(Found and purchased) WTB Walther PPK

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

(Found and purchased)   WTB Walther PPK - Page 2 Empty (Found and purchased) WTB Walther PPK

Post by mikemyers on Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:02 pm

First topic message reminder :

Anyone here have a Walther PPK they don't use any more?  I don't know that much about them, but a Federal Officer at my range suggested it would be an excellent choice as a "carry guy" should I ever want to carry.

Anyway, if you have one, and want to sell it, please send me a PM or an email.

Last edited by mikemyers on Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

(Found and purchased)   WTB Walther PPK - Page 2 Empty Re: (Found and purchased) WTB Walther PPK

Post by mikemyers on Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:53 pm

There's this number one rule of gunfights, have a gun.

Of all these choices, which would I most likely, feel most comfortable, when just having it in my pocket.

It's like cameras - I've got a Nikon D750 that helps me capture spectacular photos, and I've got a Fuji X100f because it's the perfect camera for candid photos, and I've got a Canon G7X Pro Mk II because of the small size, but which camera do I find myself using most of the time?     ........my iPhone XS.  Why?  I'm most likely to have it with me.

I may decide later on that I want something more, but for now the PPK seems to "fit" the best.

........and back to the Active Shooter conference, the Sheriff went over so, so many things that I realized I need to start doing automatically (like being aware of all the exits), but should one of those incidents happen around me, my first choice would be just as he suggested - Run, and if that's not an option Hide, and if that's not possible, his last option was Fight.

Curious, does anyone in this discussion not have a fire extinguisher handy, "just in case"?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

(Found and purchased)   WTB Walther PPK - Page 2 Empty Re: (Found and purchased) WTB Walther PPK

Post by mikemyers on Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:02 pm

Regarding the previous two responses, the SIG might indeed be a superior choice in so many ways, but never having "carried" before, I expect it would be left at home most of the time, just as my Model 19 is now.  The PPK could go in my pocket, and blend in to the rest of my body, like my phone or wallet does.  

I just got to capture a beautiful photo of a spectacular sunset enhanced by Hurricane Dorian, and knowing what I wanted, I got out my Nikon D750 with a 24mm lens.  Everything worked as intended.  When I don't have access to it or my other cameras though, I make do with the iPhone, because I have it with me.   

If I get a chance, I'd like to try out other guns, but lately 98% of my shooting and dry firing is being done with my Nelson kit.  The more I use it, and the more things I read here in the forum, the more comfortable I am at using it.  Even with ALL of that, if it was pitch black, no lights at all, and I needed to reload, I'd be better off with my revolver.  Less to think about.........
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:23 pm

I suppose one can never have too many guns - wasn't it LenV who said that?
Maybe next year I'll look into this:

(Found and purchased)   WTB Walther PPK - Page 2 85068d1567472003-walther-ppk-ppk-s-82d48e73-1900-4b30-a47d-99d9b5e6062b
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits on Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:35 pm

If you want, small, light weight, reliable, but don't want a striker platform, then a S&W Bodyguard .380 with Crimson Trace Laser grips is hard to beat. I like the CTC laser grips better than the integral laser because they are independent of the gun. IOW, if the laser goes bad, I send the grips to CTC. If the laser on the integral unit goes bad, you have to send the entire gun in. The Body guard is a DAO, so you get another opportunity to fire a clicker without having to eject and chamber a second round. It has a long trigger stroke, IMO that makes it safer too. Mine has the external safety. You can get it with or without it. If you buy it with it, you can elect to not use it. Personally, I like it.

Is it ideal, no? Is it powerful, no? But unlike the other more powerful, more accurate, easier to shoot guns with higher capacity that I own, this one is with me, almost always.

