Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WTB - Strong Case 2 or 3 Gun Pistol Box - will pay $$$ + shipping

Go down

WTB - Strong Case 2 or 3 Gun Pistol Box - will pay $$$ + shipping  Empty WTB - Strong Case 2 or 3 Gun Pistol Box - will pay $$$ + shipping

Post by Jersey Jack on Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:53 pm

Looking for a 2 or 3 gun Strong Case...I know its a slim chance even to find used one. Location - The Great Republic of New Jersey!

My 13yr old daughter started to take interest in bullseye and turned out to be a pretty good shot....so i'm looking to equip her for matches and a Camp Perry trip 2020.

I've seen a few WTB posts, but i'm an optimist...you never know. Will pay shipping $   

I've looked up Greg W's custom boxes...but I feel the aluminum Strong Case could be a tad bit lighter for my daughter to carry.

Appreciate any leads if you come across other sites

Thanks
Jack

Last edited by Jersey Jack on Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Jersey Jack
Jersey Jack

Back to top Go down

WTB - Strong Case 2 or 3 Gun Pistol Box - will pay $$$ + shipping  Empty Re: WTB - Strong Case 2 or 3 Gun Pistol Box - will pay $$$ + shipping

Post by SW-52 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:13 am

I read rhe greg boxes are more light than strong case.
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

WTB - Strong Case 2 or 3 Gun Pistol Box - will pay $$$ + shipping  Empty Re: WTB - Strong Case 2 or 3 Gun Pistol Box - will pay $$$ + shipping

Post by Greg Walloch on Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:49 am

In my experience, it’s not the box weight that becomes the problem, it’s what folks...myself included, put in it.  I can make a 2-Gun box that weighs about 6 pounds, lighter if I don’t include magnets.  When loaded, my personal box comes in at around 25 pounds.

Greg Walloch

Greg Walloch

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK on Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:56 am

I like to keep ammo & seldom used "necessary" tools in a separate tool bag.
I think that most of us over pack for most matches.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH on Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:48 pm

STEVE SAMELAK wrote:I like to keep ammo & seldom used "necessary" tools in a separate tool bag.
I think that most of us over pack for most matches.
Well ya! Isn't that what all the empty space is for? Can't let all that space go to waste!
I have everything that anybody on the line could ever need!Very Happy. I slim it all down...and then somehow it finds its way back in there....
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK on Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:56 pm

I seem to remember some of the more senior shooters "helping me out" by emptying their boxes into mine.
I have since started passing it along.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler on Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:27 pm

There are Strong Cases that pop up from time to time. I had to pay 350 for the large model 20inch. It was 275 new!!
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by Jersey Jack on Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:50 am

Greg Walloch wrote:In my experience, it’s not the box weight that becomes the problem, it’s what folks...myself included, put in it.  I can make a 2-Gun box that weighs about 6 pounds, lighter if I don’t include magnets.  When loaded, my personal box comes in at around 25 pounds.

Greg Walloch

Thanks Greg! I agree its what you put in it...appreciate the input. Will think about the 2-gun box. Do you use 1/2" plywood on those?

Thanks
Jersey Jack
Jersey Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Walloch on Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:10 am

I typically make all boxes out of 3/8”, except for the top, which must be 1/2”.

Greg Walloch

Back to top Go down

Post by Jersey Jack on Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:52 am

Bump
Jersey Jack
Jersey Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Walloch on Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:59 am

J,

Here’s my thinking on this.  I can make a 2-Gun box with 1/4” except for the top and bottom.  Without magnets, it’d probably be around 4 pounds. 

G

Greg Walloch

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover on Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:35 am

Greg Walloch wrote:J,

Here’s my thinking on this.  I can make a 2-Gun box with 1/4” except for the top and bottom.  Without magnets, it’d probably be around 4 pounds. 

G
Greg, can I ask what joints you use on your wood boxes?  Is it just a butt joint?, dado?  

Thank you in advance
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Walloch on Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:43 am

Just a butt joint.  Glue and narrow crown staples.  Once the glue is set, the joints aren’t going anywhere.  Boxes are only stressed at three points for the most part...the bottom, the top, and the drawer supports.  I’ve done finger joints, and love the look on an unfinished box, but it takes a ton of time to do it right...too much time.

Greg Walloch

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet on Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:48 am

I can say that I have a 3 gun Strong box and it is very heavy compared to other 3 gun boxes by Pachmyer or others. My box made by Greg is excellent. Weight was the main reason I went to Greg but I went with a 2 gun design so I can't give a fair comparison. The build quality is excellent.
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover on Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:14 pm

Greg Walloch wrote:Just a butt joint.  Glue and narrow crown staples.  Once the glue is set, the joints aren’t going anywhere.  Boxes are only stressed at three points for the most part...the bottom, the top, and the drawer supports.  I’ve done finger joints, and love the look on an unfinished box, but it takes a ton of time to do it right...too much time.
I agree.  I have a few box’s some buddies want with box joints so I’ll try to knock them out over the winter.

I have a different concept for the drawer..I don’t like the blocks on the inside top and bottom.  And a drawer glide is too heavy for sure.
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger on Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:40 pm

I have a 3 gun strong box. When I go to the range I'll take a 22 and a couple 45's. 100 rounds for each. I have my brass catcher and base attached on the outside. Two magnets full of magazines. Pulled a muscle in my back pulling it out of the back seat floor last week. Now I split the weight up. Guns and ammo in a range bag and everything else in the box. Getting old sucks.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum