Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raising the gun to shoot

+7
Steve B
DA/SA
adminbot1911
Sa-tevp
dronning
james r chapman
mikemyers
11 posters

Go down

Raising the gun to shoot Empty Raising the gun to shoot

Post by mikemyers Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:50 pm

Quick question.  I got into the habit of raising the gun above a target, getting the dot centered in the sight, and lowering the aligned gun onto the target.  A friend of mine gave me his class notes from a Zins clinic, with this note: "Raise the gun to 11 o’clock, not 12 o’clock because that is where the gun recoils. 

My understanding from this is that you first raise your gun to the same position it goes after taking a shot, and from there, move it onto the bull.  That makes a fluid motion that you do the same for all your shots, including the first.

I have been doing it my way because it allows me to first get the dot centered in the sight, then lower the gun/sight/dot so the dot is over the bull.  Doing both functions at once was difficult for me centering the dot in the sight, while also centering the dot/sight over the target wasn't comfortable.  I guess it would be more efficient to raise the gun to where it naturally goes after shooting, and while doing this find the dot....

(I think that eventually, "muscle memory" will do all of this automatically, eventually, as your subconscious moves the appropriate body parts.)

For me, I'm doing better at positioning the gun so the dot is right where it belongs.  Maybe in 10,000 more shots it will all happen automatically.  Fortunately, this is something I can, and do, practice in dry-fire.

...........and I don't understand why Brian said to raise the gun too 11:00 anyway. Sounds too high, but what do I know.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Raising the gun to shoot Empty Re: Raising the gun to shoot

Post by james r chapman Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:04 pm

Sometimes it pays to just watch the High Masters shoot.

Some, bring the gun to the top of the frame, lower to below the target, breath then rise to center and the gun goes of.

as even Brian says, it's not the same for everyone.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:48 pm

I am looking for the source (I save everything) there is a muscular advantage to lowering the pistol into the bull verses raising to it.  I believe it had to do with fine motor/muscle control.  It probably doesn't matter either way if you are a young AMU shooter.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:45 am

dronning wrote:I am looking for the source (I save everything) there is a muscular advantage to lowering the pistol into the bull verses raising to it.  I believe it had to do with fine motor/muscle control.  It probably doesn't matter either way if you are a young AMU shooter.
- Dave

The subject is covered in the MEC book Pistol Shooting:The Olympic Disciplines but I don't know where the concept came from. It was recommended for air pistol and free pistol. Probably the idea come from coaches on either side of the Iron Curtain.

Raising the gun to shoot 411_LG

Edit - The rationale was that raising to the aiming area led to more horizontal movement while aiming. Lowering had less muscles being used.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:09 am

mikemyers wrote:Quick question.  I got into the habit of raising the gun above a target, getting the dot centered in the sight, and lowering the aligned gun onto the target.  A friend of mine gave me his class notes from a Zins clinic, with this note: "Raise the gun to 11 o’clock, not 12 o’clock because that is where the gun recoils. 

My understanding from this is that you first raise your gun to the same position it goes after taking a shot, and from there, move it onto the bull.  That makes a fluid motion that you do the same for all your shots, including the first.

I have been doing it my way because it allows me to first get the dot centered in the sight, then lower the gun/sight/dot so the dot is over the bull.  Doing both functions at once was difficult for me centering the dot in the sight, while also centering the dot/sight over the target wasn't comfortable.  I guess it would be more efficient to raise the gun to where it naturally goes after shooting, and while doing this find the dot....

(I think that eventually, "muscle memory" will do all of this automatically, eventually, as your subconscious moves the appropriate body parts.)

For me, I'm doing better at positioning the gun so the dot is right where it belongs.  Maybe in 10,000 more shots it will all happen automatically.  Fortunately, this is something I can, and do, practice in dry-fire.

...........and I don't understand why Brian said to raise the gun too 11:00 anyway. Sounds too high, but what do I know.

I just realized that "raise the gun to 11 o'clock" could be taken two different ways.  Doesn't your 1911 twist up and to the left during recoil?  That's what he trying to simulate.  You're not pointing the gun 30 degrees from vertical.

I evolved from bringing straight up to bringing straight down into the bull over time.  Bringing down at 11 o'clock... interesting idea.  I'll try it but I can't promise I'll like it.
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:06 am

11 would seem to block the bull for RH shooters.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:07 am

james r chapman wrote:11 would seem to block the bull for RH shooters.
Doesn't 12 also?
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:09 am

Yes, a reason for raising
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:00 pm

james r chapman wrote:11 would seem to block the bull for RH shooters.
That brings us full circle.

Maybe I'm wrong about trying to understand Brian.  I was under the impression that he wants to start with the gun in the position it naturally goes to from recoil, then lower it and move to the right to get to the Bull.  Maybe there's a better way to describe why to do this?

At any rate, while raising it to the 11 position would block the bull for RH shooters, that's what recoil causes every time they take following shots.   I think that's what Brian means by starting that point at 11 o'clock.  For four of our shots, it's what we already have to do (timed and rapid), and maybe Brian is just trying to standardize this so it's true for all shots?

