Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1911 Trigger pull/sear kits.

+5
Ray Dash
Tim:H11
BE Mike
watercam
diopter
9 posters

Go down

1911 Trigger pull/sear kits. Empty 1911 Trigger pull/sear kits.

Post by diopter 11/29/2019, 7:43 am

Recently picked up a used Norinco 1911A1 copy. Did some stoning work myself on the original parts and it still needs a bit more work to get rid of a slight hesitation and drag on hammer release, when I get some spare time. Don't want to do a rush job.

If I still need something better, which drop-in kits would you recommend and why?
C&S, EGW, or others?

BTW, I'm in Canada, so sending it to a U.S. gunsmith is out of the question.
Even getting U.S. parts can be a problem if I can't find a Canadian dealer who carries them here.
U.S. companies seem to be cowed by BATF.

E.G. from EGW website:
This kit is not 100% drop-in and should be installed or checked over by a competent gunsmith prior to shooting. We are unable to ship this item outside of the United States. If this item is purchased as part of an international order, the item will be removed from the order. The account will be refunded for the item, and the remainder of the order will ship.

Last edited by diopter on 12/1/2019, 12:58 am; edited 2 times in total
diopter
diopter

Back to top Go down

1911 Trigger pull/sear kits. Empty Re: 1911 Trigger pull/sear kits.

Post by watercam 11/29/2019, 7:54 am

C&S has offered their pre-tuned ignition parts for some time. Supposedly they are mounted in a Colt frame and checked for spec. Choice of pull weights and with/with-out springs. Bearing in mind their track record I would look at their products first.

watercam

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 11/29/2019, 8:16 am

I installed a Cylinder & Slide drop in trigger kit for my Springfield Armory Trophy Match. The sear and hammer are forged parts. It is truly a drop in kit. The pull is on par with custom bullseye pistolsmith trigger jobs that I have had performed.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 11/29/2019, 9:13 am

I borrowed a Springfield Armory Range Officer once to use for Service Pistol EIC matches. The grip safety had been swapped out with a GI Mil Spec type, as did the thumb safety. The fire control parts had been changed out with a Cylinder and Slide kit that had a "retro" or "Mil Spec" looking hammer in it. It felt like a short/medium roll trigger and was very smooth. I liked it a lot. I have not had any other experiences with their kits besides this one. I've always been interested in their kits because of this but never had a reason to buy one for another gun. 

Keep in mind that no kit can truly be "drop-in". Every manufacturer of a frame will have slight differences in the dimensions of the frame and because of this the kit will not feel the same in all different frames. Many people like the KC roll trigger kit but I bought one a couple of years ago for one of my personal guns and it was not at all what I wanted. It did however feel great in a different gun I owned. After saying this - kits can be tuned or adjusted to get the feel you want but this is what makes me say "drop-in" is not really reliably "drop-in". Thats not to say you won't get lucky and it'll work the way you want it to. 

EGW makes a good kit, and I like using their hammer and sear. I recently bought a new sear jig to toy with and with it an EGW sear to try it out on. I was getting great results. 

Cylinder and Slide is a good option. 

You can try KC and if it doesn't feel the way you want he can adjust it to make it right for the feel you're looking for.

Harrison Design and Consulting makes some kits but I've never tried one. I have tried their True Radius Sear jig and their gunsmith fit sears and I like that too but I've only been able to get the feel I wanted with lighter poundages. Not so much with heavier triggers. With heavier triggers I like going back to the standard flat engagement surfaces. 

In the end you can only read reviews and try one. All of the parts I've mentioned above are quality parts but it just depends on how they ride in your gun.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Dash 11/30/2019, 5:42 pm

I have been eye balling the trigger kits from C&S for a while now but always felt the trigger on my 1911 was good enough. That was until I got to try the trigger on a 1911 that a guy I shoot with owns. He did his own work and got the trigger at just about 3lbs and it feels 100 times better than mine. My trigger is not crisp like I would want it to be, it feels like there is a lot of creep before the sear finally releases. I may have to try the C&S 3lb Warp Speed kit they sell just for target pistols and see how it works. Has anyone here tried one? 

https://cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=CS0106&sid=7zo2aw0k4k2zym630f98fp83ov6wm210
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 11/30/2019, 6:00 pm

Ray Dash wrote:I have been eye balling the trigger kits from C&S for a while now but always felt the trigger on my 1911 was good enough. That was until I got to try the trigger on a 1911 that a guy I shoot with owns. He did his own work and got the trigger at just about 3lbs and it feels 100 times better than mine. My trigger is not crisp like I would want it to be, it feels like there is a lot of creep before the sear finally releases. I may have to try the C&S 3lb Warp Speed kit they sell just for target pistols and see how it works. Has anyone here tried one? 

https://cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=CS0106&sid=7zo2aw0k4k2zym630f98fp83ov6wm210

If it’s a lower for a 22 conversion that’s all well and good but if it’s a 45 ACP for CF and 45 agg use, then 3 pounds is too light and not legal for match use. It must be no lighter than 3.5 pounds.

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 12/1/2019, 2:12 am

I highly recommend C&S kit #CS0226 - Ultra Match set (or, as an alternative, CS0220, if you prefer GI look). Out of all hammers and sears I have ever tried, these are easiest to work with and adjust to the desired weight and feel. I don't want to say anything bad about KC, Doug Hall, Harrison Design or any other high-end parts out there, I believe they are all top notch, so my recommendation is out of my personal experience and preferences.
I do have some doubts about the Warp Speed kit, I think it is more suitable for race guns. My concern is that low mass hammer may cause light strikes on some harder primers. But I've never tried it, so it's just my guess.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Dash 12/1/2019, 7:25 am

Thanks for the recommendation. Would you say that the C&S kit took all the creep out of the trigger pull?
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 12/1/2019, 8:57 am

Yes, out of the box it has a very crisp feel, and it also can be improved further if you are comfortable with stones and jigs. It can be made even shorter/crispier or smooth roll, any way you prefer. The supplied leaf spring also can be used as is or easily adjusted.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Dash 12/1/2019, 9:57 am

Ok I ordered one, looking forward to see how it feels.
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Post by NuJudge 12/1/2019, 1:09 pm

I believe the problem with export has to do with the US Arms Export Control Act, which bans export or import of firearms or components without a license.  Import licenses are handled by BATFE, Export licenses by our Department of State.  Penalties include a lengthy stay in Club Fed, and a fine of up to $1 Megabuck.  There is an exception for shipments under $100.  

There may be other problems on your end.

NuJudge

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 12/3/2019, 4:52 pm

cylinder and slide trigger pull kits are roll or crisp, are true drop in in springfields,etc??
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 12/3/2019, 7:28 pm

I put a KC kit in a Range Officer for a Nelson setup.  Also changed the hammer spring and guts in the MSH.  And added a Colt leaf spring.  All on KC advise.  No fitting needed for a great trigger.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Dash 12/7/2019, 9:16 pm

Got my C&S kit in the mail today and put it in my pistol. I had to do a little fitting of the safety but it went in pretty easily.  My slide is out getting some work done so I wont be able to try it until it comes back.
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Dash 12/23/2019, 7:30 pm

javaduke wrote:I highly recommend C&S kit #CS0226 - Ultra Match set (or, as an alternative, CS0220, if you prefer GI look). Out of all hammers and sears I have ever tried, these are easiest to work with and adjust to the desired weight and feel. I don't want to say anything bad about KC, Doug Hall, Harrison Design or any other high-end parts out there, I believe they are all top notch, so my recommendation is out of my personal experience and preferences.
I do have some doubts about the Warp Speed kit, I think it is more suitable for race guns. My concern is that low mass hammer may cause light strikes on some harder primers. But I've never tried it, so it's just my guess.
I got to try out my 1911 with the recommended CS026 kit and the trigger feels 100% better than the stock setup. I have it set at exactly 3 1/2 lbs but it's so crisp it actually feels lighter. Thanks for the recommendation.
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 12/24/2019, 12:05 pm

Ray Dash wrote:
javaduke wrote:I highly recommend C&S kit #CS0226 - Ultra Match set (or, as an alternative, CS0220, if you prefer GI look). Out of all hammers and sears I have ever tried, these are easiest to work with and adjust to the desired weight and feel. I don't want to say anything bad about KC, Doug Hall, Harrison Design or any other high-end parts out there, I believe they are all top notch, so my recommendation is out of my personal experience and preferences.
I got to try out my 1911 with the recommended CS026 kit and the trigger feels 100% better than the stock setup. I have it set at exactly 3 1/2 lbs but it's so crisp it actually feels lighter. Thanks for the recommendation.
Fitting required or Drop in?
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Dash 12/24/2019, 12:21 pm

The only fitting I had to do was file the thumb safety a little.
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 12/24/2019, 4:55 pm

Nice,thanks!
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down