Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone use Acc U Rail on their 1911

+4
james r chapman
Sc0
BE Mike
thessler
8 posters

Go down

Does anyone use Acc U Rail on their 1911 Empty Does anyone use Acc U Rail on their 1911

Post by thessler 7/20/2019, 6:13 am

Hi
 I have an old 1911 with a reasonably loose slide.
I have read quit a bit about squeezing the slide and peening this and that to tighten up the slide.
This guy offers Acc U Rail which is a modification to the gun, which seems to me to be a more permanent fix.
I realise tightening the slide will not make the gun significantly more accurate,  but I'm a big believer  in good equipment . Then the rest is on me.
Thanks,  Tom

thessler

Back to top Go down

Does anyone use Acc U Rail on their 1911 Empty Re: Does anyone use Acc U Rail on their 1911

Post by BE Mike 7/20/2019, 7:52 am

I have an old Colt ball gun that was used when I bought it. I sent it in to Alex Hamilton to have the slide tightened. Alex said that he could do it, but it wouldn't remain tight for long. He suggested that either the rails be welded up and recut or have Acc U Rails installed. I went with Acc U Rails. I haven't regretted it for a minute. It is like the slide is on ball bearings, yet locks up like a bank vault.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Does anyone use Acc U Rail on their 1911 Empty Re: Does anyone use Acc U Rail on their 1911

Post by Sc0 7/20/2019, 8:20 am

If the barrel is hard fit, it takes the slack out between slide and frame and turns it into a bank vault ready for the next trigger squeeze...  Could be a less costly option...

Sc0

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 7/20/2019, 9:00 am

Sc0 wrote:If the barrel is hard fit, it takes the slack out between slide and frame and turns it into a bank vault ready for the next trigger squeeze...  Could be a less costly option...
It helps, but, it's not the full solution to a worn slide/frame fit.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 7/20/2019, 9:38 am

I have several 1911s which were railed by Doug Jones. All .38 Supers. I don't understand why BE/PP has not accepted the process more than they have. Building from scratch with new slide and frame, maybe not. But rebuilding, or building with used parts, I wouldn't hesitate in the least to using Acc U Rails. Like anything else, the person doing them must know what they are doing. Doug Jones is one of them. I am sure there are others.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 7/20/2019, 12:21 pm

I have an old AMT Hardballer stainless steel that is my service pistol.  It was never designed to be a match gun and the target reflected that.  I had Accurails installed and it made a huge difference, even after I put in a Kart barrel.  Being stainless, accurails were the only option to tighten the slide.  It almost never jams, and when it does it's the fault of the ammo or limp wristing.  As mentioned above, it slides effortlessly and lock up is rock solid.  I made distinguished with that gun.  Well worth the investment.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 7/20/2019, 1:20 pm

If an all ready built 1911 (barrel and bushing fitted) has an AccURail installed later, does the barrel and bushing need to be refitted?
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 7/20/2019, 2:16 pm

Mike38 wrote:If an all ready built 1911 (barrel and bushing fitted) has an AccURail installed later, does the barrel and bushing need to be refitted?

I would think maybe the slide stop, but honestly beyond my pay grade to answer. I would suggest contacting Doug Jones 248-852-6490 or accurail@yahoo.com He's in Rochester Hills, MI
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by David R 7/20/2019, 2:25 pm

I have been looking into it. I bought a "Bullseye" kiimber at a gun store. It had the Wegand frame scope mount. They could not take it apart at the gun store. It had a slide cocker in place of the rear sight and it had to be removed to get the slide off.

I bought it. Stopped at a range on the way home. 8" @ 50 yards. I took it apart. Barrel moved fore and aft .009" when locked up . I installed a Kart EZ fit. Now it shoots 2" @ 50 yards with cast bullets. I am sending it to have the accurails installed. from what I have read, the slide ends up lower on the frame and the barrel feet have to be re cut. They even make special shorter links so every thing works. I am sure the barrel bushing would not need any changes. I will post in this forum when it is done.

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 7/20/2019, 8:12 pm

Mike38 wrote:If an all ready built 1911 (barrel and bushing fitted) has an AccURail installed later, does the barrel and bushing need to be refitted?

In short, no.  I sent the complete gun to Doug Jones and he did a great job for me.  He even welded up an area on the frame that needed some extra material where the barrel lower lugs are inserted and turned down my .203" slide stop I installed in a desperate attempt to improve lockup.  He didn't touch the barrel or bushing.  I can't say enough good things about his work.  Just send him your gun and he'll do the rest.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down