YMMV
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:49 pm

Why do my posts keep getting lost?
1) Swaged bullets are not pure lead and will not lead any more the cast.
2) If you get leading, try a very light tumble lube of Lee Liquid Alox. It adheres to the bullet bearing surface and prevents more if not all leading of bullets that are slightly too small.
3) My best accuracy is with my own cast bullets from an RCBS 452-201-SWC mold. My next most accurate are from an H&G #68 mold. Next is a toss-up between Zero 200gn swaged L-SWC and mastercastbullets.com "soft" 200gn L-SWC H&G #68 clone. Those swaged bullets are harder than my own cast bullets.
3) Slug you barrel and make sure that your bullets are larger than the groove diameter of your barrel.
4) Brush off the feed ramp and breech occasionally and run a dry brush and patch through your barrel to inspect for leading.
5) I usually go at least 5000 rounds between cleaning and, what leading there is, is easily brushed out.

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by jakuda Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:38 am

Realized precision from swaged over cast lead is from the bullet being more consistent. Typically the shoulders and base will have clean edges. There is no sprue or voids to worry about in swaged bullets.
That being said, if the caster and/or you do quality control on the bullets you use, cast bullets can be just as accurate as the swaged, but it's easier to just used swaged IMHO.

I also second the rec for Magnus Bullets. Great guy and online shop.

jakuda

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:11 pm

Its all about quality, ive had bad and good in both and both that would shoot just as good as the other.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Snobal Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:36 pm

I'm new to reloading .45 ACP, but have been reloading and shooting 4,000 to 5,000 rounds of it a year, for the past two years.

In my testing, I've found the best accuracy with bullets made of wheel-weight lead with 2% added tin, water-dropped, from an RCBS 45-201-SWC mold and anywhere from 3.6 to 4.0 grains of Bullseye powder. About 3.8 grains of Bullseye seems to work just fine.

JMHO - YRMV

Snobal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down