Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bought a oddly designed 22lr barrel, need advice.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bought a oddly designed 22lr barrel, need advice.  - Page 2 Empty Bought a oddly designed 22lr barrel, need advice.

Post by Damend on Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hello,
I am in need of some professional advice. I recently purchased an aftermarket barreled receiver for a Ruger MKIV. I thought it would be cool to get in early on a new design from a newer company. At this point I realize that may have been a bit foolish considering my budget and experience level.
Long story short, I have a barrel with a feed ramp that is relieved into the chamber. They did not break the corner of the breechface,  but actually moved the feed ramp into the chamber slightly by design, seemingly to improve feeding.
This small space creates a pocket that allows the casings to swell. It is uniform among all fired rounds regardless of brand so far. This seems pretty crazy to me but the manufacturer maintains that this is part of the design, despite not being advertised as such.
My two questions are:
1 - Is this safe?
2 - If safe enough to use, will this gun be allowed for use in competition?

Any and all insights welcome, thanks in advance.Bought a oddly designed 22lr barrel, need advice.  - Page 2 F5d7bd10
Bought a oddly designed 22lr barrel, need advice.  - Page 2 69f6a310
Bought a oddly designed 22lr barrel, need advice.  - Page 2 8640ac10Bought a oddly designed 22lr barrel, need advice.  - Page 2 F5d7bd10
Damend
Damend

Back to top Go down

Bought a oddly designed 22lr barrel, need advice.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bought a oddly designed 22lr barrel, need advice.

Post by Damend on Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:09 am

I could have purchased a Paclite and saved $100. I bought the Maddmacs upper for the options and the rear sights they use which are made by kensight.
Damend
Damend

Back to top Go down

Bought a oddly designed 22lr barrel, need advice.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bought a oddly designed 22lr barrel, need advice.

Post by LenV on Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:55 am

When you say Southern Oregon does that mean Kfalls, Brookings or Lakeview area? Before you plasma that barrel I wouldn't mind playing with it.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by watercam on Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:07 pm

Consider having Clarks Custom barrel your receiver. I know you are out $400 already but aside from buying a new or used pistol rebarreling is the only choice left. That and suing them before they go bankrupt.

watercam

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA on Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:24 pm

Is there a reason why the breech face couldn't be machined back to eliminate unsupported area of the case?

I'm not at all familiar with what you have there, so just asking.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar on Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:21 pm

You're gonna have a tough time reloading that brass.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans on Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:03 pm

What about relining the barrel?

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by watercam on Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:39 pm

THERE'S a good idea!

watercam

Back to top Go down

Post by Damend on Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:01 pm

Does relining the barrel involve a new breech face? The barrel is extremely accurate as is.
Damend
Damend

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG on Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:48 pm

Assuming its threaded in, it could be set back and the entire breech face redone. But it would likely leave a visible break in the paint.

A liner would only cover a portion of the ramp. How that would all blend back together is hard to guess.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley on Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:38 pm

Have you called your CC company? I would be disputing that charge like yesterday... They delivered a defective and unsafe product and are not standing behind it so I wouldn't show them any mercy. Get your money back of you still can. Also relining the barrel ain't cheap, why throw good money after bad.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV on Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:44 pm

Don't forget. This was a replacement barrel. I'm sure he still has the original that can be put back on and blast away. I sure wouldn't try to re-line the bad barrel with a good one on the shelve.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by radjag on Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:48 pm

+1 both Zane & Len

radjag

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 on Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:20 pm

LenV wrote:Don't forget. This was a replacement barrel. I'm sure he still has the original that can be put back on and blast away. I sure wouldn't try to re-line the bad barrel with a good one on the shelve.

Len

Which leads me to ask. I've seen it mentioned here on this forum, and have heard it in conversations at matches, that a Ruger Mk series pistol will take most if not all people up to Master classification with nothing more than a trigger job and maybe better grips. If true, why do people feel the need to change barrels? I'm not trying to insult the intelligence of the OP at all here. 

I would imagine that if a bone stock Ruger MkIV was placed in a Ransom Rest and tested at 50 yards with quality ammo, it would chew up the X-ring all day long. So why the aftermarket barrel? 

I picked up a Ruger MkII from a Pawn shop in Wisconsin that was being sold from an estate sale. It was tagged as still new, and very much appeared to be new. $250. Added a VQ trigger kit $110. Added used like new Rink grips $150. For $510 I have a pistol that shoots every bit as good as my $1000 Benelli.
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum