Decocker v Safety for Bullseye

Go down

Decocker v Safety for Bullseye Empty Decocker v Safety for Bullseye

Post by KeystoneFlyer on Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:36 pm

Hi folks... 

Most if not all bullseye pistols are of the 1911 style with an external safety.  Unless I missed it in the rules, is a pistol with a decocker (i.e. non-1911) in lieu of said safety legal for across the course/2700 competition and if so, is it practical or a good idea?

New to bullseye...

Thanks,

KF

KeystoneFlyer

Posts : 2
Join date : 2019-07-17
Location : central PA

Back to top Go down

Decocker v Safety for Bullseye Empty Re: Decocker v Safety for Bullseye

Post by Wobbley on Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:00 pm

The way bullseye matches are run, there are only loaded guns on the line after the command load and every gun must be cleared to make the line safe.  Empty chamber indicators are often used and nobody touches firearms until the all people are back from scoring.  Safeties are seldom used if ever.  So long as all safety features are functional the pistol can be used.
Wobbley
Wobbley

Posts : 2370
Join date : 2015-02-13

Back to top Go down

Decocker v Safety for Bullseye Empty Re: Decocker v Safety for Bullseye

Post by dronning on Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:04 pm

Wobbley wrote:The way bullseye matches are run, there are only loaded guns on the line after the command load and every gun must be cleared to make the line safe.  Empty chamber indicators are often used required and nobody touches firearms until the all people are back from scoring.  Safeties are seldom used if ever.  So long as all safety features are functional the pistol can be used.
slight change
dronning
dronning

Posts : 2419
Join date : 2013-03-20
Age : 66
Location : Lakeville, MN

Back to top Go down

Decocker v Safety for Bullseye Empty Re: Decocker v Safety for Bullseye

Post by zanemoseley on Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:06 pm

dronning wrote:
Wobbley wrote:The way bullseye matches are run, there are only loaded guns on the line after the command load and every gun must be cleared to make the line safe.  Empty chamber indicators are often used required and nobody touches firearms until the all people are back from scoring.  Safeties are seldom used if ever.  So long as all safety features are functional the pistol can be used.
slight change
Not necessarily true for indoor matches, you can make it through an entire indoor match without ever touching a chamber indicator.

zanemoseley

Posts : 1642
Join date : 2015-07-11

Back to top Go down

Decocker v Safety for Bullseye Empty Re: Decocker v Safety for Bullseye

Post by dronning on Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:33 pm

zanemoseley wrote:
dronning wrote:
Wobbley wrote:The way bullseye matches are run, there are only loaded guns on the line after the command load and every gun must be cleared to make the line safe.  Empty chamber indicators are often used required and nobody touches firearms until the all people are back from scoring.  Safeties are seldom used if ever.  So long as all safety features are functional the pistol can be used.
slight change
Not necessarily true for indoor matches, you can make it through an entire indoor match without ever touching a chamber indicator.
Any match indoor or out that I have been to have required them.  Maybe a non NRA or CMP match doesn't but I've never shot at a non sanctioned match.  Even the air pistol matches I've been to require them.
dronning
dronning

Posts : 2419
Join date : 2013-03-20
Age : 66
Location : Lakeville, MN

Back to top Go down

Decocker v Safety for Bullseye Empty Re: Decocker v Safety for Bullseye

Post by cdrt on Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:16 pm

Any match indoor or out that I have been to have required them.  Maybe a non NRA or CMP match doesn't but I've never shot at a non sanctioned match.  Even the air pistol matches I've been to require them.
Agree. ECIs are required for all NRA and CMP matches, whether indoors or outdoor. The CMP even requires them when your pistols are in the box, but I haven't seen anyone enforce that rule.
cdrt
cdrt

Posts : 629
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Amarillo, Texas

Back to top Go down

Decocker v Safety for Bullseye Empty Re: Decocker v Safety for Bullseye

Post by KeystoneFlyer on Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:26 pm

For the comments thus far... thank you.

