Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lead bullets allowed? CMP/EIC 45 Auto

+3
Allgoodhits
james r chapman
Scota4570
7 posters

Go down

Lead bullets allowed? CMP/EIC 45 Auto Empty Lead bullets allowed? CMP/EIC 45 Auto

Post by Scota4570 Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:48 pm

I see the rules specify jacketed bullets only.  Rule 4.3.1  I also see lots of pet loads here for cast bullets.  When are they allowed and not allowed?

Scota4570

Back to top Go down

Lead bullets allowed? CMP/EIC 45 Auto Empty Re: Lead bullets allowed? CMP/EIC 45 Auto

Post by james r chapman Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:52 pm

Generally, all CMP EIC matches require jacketed bullets except .22 lr
Generally NRA matches allow the use of jacketed OR lead for all matches.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Lead bullets allowed? CMP/EIC 45 Auto Empty Re: Lead bullets allowed? CMP/EIC 45 Auto

Post by Allgoodhits Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:33 pm

james r chapman wrote:Generally, all CMP EIC matches require jacketed bullets except .22 lr

Except, no Jacketed or plated for NRA DR.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:41 am

Allgoodhits wrote:
james r chapman wrote:Generally, all CMP EIC matches require jacketed bullets except .22 lr

Except, no Jacketed or plated for NRA DR.
That's debatable. The bullet must be 158gr and round nose or SWC. I have not found any 158gr RN or SWC in a jacketed bullet but there might be one. Plated are just shiny lead bullets and I have not found an accurate one.

Len

http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/Pistol/pistol-book.pdf
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:20 am

DR Rule book page 11:
(e) Ammunition - Any safe .38 caliber ammunition using the 158 grain round nose or semi-wadcutter bullet only.

Atlanta Arms makes a 158gr jacketed round nose in .38sp that is legal for DR.

I still prefer their version in 158gr SWC lead for the crisp holes.
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:20 am

The CMP changed the rule for the Service Pistol EIC; plated bullets are now allowed along with jacketed. Crying or Very sad  They still require round nose jacketed ammo for the as-issued matches.

4.3.1 Pistol Ammunition
a) Service Pistol. Service Pistol competitors may use any safe ammunition that is loaded with metal-jacketed or metal-plated bullets. Non-jacketed, wad-cutter or lead bullets may not be used.
b) .22 Rimfire Pistol. Rimfire Pistol competitors may use only 22 cal. rimfire long rifle ammunition with bullets weighing not more than 40 grains.

The NRA made a verbal change for DR ammo at Camp Perry this year.  Jacketed 158 round nose or semi-wadcutters are now allowed.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:36 am

adminbot1911 wrote:DR Rule book page 11:
(e) Ammunition - Any safe .38 caliber ammunition using the 158 grain round nose or semi-wadcutter bullet only.

Atlanta Arms makes a 158gr jacketed round nose in .38sp that is legal for DR.

I still prefer their version in 158gr SWC lead for the crisp holes.

Roger that, I have run that rule up the flag pole to two NRA Referees. More than one, has commented that the requirement for lead was unintentionally omitted. My reply was then it is not "in" the rules. Both of their comments were, it was "in" at any match they were referee. I would think that at a minimum, any variance from the most recent edition of written rules should be specifically spelled out in the Match Bulletin. Good luck with that one too.

In the meantime, just shoot!
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:42 am

cdrt wrote:The CMP changed the rule for the Service Pistol EIC; plated bullets are now allowed along with jacketed. Crying or Very sad  They still require round nose jacketed ammo for the as-issued matches.

4.3.1 Pistol Ammunition
a) Service Pistol. Service Pistol competitors may use any safe ammunition that is loaded with metal-jacketed or metal-plated bullets. Non-jacketed, wad-cutter or lead bullets may not be used.
b) .22 Rimfire Pistol. Rimfire Pistol competitors may use only 22 cal. rimfire long rifle ammunition with bullets weighing not more than 40 grains.

The NRA made a verbal change for DR ammo at Camp Perry this year.  Jacketed 158 round nose or semi-wadcutters are now allowed.

Was that a change in Rules for the National Matches in 2019, or a change across the board for NRA Precision Pistol Rules as they pertain to DR?Not sure but, that "verbal" change was probably due to an omission in the rule book requiring lead bullets for DR. Rather than admit the error, they proclaim a change to the rules. I wonder if referees outside of Camp Perry are aware of this rule change, if it was one? NRA Rules, still clear as mud since 1871!
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Scota4570 Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:11 pm

OK, so for  " CMP Service Pistol EIC, long range pistol"  I must use 230 grain ball only?

Scota4570

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:14 pm

Scota4570 wrote:OK, so for  " CMP Service Pistol EIC, long range pistol"  I must use 230 grain ball only?

4.3.1 Pistol Ammunition

"a) Service Pistol. Service Pistol competitors may use any safe ammunition that is loaded with metal-jacketed or metal-plated bullets. Non-jacketed, wad-cutter or lead bullets may not be used."

185gr JHP, 200gr SWC, 230gr ball are all legal.
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:38 pm

cdrt wrote:

Lead is a metal.  I could dip a high antimony or tin bullet (higher melting point) in to pure liquid lead and be compliant.  Maybe it would also be compliant to roll a lead bullet in antisieze (heavy lead content).

This is what happens when engineers are caught up on their work. Twisted Evil
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:24 pm

Allgoodhits wrote:
cdrt wrote:The CMP changed the rule for the Service Pistol EIC; plated bullets are now allowed along with jacketed. Crying or Very sad  They still require round nose jacketed ammo for the as-issued matches.

4.3.1 Pistol Ammunition

Was that a change in Rules for the National Matches in 2019, or a change across the board for NRA Precision Pistol Rules as they pertain to DR?Not sure but, that "verbal" change was probably due to an omission in the rule book requiring lead bullets for DR. Rather than admit the error, they proclaim a change to the rules. I wonder if referees outside of Camp Perry are aware of this rule change, if it was one? NRA Rules, still clear as mud since 1871!
Supposedly for Perry and all DR matches in the future.  I would hope they include their verbal change in next year's rule book, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by cdrt on Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:27 pm

Scota4570 wrote:OK, so for  " CMP Service Pistol EIC, long range pistol"  I must use 230 grain ball only?
If you read my earlier post, the 230 grain jacketed bullet is required for the as-issued match shot during CMP Games matches, not the Service Pistol EIC.  You can download the Pistol Rule Book and the separate Games Rule Book on the CMP website.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:41 pm

Perry should be interesting in 2020
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down