Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dillon Square Deal and Clays powder

+2
james r chapman
John McCormick
6 posters

Go down

Dillon Square Deal and Clays powder Empty Dillon Square Deal and Clays powder

Post by John McCormick 8/9/2019, 9:35 pm

I've been reading some of the archived posts re Clays powder and its alleged propensity for erratic metering. Does anyone have any experience with Clays and the Dillon Square Deal, good or bad? I reload 45 ACP and 38 Spl with my SD and I'd like to give Clays a try.

John McCormick

Back to top Go down

Dillon Square Deal and Clays powder Empty Re: Dillon Square Deal and Clays powder

Post by james r chapman 8/9/2019, 9:45 pm

I've use Alliants comparable ClayDot powder. in 45 acp I had no issues using a lee disc measure. anywhere from 3.4-4.4 grains.

in .38 special I had erratic metering, 1 in 10 would be a light load.

all in all, a great powder for .45!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Dillon Square Deal and Clays powder Empty Re: Dillon Square Deal and Clays powder

Post by James Hensler 8/10/2019, 1:12 pm

Do yourself a favor and try N310 for that 45!
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 8/10/2019, 2:40 pm

Clays is one of the least dense powders on the market.  I like it for light loads like the .38 Special because it fills the case more.  BUT because it is "fluffy" it doesn't meter as well as other powders.  That being said if you can watch the case after a powder drop you can almost see a 0.1gr difference in a 38 special case and remove the round.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 8/11/2019, 8:20 pm

I use Clays for my long line load. 3.9 charge under a 200 gr SWC which is the load the Ed Maski recommend years ago. I use a Dillon 650 which I think uses the same power measure as the square deal and I find it meters fine.  i just averaged 5 throws on the press and the result was 3.87 which seems pretty consistent to me.  I've been very happy with that load so I think you might like it sa well.

Good luck.
John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by John McCormick 8/11/2019, 11:22 pm

Thanks to all. I don't reload for the 12 gauge any more, but the Clays was a bargain so I'll give it a try.

John McCormick

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B 8/12/2019, 8:52 pm

Clays meters horribly but is extremely accurate if you weigh every charge, great for long line loads.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down