MJ
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:57 pm

I'm not quite sure what to make of it, but the last few minutes of this video demonstrate a concern about the SIG:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=dDAMXTRB-Zw
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV on Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:14 pm

Since this became a general discussion after about the second post and since were all laid back here. I have a suggestion that would probably get poo pooed by any serious group of hard core carry gurus. A couple of givens. The pistol has to go bang every time you pull the trigger. The pistol should be convenient to carry. (they are no good left at home). Some accuracy would be nice. More then a couple rounds would be nice. (Since most shots are misses even by pros) The single most important thing would be to have it with you.
  To all those considerations I think the M&P 22 Compact is the perfect answer. It is almost weightless, holds 11 rounds and has adjustable sights that actually work. You will note that I never said anything about "stopping power" I didn't want to go into that argument. I will say they did a study in Oregon that found that more deer were killed with a 22LR then all the CF calibers. Rolling Eyes

(Found and purchased)   WTB Walther PPK - Page 2 Dscf0827
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits on Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:50 am

LenV wrote:Since this became a general discussion after about the second post and since were all laid back here. I have a suggestion that would probably get poo pooed by any serious group of hard core carry gurus. A couple of givens. The pistol has to go bang every time you pull the trigger. The pistol should be convenient to carry. (they are no good left at home). Some accuracy would be nice. More then a couple rounds would be nice. (Since most shots are misses even by pros) The single most important thing would be to have it with you.
  To all those considerations I think the M&P 22 Compact is the perfect answer. It is almost weightless, holds 11 rounds and has adjustable sights that actually work. You will note that I never said anything about "stopping power" I didn't want to go into that argument. I will say they did a study in Oregon that found that more deer were killed with a 22LR then all the CF calibers. Rolling Eyes

(Found and purchased)   WTB Walther PPK - Page 2 Dscf0827

All valid arguments. My unauthorized "back-up" gun on the PD was an old AutoNine from Covina, CA .22LR pistol. It worked best with HiSpeed ammo. I figured if I ever needed it, I would likely be rolling around on the ground, and if I could get to it, timely, a shot or several placed, not aimed would at least get me to phase two of the fight. The authorized back up, then was a Model 60. My duty gun was a Model 10, later a Model 64. 12 Xtra rounds on belt loops.

MJ
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G on Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:22 pm

Mike, if you are looking for a small, easy to carry pistol in .380 ACP, so far you have received good suggestions. Since you started with a Walther PPK, and you like the 1911 platform, I am recommending that you take a look at the Sig P238. I am giving you two links - the first comparing the size of the two pistols and the second showing the Sig's capabilities and function.
My everyday carry pistol is Sig P938 - the same as P238 but in 9mm. The pistol is very easy to carry, it has the same manual of arms as a 1911 and I can keep all shots in the black from 25 yards shooting rapid fire cadence.

Video 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sr_vitLIYY

Video 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W4AVpxvGgg

Enjoy
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:32 pm

lakesidemn wrote:I have a PPKS (safety version), S&W 642 (revolver), and Ruger LC9. I've shot 3" groups at 30', so each gun can do it. Face it though, if this were a real life situation, the difference between a 2" and a 5" gun would hardly matter. 

The revolver is very light, more powerful (.38sp) but longer trigger pull of course. The PPKS is the heaviest, but also very reliable (James Bond of course). The LC9 is the most inconspicuous. I mention all these, because even though I like them all, my next carry gun will be a Sig P365. If anyone would like to purchase any of my current stash, I'll give you a great deal.

Thanks to all of you for all the help, suggestions, and so on.  I've purchased the PPK /S from 'lakesidemn', meaning he still has the other guns for sale as far as I know.  Lots of great information in this thread, lots of excellent choices, and a LOT to think about in the future.  I'll continue to consider all the alternatives suggested here, but anything else will be in addition to the PPK, not instead of.   :-)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV on Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:34 pm

Mike, have fun with this.

http://whichgun.com/pistols
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:15 pm

Len, that list has 811 guns.......     17 pages of up to 50 guns.  I can't count that high!   :-)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:34 pm

Oleg G wrote:..........My everyday carry pistol is Sig P938 - the same as P238 but in 9mm. The pistol is very easy to carry, it has the same manual of arms as a 1911 and I can keep all shots in the black from 25 yards shooting rapid fire cadence.......
I watched the videos - interesting.  Then I checked out your gun -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbNcXdovTBQ  -  I don't think I could shoot it as well as you do, 25 yards, rapid fire....   This fellow didn't even show his target.  

