(Found and purchased) WTB Walther PPK

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

(Found and purchased)   WTB Walther PPK Empty (Found and purchased) WTB Walther PPK

Post by mikemyers on Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:02 pm

Anyone here have a Walther PPK they don't use any more?  I don't know that much about them, but a Federal Officer at my range suggested it would be an excellent choice as a "carry guy" should I ever want to carry.

Anyway, if you have one, and want to sell it, please send me a PM or an email.

Last edited by mikemyers on Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

(Found and purchased)   WTB Walther PPK Empty Re: (Found and purchased) WTB Walther PPK

Post by dronning on Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:34 pm

Mike based on some of your pictures it appears you have bigger hands and longer fingers.  A PPK is a small firearm and is very easy to conceal, but slide bite is common when your hands are large, it might not be the best fit.  It is on my buy list, but I would never carry one.

See if you can find one you can handle or better yet shoot before you buy one.
- Dave

Slide bite is hurts but usually is followed by a failure to feed, NOT something you want with a carry gun IF you ever needed it.

Last edited by dronning on Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

(Found and purchased)   WTB Walther PPK Empty Re: (Found and purchased) WTB Walther PPK

Post by LenV on Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:10 pm

One other thing. If you place a cardboard box over the pistol and pull the trigger you "might" be able to hit the box. Maybe. If you get lucky. Just saying...
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing on Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:00 pm

They have very adequate accuracy. Recoil is quite sharp, they aren’t fun to shoot a lot of rounds through.
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:03 pm

Gee.....       So much for that idea.   Thanks!  
I guess nobody needs to respond.

I went to an "Active Shooter Discussion, and the advice was to "Run, Hide, or Fight".  I thought the PPK might add another option, but maybe I'd just make holes in the ceiling or something.  I do have a S&W Model 19 with a 2 1/2" barrel, but it's not THAT small.   I temporarily put on larger grips to test it at the range....  Maybe I should say I added the 19 to the grips.  I even have rubber grips with a laser built in, from ten years ago or so.  Oh well.    Thanks for the advice!

(Found and purchased)   WTB Walther PPK Img_8710
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV on Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:18 pm

When you decide to look at concealable again then take a peak at the M&P Shield. Ergonomic grips that will even fit my hand and accurate enough to keep them all in the black at 25yds. Mine is in 40cal but I use 135gr Nosler JHP rds for a milder recoil. Yes, I know you don't need a 25yd accurate pistol for CC but it works good at 5 yds also. Very Happy
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:23 pm

Plastic gun?   Me??

My other consideration was this:
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-sw1911-pro-series

.......whatever I get, I'll be trying it at 25.  I tried the Model 19, but the grips are so tiny.     :-)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV on Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:30 pm

Plastic is lighter. That doesn't mean I disagree with your other choice. I carried a model 39 for years. And this one for about 5.

(Found and purchased)   WTB Walther PPK Dscf0826
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:52 pm

By now, I've gotten used to the proportions.
Probably over-kill, no pun intended.
One of my local gun stores tells me I could have it in just a few days.
(Found and purchased)   WTB Walther PPK 178020_01_lg_0_0
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:31 pm

LenV wrote:.........I carried a model 39 for years. And this one for about 5.......
Curious, with that baby 1911, if you had it, how would you carry it?
I know so little about these things - but am doing a lot of reading.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley on Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:16 pm

About the smallest 380 out there. Expensive and you have to hunt for them but...

(Found and purchased)   WTB Walther PPK 71ee7110
Wobbley
Wobbley

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:26 pm

Dave, yikes!!!!!    They're older than me!
https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=Colt%20380%20hammerless
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning on Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:55 pm

LenV wrote:One other thing. If you place a cardboard box over the pistol and pull the trigger you "might" be able to hit the box. Maybe. If you get lucky. Just saying...
That may explain it.  The only one I've ever seen in action was at my indoor range.  The guy was shooting at 7yd and maybe put 2 out of 20 shots on in the kill zone before he left.  I just figured it was him, maybe not!
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H on Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:06 am

For this purpose, don't over look the Sigs.  239, 225, 228.  My 228 is in the black at 25yds.  Always. 
For deeper hiding I have no objection to Ruger LCP2 or LC380 or LC9
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV on Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:23 am

mikemyers wrote:
LenV wrote:.........I carried a model 39 for years. And this one for about 5.......
Curious, with that baby 1911, if you had it, how would you carry it?
I know so little about these things - but am doing a lot of reading.
Mike, I weigh 340lbs. I can carry an N frame concealed. But, to answer your question. I have always carried the 1911 size pistols in an outside the pants holster either on my right side or behind the back above the right pocket. This is easy to do with my normal jacket or loose sweatshirt. Lately in my informal or more leisurely life style (sweatpants and T's) I find it easier to carry in my pocket. Easier, but harder to conceal. If your really looking. 

(Found and purchased)   WTB Walther PPK 20190910
(Found and purchased)   WTB Walther PPK 20190911
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning on Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:16 am

After taking a Rob Pincus self defense class I decided to convert my carry piece from a 1911 to a striker fired fire arm.  I picked the Springfield XDm in 9MM** over all others including the Glock.  Rob was a 1911 guy but after years of teaching he saw that the 1911 based firearm had by far the highest % of either operator or mechanical failures.  That's when he switched to Glock.
- Dave
I have the 3.8" in 9MM, the 4.5" in both 9MM & 45ACP and the Competition 5.25 in both 9MM & 45ACP.
The 3.8 & 4.5" 9MM are my main carry guns. 
https://www.springfield-armory.com/xdm-series
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle on Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:46 am

I like the PPK but it is just very heavy.  Try the Ruger LCP II and the Glock 42 if you must go 380. Maybe the 380 S&W Shield EZ.   The 9mm LC9S, Glock 43. S&W Shield, and SIG 365 are much better choices IMHO..