As for me, I know I've been raising the gun to a 12 o'clock position, while getting the dot centered, then lowering onto the target.  Nobody told or taught me to do that, it just felt natural.  I guess it's one more bad habit to break.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:14 pm

I don’t know, seems lowering you lose target reference, raising your target is alway in reference
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:19 pm

ONLY IF I UNDERSTAND BRIAN CORRECTLY  ---->    What is more important, target reference on the first shot, or doing this only one way for all shots?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:31 pm

Shouldn't make any difference with a dot scope (tube type) unless you are starting pointing at the sky. I start at the upper edge of the repair center which leaves the aiming area still in the scope view..

Irons would obscure the target from above.

I lower with a dot and raise with irons for slow fire. Sight alignment first and then raise slightly into the aiming area.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:53 pm

DA/SA wrote:Shouldn't make any difference with a dot scope (tube type) unless you are starting pointing at the sky. I start at the upper edge of the repair center which leaves the aiming area still in the scope view..

Irons would obscure the target from above.

I lower with a dot and raise with irons for slow fire. Sight alignment first and then raise slightly into the aiming area.
that sounds promising.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:37 pm

There's more to the story than what your friend wrote down from the clinic.
The method the marines taught and that Brian teaches is not to lower the gun to the target, by relaxing muscles.  Get your dot centered in the tube before picking the gun up.  Your hand, wrist, elbow and arm should be very firm if not locked, the shoulder should be the only muscle group moving.  As you're raising the pistol take a deep breath.  Once the dot is in the 11 o'clock position above the black center, and you've now firmed up the shoulder muscle with the rest of the arm, exhale slowly.  The gun will move into the center of the target.  There are many more details on what happens as the dot comes into the center... This is how Brian teaches.
I usually average mid 90s in slow fire, when I'm following the above process well...

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:05 pm

Steve B wrote:There's more to the story than what your friend wrote down from the clinic.
The method the marines taught and that Brian teaches is not to lower the gun to the target, by relaxing muscles.  Get your dot centered in the tube before picking the gun up.  Your hand, wrist, elbow and arm should be very firm if not locked, the shoulder should be the only muscle group moving.  As you're raising the pistol take a deep breath.  Once the dot is in the 11 o'clock position above the black center, and you've now firmed up the shoulder muscle with the rest of the arm, exhale slowly.  The gun will move into the center of the target.  There are many more details on what happens as the dot comes into the center... This is how Brian teaches.
I usually average mid 90s in slow fire, when I'm following the above process well...
+1 Exactly how Brian taught our group.  I use a block on the bench so I can get the alignment.  When the command "ready on the right" is given I lift the gun off the bench. On "ready on the left" I inhale and raise the gun to the 11 o'clock position and pause.  I begin to exhale and lower on "ready on the firing line" and here is where I also start the trigger moving.  The target turns the dot moves into the center and the shot breaks.

I use the same method on each slow fire shot, I go through the commands in my head.  Also in slow fire if the guns returns perfectly I will take another shot.
- Dave

Last edited by dronning on Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:49 pm

I have always lowered into the target from above.  This is how I did it when shooting international smallbore rifle in college.  The next time out for practice I am going to try the "Zins" method.  If it works for him it sure can't hurt my scores. LOL

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:20 am

Allen Barnett wrote:I have always lowered into the target from above.  This is how I did it when shooting international smallbore rifle in college.  The next time out for practice I am going to try the "Zins" method.  If it works for him it sure can't hurt my scores. LOL
Lowering is really the only way to physically shoot offhand if the buttstock is seated as it should be for precision rifle (not action, totally different mechanics).  You can twist into your target too, but lowering comes first.
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:16 am

adminbot1911 wrote:
Allen Barnett wrote:I have always lowered into the target from above.  This is how I did it when shooting international smallbore rifle in college.  The next time out for practice I am going to try the "Zins" method.  If it works for him it sure can't hurt my scores. LOL
Lowering is really the only way to physically shoot offhand if the buttstock is seated as it should be for precision rifle (not action, totally different mechanics).  You can twist into your target too, but lowering comes first.

In rifle shooting with the “back bend and body twist” position, you cannot get the required bend without lowering the rifle to the aimpoint.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:58 pm

Wobbley wrote:
adminbot1911 wrote:

In rifle shooting with the “back bend and body twist” position, you cannot get the required bend without lowering the rifle to the aimpoint.  

Exactly!

One question though.  Does one wobble before lowering, after lowering, or the whole time?  Wink
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:01 pm

The movement while lowering masks the wobble. But I also find that the body tends to “unwind” from the twist so there’s a slow drift to the right. Therefore I st the NPA just to the right of the X. Then as the hold drifts into the 10 from the left I break the shot. “Take the FIRST 10 you see.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 45ACP223 Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:36 pm

Wow, the Zin method is interesting.   I'll have to give it a try tomorrow.   I've always been told to start at 12 o'clock and move down on the exhale.   Never too old to learn something new!
45ACP223
45ACP223

Back to top Go down

Post by DJKWImark3 Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:01 pm

Look up Zin's video on How to Improve Pistol Red Dot Aiming. Scroll to the 6:15 or so minute mark and see where he initially holds his laser dot. It is hard to see the white laser dot on the target but its there at 11 :O'clock before he lowers it to the black..
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUejbCKV6wQ

DJKWImark3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down