This discussion is reminding me of how much I like old revolvers, Colt, S&W, etc., which were as nice to look at as to shoot.  When/if I ever get interested in a small 1911, I'll definitely consider your Sig.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV on Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:49 pm

That's my wish list. Use the search function Mike and narrow it down to a caliber or action you like. Or Manufacture.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:25 pm

LenV wrote:That's my wish list. Use the search function Mike and narrow it down to a caliber or action you like. Or Manufacture.
Got it, searched for Browning, then 9mm, and narrowed it down to three guns.
I thought the DA/SA would be cool, and even found one three or four weeks ago, but someone else bought it while I was trying to decide how silly it would be for me to buy one.    There was a long article about it in one of the gun magazines.  They called it "ahead of its time".  I actually did put it on my "watch list".......
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike M. on Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:12 pm

Frankly, I like the PP-series guns.  They're accurate (the Dirty Little Secret is that the PP in .22LR is the grandfather of the Hammerli 208).  Excellent single-action triggers.  They do suffer from slide bite, especially in .380.  The .32 ACP PPKs are much better mannered, the .22 LR version is a delight.

Would it be my first choice today?  No.  The Seecamp is truly drop-in-the-front-pocket small.  And the 9mm mini-guns hit harder.  But it's a good choice.

Mike M.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:04 pm

lakesidemn wrote:I have a PPKS (safety version)....... I've shot 3" groups at 30', so each gun can do it...........The PPKS is the heaviest, but also very reliable (James Bond of course)..........If anyone would like to purchase any of my current stash, I'll give you a great deal.
This is the gun I bought, and it was a pleasure dealing with 'lakesidemn'.  Everything went perfectly, and he even found an extra magazine that he had.  Gun arrived as expected, was just as nice as I hoped it might be.  I picked it up Monday,  shot a few rounds with it Tuesday, and again this morning.

For practice ammo at my range, I got a box of 50 Fiocchi 95 grain FMJ - 960 FPS.  I tried it one handed, but didn't like the recoil.  Two handed the recoil was sharp, but manageable.  I'd like to buy some more ammo for it, something appropriate for concealed carry, when/if I do that, and something more appropriate for target shooting.

Today I set up a target at 15 yards.  I'm surprised at the groups I got this morning - I had no idea of how accurate the gun might be.  Tuesday I thought it shot "high", but then when I shot at a B-8 target today using a sub-6 o'clock hold, the height was perfect.  The group on the second target closed up a little on what I got with my first target.  Maybe it will improve more over time.  Both groups are off to the right, which led me to finding that the rear sight was a little too far to the right in the dovetail.  I ordered a sight tool to correct that, so in effect, it will have "adjustable sights", sort of......

For better or worse:
(Found and purchased)   WTB Walther PPK - Page 2 Img_8511

Maybe the following will help others with a PPK or PPK/S - I took a photo of the back of the gun, and the photo clearly shows that the rear sight sticks out more on the right side of the frame than the left side.  The guide book says to use a brass punch and a hammer, but I ordered this instead:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ38YieGcxU

(Found and purchased)   WTB Walther PPK - Page 2 Img_1912

(Found and purchased)   WTB Walther PPK - Page 2 Img_8810

Last edited by mikemyers on Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers on Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:12 pm

dronning wrote:........A PPK is a small firearm and is very easy to conceal, but slide bite is common when your hands are large, it might not be the best fit.......
Dave, they fixed this in the newer models.  The frame now keeps your hand out of harm's way.
You can see this in the above response.  
The one I bought is manufactured by S&W, but I think the models being sold today come from Walther.
PPK/S is supposedly now in production, and PPK will supposedly be available next year.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum