Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revolvers again

5 posters

Go down

Revolvers again Empty Revolvers again

Post by Virgil Kane 12/17/2012, 6:53 pm

Just curiuos if anybody has tried the 5 degree forcing cone for bullseye shooting? Supposedly Ruger uses a 5 degree forcing cone on all of their revolvers in 38 caliber and wondered how this would compare to the 11 degree forcing cone that Power recommends? Better, worse, no different? I know that Taylor throating is suppose to be the ultimite with cast bullets but some say that it's no better that the 11 degree for accuracy. Would this 5 degree fall into the same as the others as far as usefullness or just another gimmic?

I ask because I have a S&W 14-3 that I have to set the barrel back becuse of excessive barrel cylinder gap and I will have to have the forcing cone recut at the same time.

Virgil

Virgil Kane

Back to top Go down

Revolvers again Empty Re: Revolvers again

Post by Al 12/17/2012, 7:12 pm

Hopefully Jerry Keefer will chime in with some sage advice. I don't know of anothers opinion I would heed more.

Al

Back to top Go down

Revolvers again Empty forcing cones

Post by inthebeech 12/19/2012, 12:55 pm

Hello virgil,

I think you'll find very few folks who have actually shot the million or so rounds out of the two angles to have reliable data as to the superiority of one or the other. Man, that just isn't a lot of difference and if your cylinder chambers line up well, the bullet is not going to see but a few thousandths of an inch of forcing cone anyway.

I had my smith cut one on my 38 to ten degrees. I made a lead lap and polished it up (don't overlook the importance of the finish in this area - No offense intended to the Taylor throat guy but perhaps it is the quality of the finish that is providing the improvement. How many of us really take a magnified look at our S&W forcing cones? It was an eye opener for me.) and all I have to do now to make it shoot two inch groups at fifty yards is.....stuff cartridges in it- any cartridges!

Bottom line, size the bullets properly, make sure you have a forcing cone as smooth as your smth can get it, and if you have the right dimensional relationship between groove/throat/sized bullet diameters, your 38 will also be frighteningly accurate I think.
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 12/20/2012, 5:12 pm

The priority with transition from cartridge case to rifling, is to prevent/eliminate distortion of the projectile. The Taylor Throat excels at this. Forcing cones regardless of angle, begin to upset the bullet while it is making this transition, and before it enters the rifling leade. The Taylor Throat allows the projectile to move into the throat without disruption, and then into a very gentle 1-1/2 degree leade angle. Slugs pushed thru by hand and inspected in a micro scope reveal a very telling difference. The pressure difference required push the slug thru by hand is readily apparent. Once the mass of a projectile is disturbed, its center of gravity is altered. This applies to all projectiles, rifle or pistol.. Once altered, it can never correct itself. I very much agree with a micro finish. There is an aggregate of modifications that make an accurate revolver. The Taylor Throat compliments them all.
Jerry
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 12/20/2012, 5:23 pm

Virgil Kane wrote:Just curiuos if anybody has tried the 5 degree forcing cone for bullseye shooting? Supposedly Ruger uses a 5 degree forcing cone on all of their revolvers in 38 caliber and wondered how this would compare to the 11 degree forcing cone that Power recommends? Better, worse, no different? I know that Taylor throating is suppose to be the ultimite with cast bullets but some say that it's no better that the 11 degree for accuracy. Would this 5 degree fall into the same as the others as far as usefullness or just another gimmic?

I ask because I have a S&W 14-3 that I have to set the barrel back becuse of excessive barrel cylinder gap and I will have to have the forcing cone recut at the same time.

Virgil
Virgil;
If you decide to run the factory forcing cone, and bullseye accuracy is your priority, have your smith / machinist, single point the forcing cone on both the X and Z axis center lines. I have re-cut countless forcing cones, and I have yet to find one that was zeroed. That's because you are dealing with a factory assembly line unit.. It can only be so exact.

Good luck
Jerry
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgil Kane 12/20/2012, 6:22 pm

Thanks Jerry, your advice along with others is greatly appriciated!

Virgil

Virgil Kane

Back to top Go down

Revolvers again Empty Taylor Throat and revolver smiths

Post by Jerry Keefer 12/21/2012, 6:54 pm

I have received several PM requests for additional info on the process, and for experienced revolver smiths.

First, Jim Stroh of Alpha Precision, was on the ground floor of the Taylor Throat. Taylor was not a gunsmith, but had the idea. Jim knew Taylor, so this is how the process evolved. The barrel is removed, centered on both axis and custom reamers and single point boring is used to accomplish the task..

Jim is an excellent revolver smith, and knows more about the Taylor Throat history/process than anyone. Jim tutored me some years ago on the work..

Jim is a possibility for such work.

Another excellent revolver smith is Mark Hartshorne of Pinnacle Guns in Pa. He is a Guild member, a superb machinist, and a revolver competitor.

I simply cannot take on more work..

Thanks for the interest and goodluck

Jerry
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by waid1406 2/25/2014, 8:57 am

Sorry for picking upp this tread but Im looking for tools to do the Taylor throat on my PPC revolvers.

any sourses would be helpfull

waid1406

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 2/25/2014, 6:19 pm

waid1406 wrote:Sorry for picking upp this tread but Im looking for tools to do the Taylor throat on my PPC revolvers.

any sourses would be helpfull
In the absence of a lathe and spider to center and align the bore for a single point cut, you can have one of the reamer makers grind a reamer with pilot bushings to guide and support the reamer.. Clymer or JGS is my recommendation. The cost will probably exceed sending the gun to a smith like Jim Stroh who knows the process. To do this modification properly, the barrel must be removed. 
Jerry
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by waid1406 2/25/2014, 6:35 pm

Thanks for the fast reply, as Im living in sweden it's not an option to send the gun to US based gunsmith.

The barrel is 0.356 and 1/12 twist so the throat should be 0.358? as Im using 0.357 H&N copperplated 125gr wadcutters.

waid1406

Back to top Go down

Post by waid1406 3/26/2014, 6:27 am

One more question, I have located a good supplier and they have reamer designs ready, but what is the prefered
diameter on the cut if you are using 0.357 bullets?

waid1406

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down