Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rapid fire help please

+3
TonyH
Jack H
Sheriff1962
7 posters

Go down

Rapid fire help please  Empty Rapid fire help please

Post by Sheriff1962 6/20/2019, 12:59 am

Any suggestions to improve my rapid fire will be appreciated.

Sheriff1962

Back to top Go down

Rapid fire help please  Empty Re: Rapid fire help please

Post by Jack H 6/20/2019, 2:31 am

Don't think.  Just see and let it happen
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 6/20/2019, 5:45 am

USMC Pistol Team Workbook...start on page 1 and work through the drills as it states.
Here's the link to the modified version of the workbook: http://www.ssppl.org/PDFs/USMCPistolTeamWorkbook.pdf
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by farmboy 6/20/2019, 6:39 am

Assuming grip and position are correct. It is important to apply pressure to the trigger as soon as you begin to recover from recoil and to enter the black. The pressure should be constant until the gun goes off as sights  are being aligned arriving at the center of  black aiming area. It takes somewhat of a leap of faith to start with but your wanting the gun to fire when the sights are within the aiming area even if they are wobbling around - not the absolute center of the black bull but with in the aiming area.  concentrating on the gun going off when you are with in a bigger aiming area helps you mentally stay consistent with the trigger pull and not a start and stop hesitation. You will be able to refine with practice. 

When training if you find yourself late to apply pressure or hesitate on the trigger pressure as your moving to the center of the aiming area stop, put the gun down and restart so you train yourself  as to what the correct shot looks like and feels like.  Accept early shots as your starting out as part of the process.  Early shots typically are better than late shots from pressure applied late or a hesitant start and stop trigger pull.
farmboy
farmboy

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 6/26/2019, 8:24 am

I don't know how bad things are right now in rapid fire but if they're bad, I'd start with the mental chant "sights sights sights sights sights sights sights" with 5 gradually increasing pressure UNINTERRUPTED squeezes in 10 seconds.  Regardless of the amount of skill even the most wobbly novice shooter can keep it in the 8 ring if they are focusing on the sights and squeezing consistently through the course of fire.
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 6/26/2019, 9:48 am

IMHO - while SF is all about mental concentration, RF and TF is a reflex (definition - a reflected action or movement; the sum total of any particular automatic response mediated by the nervous system. A reflex is built into the nervous system and does not need the intervention of conscious thought to take effect.) shooting. Thus nothing will replace actual trigger time. Hence #1 - find indoor range with turning targets that allow for time settings, so you can set 10 or 20 seconds multiple face time session with 30 seconds edge time in between; #2 - get 10000-15000 rounds of dissent 22 LR ammo; and #3 - as suggested above by Jack H - turn your brain off, and let rounds fly;

Once you comfortable with 22, include 45 or other centerfire in the routine.
AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 6/26/2019, 10:09 am

If I turn my brain off, my rounds really will fly.

I always have and suspect always will have to actively concentrate on proper sight picture.

Not thinking about anything else will come with trigger time, absolutely.
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

Post by David R 6/27/2019, 7:37 am

I count in my head to ten.  I know when the targets are going to turn back. 
I know how much time I have.  I do count to 20 for Timed fire.

I Squeeze  the trigger.  This is the biggest thing for me.   I believe you have  your sights aligned and are yanking or jerking the trigger. Just have faith, hold the  sight picture and only think about squeezing the trigger so it does not move the gun. 

Relax, be ready, squeeze the first shot off, repeat.  

If I do not get the first shot off right, it can screw up the rest of the string.  I learned after a while to not let it bother me and make 4 good shots, forget about the first bad one.

Keep at it, you will get it.    

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 6/27/2019, 9:04 am

I don't recommend counting.  It distracts from what you should be paying attention to right now, which is holding your sights on target through multiple trigger pulls.  So you saved a round now, so what?  Did you get 4 good pulls?  Does that give you the confidence to do those pulls just as smoothly but just a little bit faster next time?

With practice you will get used to what 10 and 20 seconds feels like.
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down