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:33 am

More thoughts to consider.  First, I was thinking that if I bought a new gun, it would be reliable, but I wasn't considering it might need to be broken in with several hundred rounds.  Second, I don't know that much about many guns, other than revolvers and 1911's.  That would leave me feeling comfortable with the small 1911, extremely comfortable with the Model 19, and "lost" with one of the newer plastic guns, or even the PPK.  If one of them went "click" instead of "bang", or jammed, I would be stuck.  With the 1911 and revolver, things are simpler (29) and things I've already dealt with (1911).

Dave, since I know nothing about "striker fired" guns, I'm curious why you would change a 1911 that way.  Also, regarding "the highest % of either operator or mechanical failures", is this referring to the kind of precision 1911 guns people buy nowadays, or the original design intended for military use, that would work in the harshest of conditions.

Len, I'm a small guy, so I couldn't hide anything on my body very well, but when I looked at the holster photos you posted, I thought of the holster that came with my Model 19.  Obviously the original (or the laser) grips would go back on.  The only question then would be whether I load 6 rounds, or keep a cylinder empty.  I think that was recommended, back when the Model 19 was used by the police.......

(The large grips are staying on until after I get a chance to shoot it at the range, and see if it will work as well as I expect it to work.  After that, the original wood grips, or maybe the Lasserlite grips, would go back on, assuming I can remember how to work with the laser......)

(Found and purchased)   WTB Walther PPK Img_0214
(Found and purchased)   WTB Walther PPK Img_1417
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley on Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:17 am

If you are a small guy I’d take a serious look at the S&W Shield line. About the size of a PPK but in 9mm.
Wobbley
Wobbley

Back to top Go down

Post by lakesidemn on Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:50 am

I have a PPKS (safety version), S&W 642 (revolver), and Ruger LC9. I've shot 3" groups at 30', so each gun can do it. Face it though, if this were a real life situation, the difference between a 2" and a 5" gun would hardly matter. 

The revolver is very light, more powerful (.38sp) but longer trigger pull of course. The PPKS is the heaviest, but also very reliable (James Bond of course). The LC9 is the most inconspicuous. I mention all these, because even though I like them all, my next carry gun will be a Sig P365. If anyone would like to purchase any of my current stash, I'll give you a great deal.
lakesidemn
lakesidemn

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman on Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:12 pm

LC9S.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:21 pm

lakesidemn wrote:I have a PPKS (safety version), S&W 642 (revolver), and Ruger LC9. I've shot 3" groups at 30', so each gun can do it. Face it though, if this were a real life situation, the difference between a 2" and a 5" gun would hardly matter. 

The revolver is very light, more powerful (.38sp) but longer trigger pull of course. The PPKS is the heaviest, but also very reliable (James Bond of course). The LC9 is the most inconspicuous. I mention all these, because even though I like them all, my next carry gun will be a Sig P365. If anyone would like to purchase any of my current stash, I'll give you a great deal.
Email sent.

-Mike
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Bangarang on Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:05 pm

Hello Mike,
It sounds like you have put a lot of thought in this.  I have quite a bit of experience in carrying and using of most of the firearms discussed here.  Here are my thoughts:  
Stick with what you are most comfortable for now.  I'll always have at least one S&W M-19/66 in my stable, or a 686, but it will be a 3"-4" barrel for the longer sight radius.  BTW my 66 is my "go to pistol" in the dead of night, however, I carry semi-autos now. 
My two PPKs were surprisingly accurate off rests, but also hard to shoot quickly offhand because the tiny sights and short sight radius.
If you decide to try striker-fired, my number one recommendation for carry would be a SIG P365 XL (9mm). Try the multiple mag lengths available, to obtain the grip length that feels best for you.  You owe it to yourself to at least check this one out.  Also better stopping power than the .380 ACP.
Good luck in your quest!

Bangarang

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape on Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:43 pm

My 5 cents to this discussion.  One parameter is omitted here is trigger reset.  Walther is know for veeeery long trigger reset, an PPK is no difference here.  With such in mind Sig P365 is a solid advice, and Glock 43 (or 26) would probably takes top spot on my list.  With practice, Mike, you will be able to do double and even triple tapping in same amount of time as releasing single shot from PPK.  Others might have different opinion, and I'm fine with that.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp on Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:52 pm

During a recent visit to an indoor range that I have a membership at the friendly folks behind the counter announced that they had just added a Sig P365 to their rental collection and would I like to try shooting it? Since I had free time, I went back out on the indoor 25 yard range with a box of Magtech 115gr determined to make a few decent B-8 targets for them at 25 yards. I was surprised how easy it was to keep shots in the eight ring or better with the extended 12 round magazine which made for a good grip. The sights have a good shape and a good light gap on either side and the recoil was not a factor. (my shooting glasses have corrective lenses for focusing on the front sight) A center hold worked well but my group was left by about two inches, which could be due to ammo. I shot using a two hand hold and the bayonet/kickstand groove started to wear on my left thumb a bit during recoil, and I would sometimes not have a lock-back after last round due to my right thumb slipping over to the slide stop. I also did a few five round strings at 25 yards and all grouped well. A very impressive pistol.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum