Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USMC Pistol team workbook

+4
CR10X
Oleg G
DA/SA
CrankyThunder
8 posters

Go down

USMC Pistol team workbook  Empty USMC Pistol team workbook

Post by CrankyThunder Mon 11 Nov - 14:20

Ok, working through the USMC Pistol Team Workbook. 

First task:

Blank Target, 25 yards, two 10 round consecutive strings, both must be less then 5 1/4 inch max diameter. 

Ok, shoot ten rounds, Max diameter less then 5 1/4 inch, repeat, no problem.

Second task:

25 yards, two consecutive 10 round groups in the black of a small training target.

Hmmm......... Definition of Small training target is a lain black circle the same size as a standard 9 ring.  Not sure if that is for a slow fire target or a timed and rapid fire target, Measure my B-16 and it is about 2 1/2 inch diameter.    Ok print out a 2 1/2 inch diameter bull and shoot, and shoot....... and shoot some more.............continue shooting got ten and finally get two consecutive ten round strings in a 2 1/2 inch bull.  somewhat difficult but ok learned some stuff got it on the third try.   

Third task:

Fire at a standard 25 yard target, need to get two consecutive targets with first ten shots in the 10 ring..........

HOLEY MOLEy,  With the B-16 this is about a inch and a half diameter 10 ring...........I have been trying to do this for 40 years!  

Am I reading this correctly?  is the third task to get two consecutive 10 shot groups in the 10 ring of a B-16 25 yard slow fire target? 

Am using the correct target?

Thank you, 
George
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

USMC Pistol team workbook  Empty Re: USMC Pistol team workbook

Post by DA/SA Mon 11 Nov - 14:25

Look in the back of the work book. The targets are there to be printed.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G Mon 11 Nov - 14:33

George,

1. Small training target is the black target, without the scoring rings and the size of the black is the size of the 9 ring on the standard B-8 target. Essentially you are trying to get 10 consecutive shots into the same size circle, as you achieved with the blank target. The point of the exercise is to learn that the bull is a distraction, which causes hesitation, chicken finger and other unpleasant effects. You already know how to shoot a 5-inch 10-shots group from shooting the blank target. Now repeat it with the bull present.

2. The 10 shots into the 10-ring exercise is for the same B-8 target. Remember, the USMC training book presents you with progressively harder exercises. The entire first part, before you get to Slow Fire, is shot using the B-8 targets at 25 yards. Once you master this, you move the target out to 50 yards (or use the smaller B-16 target at 25 yards) and start working on this, more difficult part of your training.

Therefore, you are already ahead of the game, keep up the great work! Smile

Best Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Mon 11 Nov - 14:39

Don't over think this.

Shoot 2 consecutive 10 shot 9 ring size (B6 or B8 actually about 5.5 inch) groups on a blank target at 25 yards.

Then try to shoot 2 consecutive 10 shot 9 ring size groups (B8 about 5.5 inch black) at 25 yards with that black target staring you in the face...... (That's why the first task is for a 5.5 inch group on a blank target, to show you can do it.) 

Then shoot two consecutive 10 shot strings in the 10 ring of a B8 Target (9 and 10 ring black) at 25 yards.   To learn to shoot 10's consistently at 25 yards with all the time you want to take. (This is the place where a lot of other pages in the workbook remain untouched until some serious understanding of the basics occurs.  Smile )

Any other distance must be sized accordingly. 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit Mon 11 Nov - 17:28

This has been an interesting progression for me. After an 18 month layoff, and a total reworking of stance/hold/grip to allow for injury, I did the 'right' thing and started with the course. Again.

1 & 2 came back within a couple of sessions. #3 - 10 shots in the 10 ring - is proving maddeningly elusive. Did it once in a match and maybe 40% of the time in practice - but those damn 9s keep creeping back in.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by DanQ Mon 11 Nov - 17:29

Try this.
Attachments
USMC Pistol team workbook  Attachment
25_yd_trng_tgt.pdf You don't have permission to download attachments.(5 Kb) Downloaded 63 times

DanQ

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder Tue 12 Nov - 0:45

Please read the instructions in the usmc workbook. 

It says to shoot 2 consecutive 10 shot groups in the 10 ring of a standard 25 yard target.  

There is no definition of a standard 25 yard target in the definitions nor is there a standard 25 yard target in the back of the woorkbook. 

What target do I use?  

I assume it is the B 16 target but that is a significant jump in difficulty from exercise number 2.
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Tue 12 Nov - 6:40

CrankyThunder wrote:
Second task:

25 yards, two consecutive 10 round groups in the black of a small training target.

Hmmm......... Definition of Small training target is a lain black circle the same size as a standard 9 ring.  Not sure if that is for a slow fire target or a timed and rapid fire target, Measure my B-16 and it is about 2 1/2 inch diameter.    Ok print out a 2 1/2 inch diameter bull and shoot, and shoot....... and shoot some more.............continue shooting got ten and finally get two consecutive ten round strings in a 2 1/2 inch bull.  somewhat difficult but ok learned some stuff got it on the third try.   

The small training target is the one in the back of the workbook labeled "Small Training Target".

As far as a "standard" 25 yard target, I'd interpret that to be a B-8.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Tue 12 Nov - 7:01

I would also assume 25 yard timed and rapid target, if you had to get 20 straight shots in the 10 ring of a reduced slow fire target practically nobody would get past that step. On the other hand a good shooter should be able to get 20 shots in the 10 ring of a timed & rapid target with some practice.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder Wed 13 Nov - 6:40

Thank you Zane, that is about the best answer but I will send out a couple emails to confirm.  

Getting two consecutive 100 point slow fire targets is a pretty steep challenge especially as the third step in a thick workbook. 

George
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Wed 13 Nov - 8:39

M
I confirmed this with Gunny Zins when I took his seminar.  The success point is 10 tens on the T&R fire target.  The purpose of the exercise is to show a new shooter that it can be done.  I’ve attached a pdf of a spreadsheet I created for planning purposes.  The ones I’m expecting the most difficulty with are the “match simulations”.  I also confirmed with Gunny that you can sub 25 yard B-16 targets for the 50 yard stages.
Attachments
USMC Pistol team workbook  Attachment
Blank 4.pdf You don't have permission to download attachments.(54 Kb) Downloaded 51 times
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder Wed 13 Nov - 9:32

thank you wobbely, that looks like exactly what i am looking for and it will help me out. 

George
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down