I have attended only one 2700 NRA sanctioned match and am really drawn to this style of competition... saw some great shooters.  I did not pay attention to some details... what I remember is that at the end of a course of fire, firearms are cleared, an ECI inserted, and then benched.  I did not look/ask about the use of safeties or decockers in this process.  Was wondering if a string is interrupted/cease fire (?) what is done to safe the line/pistols... would they be emptied/cleared or only safeties on, or what...? This is where the use of a safety vs decocker would dictate what a shooter would do to safe his firearm.  Please keep in mind again I only watched 1 match, so not all variances would have been witnessed.

I have a 45 with a decocker, and before I spend more money on accurizing it, I am questioning whether I should go buy a safety version or keep and use what I have?

Hope this further clarified my concern and “what if’s” in my selection and modification of the make pistol I am interested in...  (CZ 97 B vs CZ 97 BD).  I do have an accurized 1911, but want to use the CZ.

KF

KeystoneFlyer

Posts : 2
Join date : 2019-07-17
Location : central PA

Back to top Go down

Decocker v Safety for Bullseye Empty Re: Decocker v Safety for Bullseye

Post by Allgoodhits on Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:28 pm

From my experiences at BE/Precision Pistol Matches when the line needs to be made safe, I have never heard any command or instructions about the Safety as a device on the pistol.  

It is, "unload, magazines out, cylinders open and empty chamber indicator in place, guns on the bench or in the box. Make the line safe. Precise language may vary.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Posts : 346
Join date : 2017-09-17
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Decocker v Safety for Bullseye Empty Re: Decocker v Safety for Bullseye

Post by WesG on Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:42 pm

Safety can't be engaged on a 1911 with the slide open anyway. Only one I have is the Browning HP, it's used for takedown.

WesG

Posts : 91
Join date : 2018-09-21
Location : SF Bay Area, Austin TX

Back to top Go down

Decocker v Safety for Bullseye Empty Decock or Safety?

Post by Richard Ashmore on Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:01 am

KeystoneFlyer wrote:For the comments thus far... thank you.

I have attended only one 2700 NRA sanctioned match and am really drawn to this style of competition... saw some great shooters.  I did not pay attention to some details... what I remember is that at the end of a course of fire, firearms are cleared, an ECI inserted, and then benched.  I did not look/ask about the use of safeties or decockers in this process.  Was wondering if a string is interrupted/cease fire (?) what is done to safe the line/pistols... would they be emptied/cleared or only safeties on, or what...? This is where the use of a safety vs decocker would dictate what a shooter would do to safe his firearm.  Please keep in mind again I only watched 1 match, so not all variances would have been witnessed.

I have a 45 with a decocker, and before I spend more money on accurizing it, I am questioning whether I should go buy a safety version or keep and use what I have?

Hope this further clarified my concern and “what if’s” in my selection and modification of the make pistol I am interested in...  (CZ 97 B vs CZ 97 BD).  I do have an accurized 1911, but want to use the CZ.

KF
The rule only requires that factory safety devices work properly; the rule does not require a safety device.  

There is no situation in the rules that calls for “Put your safeties on.”  It’s always “Unload.”
Richard Ashmore
Richard Ashmore

Posts : 122
Join date : 2012-02-17

Back to top Go down

Decocker v Safety for Bullseye Empty Re: Decocker v Safety for Bullseye

Post by MarkF45 on Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:45 pm

You guys have all done a great job of not answering the OP's original question.

Yes, a 45 with a decocker is legal in the CF and 45 portions of the match.

There are no restrictions on what type of pistol you can use in a 2700.

MarkF45

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-12-24

Back to top Go down

Decocker v Safety for Bullseye Empty Re: Decocker v Safety for Bullseye

Post by MarkF45 on Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:55 pm

For the second question: what happens if a string is interrupted?

It depends on why it was interrupted, and what the next step is.

If it's something that requires someone to go downrange to fix it, then the procedure will be to unload, lock the slide back (or leave the cylinder open) and put the pistol on the bench.

If not, the command might just be "Stand by".

In general, thumb safeties and decocking levers aren't used in Precision Pistol. Whether a pistol has them or not is really irrelevant.

MarkF45

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-12-24

Back to top Go down

Decocker v Safety for Bullseye Empty Re: Decocker v Safety for Bullseye

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum